Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Basically every time I see someone with confederate anything I just assume what they're trying to advertise is they're a racist.  For whatever reason history has told us that the Civil War was 100% about slavery and even though it was a major issue they were fighting over it was hardly the only reason.

Yep, they may give excuses like "pride, freedom, heritage, states rights". Bullshit, it's advertising that they don't like black people.  

I recently saw a truck flying a massive confederate flag. It was a small mountain-ish town in California so seeing confederate license plates and maybe a flag in front of a house isn't particularly rare (still uncommon though, thankfully) but seeing a truck actually waving a massive flag? Was kind of taken back.

and there is a kinda repro thing going on, especially inside japanese mc gangs, that embraces the hells angel swastika to express their lifestyle. which isn't cool at all.

I see this all the time with a few Japanese Instagrammers unfortunately...

As a German and probably also because I always liked Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet and other Southern Rock I grew up thinking the Confederate flag was kind of like the Bavarian flag, e.g. coming down to harmless pride in your home region that didn't automatically involve racism. Of course I knew US history but I always thought the connection to slavery had been severed.

For years I even had a patch on my denim jacket with a small Elvis head in the middle of the Confederate flag - until one day a coworker from the US (who also was black) told me that if he hadn't known me before seeing me in the jacket with patch for the first time, he'd probably have avoided talking to me during smoke breaks :D Set me straight on the flag pretty quickly.

I recently saw a truck flying a massive confederate flag. It was a small mountain-ish town in California so seeing confederate license plates and maybe a flag in front of a house isn't particularly rare (still uncommon though, thankfully) but seeing a truck actually waving a massive flag? Was kind of taken back.

When I visited my cousin's house one of their neighbors was flying a massive confederate flag right below an equally massive American flag.  It struck me as extremely odd to have two flags which basically represent the opposite with the Union flag being the basis for the modern American flag and of course the Confederate flag being the banner under which the South seceded from the union.  But then again I pretty much assume anyone in America with a confederate flag to be extraordinarily ignorant and small minded so I doubt he would even scratch the irony of the matter.

Over in the UK, if you see a St George flag dangling out of a window or off the side of a house it's usually assumed it belongs to racists. This is unfortunate and is largely due to the English Defence League and hooliganism in general.

Oddly enough the Union Jack doesn't have the same connotation (for me anyway). Nor do the flags of the other UK countries.

Over in the UK, if you see a St George flag dangling out of a window or off the side of a house it's usually assumed it belongs to racists. This is unfortunate and is largely due to the English Defence League and hooliganism in general.

Oddly enough the Union Jack doesn't have the same connotation (for me anyway). Nor do the flags of the other UK countries.

In the USA if you see a union jack in a girl's dorm room it is always next to a poster of Marilyn Monroe (sometimes Audrey Hepburn) and I've found out from my times in college you need to run, not walk, away from these girls :)

Having an English fiance and living in Scotland you find out how hard it is for the English to be patriotic without coming off as EDL, hooligans or as Royalists. The Scots live off their patriotism, its the defining thing about our country and we love it. If I had to talk about our country I wouldn't start with the innovation, or art, I'd start with the rolling snow topped hills of the cairngorms, the calm waters of our Loch's and the taste of our springwater mixed with an Islay single malt. That's how we promote ourselves. 

When we go to the pub and watch any sport where England plays as a nation (6 Nations Rugby most recently) the English people I know usually stay pretty quiet, mainly due to the "Anyone but England" attitude to who the Scots will support in fixtures. When it comes to supporting loudly, they very quickly come off as over patriotic, or presumed they are hooligans, and frankly they'll get dirty looks and told to be quiet.

This wont happen to any other nation supporting their county in an event, and in my eyes is a sad reflection of my country. A lot of it comes from the aforementioned "Anyone but the English" attitude that Scots have had for generations due to our history (Mel Gibson sure did a number on our collective consciousness) but is outmoded, and frankly xenophobic. 

You'll hear plenty of justifications from my fellow countrymen about it just being banter, but I am born and bred Scottish, I think its shameful. That's just my two cents.

Just found out that BiG now offers free shipping and reduced Prices on Samurais. (Not sure when SE started offering free shipping but I was kinda surprised by it when I ordered lately). The competition seems to get harder.

yeah me too, since i found out i didnt stop staring at the sams wwii model like a lunatic

Anyone got suggestions for places that make custom-fit men's casual shirts? Custom dress shirt sites are a dime a dozen but I'm more interested in stuff like 3Sixteen or Flat Head make - just with a custom fit. I haven't had much luck finding anything.

Also, what's a good source for high-quality T-shirts that fit slim and relatively long? I like a slightly wider neck or henley style.

I believe SE has had free shipping for many years.

We've had free shipping for ten years, since we started.

Anyone got suggestions for places that make custom-fit men's casual shirts? Custom dress shirt sites are a dime a dozen but I'm more interested in stuff like 3Sixteen or Flat Head make - just with a custom fit. I haven't had much luck finding anything.

Also, what's a good source for high-quality T-shirts that fit slim and relatively long? I like a slightly wider neck or henley style.

have you tried lady white shirts? they're on the longer side. 

Without reservation I HIGHLY recommend Pistol Lake for MIA middleweight tee's. They have a restock coming in may. I own 3 of them and absolutely love them. They haven't faded in the slightest or lost shape.

• 3 weeks later...

Come on everyone, what are your rarest/most collectable/treasured jeans? Could be a pair of vintage 1880s Levi's, a limited edition pair of Denimes or anything else. I'll start:

- late 60s vintage Levis (size 25 and raw) squirrelled away for my boy

- natural indigo LVC Japan (503BSXX) from 1991

- Valencia St LVC 1944s (1999 production)

- Warehouse 15th anniversary 1001XX (still raw)

- Warehouse Warren prototype (from 2007, I think) x2

- Sugar Cane slack denim (40601)

- Studio D'artisan 001 (LHT) - now out of production I believe

EDIT: I don't think any of these are my favourites, that what be a pair of Ande Whall SR7s and some ancient Edwin Waynesvilles now chopped into shorts.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

good question .......

. vintage 1955-57 ( leather patch ) 503zxx Levis for baby Jack ( about 4 weeks untill he is here :)

. Evis 2101 

had a pair years ago but in a moment of madness i sold them , searched for quite a while before i found a pair on yahoo auctions that fit the bill 

. Ooe yofukuten 9102xx contest jeans 

first and only contest i have took part in 

Edited by Flash

I'll play your game Maynard.

My most treasured jeans might be my TCB's since the contest was a lot of fun but I think I'll treasure my Warehouse World Tour jeans very high when they come back home too.

Some other gems:

* Denime 10th anniversary 1937's

* Warehouse 15th anniversary 1105

* Sugar Cane SC40400

* Denime 506XX from the Orizzonti era

* Hunt's (can't remember the model number)

don't own anything vintage but maybe come collectibles:

- rising sun pike jacket that never made it into production. what i've got is a prototype, heard it on the denimvine that it's only 1 of 6 in the history of mankind.

- a flat head x miwa komatsu thc tee that was only available from sydney's corlection, now sold out.

- mf veste ouvrier (don't know if this is collectible but sold out on mf site and some people are looking for it)

- mf gilet de ville, the johnny depp vest, again from the les apaches collection. same case as above.

- sda champloo jeans made by double volante. supposed to be a limited edition but mine is no. 380/500 so not that limited.

My only (probably) rare Jeans are also 1999 WWII 501s from Valencia Street. Maybe also the first Samurai Naniwa Special, 710OG, the BKBs or DMOs and Eternal 888 as they were limited releases. But I doubt you'd even get the retail price for a new pair at the moment. I had a vintage 70s Type III that sold for little money. I think I could get most money out of some rare IH shirts, like the 20, 31 or 87. It's the only brand where the second hand market pays reasonable Prices.

Edited by Max Power

Great idea MF. Mine would be:

• Valencia Street LVC 47s - still raw & unwashed - in a very versatile 30/38! These will be hemmed for one of my boys.

• Sugar Cane 1947 with outlawed tabs and arcuates picked up from American Classics many moons ago.

And worth a mention are some LVC x Stussy that are loosely based on a 1955 model. They were for Stussy's 25th anniversary. I'm not massively into street wear but the denim on them is fantastic.

Edited by unders

Most treasured jeans definitely is the ooe 9101xx contest jeans, same sentiment as flash. One of their last projects where custom detail is still possible.

Other specials:

-SC 40400 (arcuate still mostly intact)

-Eternal 872

-RS Blacksmith (DB competition prototype)

-Tender Co Type 131 (Special version logwood dye for Burg & Schild)

From a collector’s standpoint I have several pairs that are dear to me (that’s why I bought and own still own them). To make a short list is rather hard but I’ll try my best and focus only on the “rare†jeans.

·         DenimJunkie DJ-501XX:

My first pair of Japanese made jeans with lots of crazy details. I still have them but can barely fit them. Still a pair I won’t let go. The guy behind DenimJunkie has long stopped his project.

·         Denime 66XX (pre McCoys-era):

My first pair from a real Japanese brand, my first contest and a pair with great fit and denim. Have them in size 34 and size 36. Not easy to obtain a pair these times. Stopped being produced in 2010.

·         Denime Toyko Edition:

This pair could only be bought in person in Denime’s Toyko branch. The more I was surprised to be able to track down a pair in BNWT condition in my size, many years after Denime stopped selling them (also stopped in 2010/2011).

·         Denime 10th Anniversary:

Released in a sealed vacuum bag as a limited edition in 1998. Thanks to Yahoo Auction I was able to get a still sealed pair in my size. The plastic smell when I opened the bag was unbelievable!

·         SugarCane SC40400:

SugarCane’s natural indigo version of the Hawaii model. Single-needle construction, full of details and a unique denim. Shame that SC stopped producing them. Lucky that I own a pair that I can wear (although it’s a size 32).

·         Samurai S0500XX:

By no means a rare pair of jeans. But I’ll add them here as the S0500XX Contest (as Sufu’s first denim contest) brought me to Samurai jeans and I prefer my pair to the new ones because it still has the old arc design ;)

Damn…I could really make this list even longer (Evisu, more Denime, Neutral Jeans, more SugarCanes)

Terms like rare and valuable have little meaning or relevance to me as I actually wear (or intent to wear) most of my collection. It only means these pieces are harder to get by and might trade for higher price tags in the second hand market.

Given the manufacturing processes, the machinery and the distribution models with their small production runs - the results are actually unique and limited lots. Even if the initial intention was to reproduce or recreate the exact run the following season...

There are certain jeans and denims that I treasure more than others in my collection and there are those jeans that I consider special or uniques for various reasons.

My favorite jeans and denims are:

FullCount's 1100-10 - a 1108 cut , using a 16.5oz Australian cotton denim

Samurai's Jin original series denim over various lots, especially S0110XJ and S0120XJ collected as faded pairs and the S0111XJ and S0222XJ jackets.

Samurai's VX denim in the form of their S5000VX cut

Samurai's recent organic denim in form of their S553OG16oz jacket.

Studio D'Artisan's standard denim in the form of their OKI-515 jeans.

SugarCane's mix denim in the form of Mr.Freedom's Lot.64 Okinawa Edition.

Warehouse's cotton/linen mix used for their Lot 1001L/C.

There are a lot more examples in my collection, but these come to mind immediately.

Here is what I consider special or unique:

Eternal 877

SugarCane SC40510

SugarCane SC40300

SugarCane SC40400

SugarCane SC40500

Kicking Mule 1950 Awa

Oni Awa Shoai

PBJ AI-002

PBJ 6077

R by 45RPM Nando*Nando

Samurai S0510AI-OGSP

Samurai S5000AI-OGSP

Samurai S5000AI-10SP

Studio D'Artisan D1677

And, of course, a few Persimmon dyed pieces:

Eternal 54727

FullCount 2858

Samurai S5000-KA

...not to mention the SugarCane Persimmon models as well.