The Flat Head

LFC4ever

17 hours ago, 1fookntitefd said:

I really want a pair of flat head jeans but it looks like only Franklin and Poe stockpiles in the US. How come there aren’t any other retailers who carry any jeans?

Iron Shop Provisions in LA. Private and Co in Canada. Rivet and Hide in UK. Redcast Heritage in Spain. 

What model are you looking for? 

9 hours ago, mpukas said:

Iron Shop Provisions in LA. Private and Co in Canada. Rivet and Hide in UK. Redcast Heritage in Spain. 

What model are you looking for? 

Was thinking about the 3004 but only if I can go TTS so am unsure on sizing. Now I’m more interested in whatever Self Edge is coming out with so I’m planning to just wait.

Visited The Flat Head store in Harajuku (Jinguemae) when in Tokyo a couple of weeks ago. Got a tee and a black/yellow checked flannel workshirt. The store clerk was incredibly friend and enthusiatic and helped me out with sizing. Highly recommend that shop any time you're in the area/

4 hours ago, blooming said:

Visited The Flat Head store in Harajuku (Jinguemae) when in Tokyo a couple of weeks ago. Got a tee and a black/yellow checked flannel workshirt. The store clerk was incredibly friend and enthusiatic and helped me out with sizing. Highly recommend that shop any time you're in the area/

Really nice people in there but the sizes stop at US Medium. Couldn’t get anything there and it hurt. Really nice T-Shirts and flannels. Unfortunate

I almost never saw anything over size 42 when I lived in Japan. It was pretty much just overseas retailers ordering bigger sizes than that.

However, since TFH reorganized a few years ago, everything seems to run a size bigger than before, so a 42 is more like a 44 in the "old" Flat Head. Still, I think this just highlights the size disparity in western vs. Japanese body types. Almost everybody I knew when I worked there wore a size 38, only one or two people as large as a 40.

Can anyone tell me if Flat Head shirts shrink in the wash. It's the heavy flannel models I'm asking about.

Hi @CSL, my experience with a FH heavy flannel shirt is that it did shrink a bit over time after washing at 40°C, without using a tumble drier. I may have washed it at 60°C once.

Virtually all TFH shirts are one-washed so they shouldn't shrink unless you absolutely blast them with a tumble dry. I've owned quite a few TFH shirts and never noticed any of them to shrink at all with a cold wash and hang drying.

Wonderful fades on those 5005s @el padre, you don't see those a lot around here but the 5000 series denim fades quite nicely.

Thanks Maynard, & Cold Summer for the advice. 

Edited by CSL

• 3 weeks later...

3009, a year old with a couple washes, noticed the other day there were 2 perfect lines going across the bottom of the whiskers. basically the pocket bags end right there and have a little bump that created a line and crease.

20240329_141633.thumb.jpg.acd6ee005f5789e83f267f7a2afb8ba2.jpg20240329_141516.thumb.jpg.49edd75845669a5cd9f182c77a9f0bf3.jpg

20240329_141705~2.jpg

Edited by dennnnnnnnn

Lovely fades on those! Yes, if a pair fits slim in the thighs sometimes you'll get a fade from the pocket bags, I had that happen on some of my very slim fitting pairs from "the early years" of denim nerdery.

I'm still trucking along in my 3005s, which are approaching eight months of real wear time. Once it really gets hot I'll probably wash and shelve these for a bit in favor of my Warehouse 1001xx, which are the best "hot weather" jeans I've worn, though I suspect they'll only make it another 2-3 months of wear before the knees and/or rear end wear through.

3005s aren't awful for summer once broken in, though. Hopefully I'll have managed some noteworthy fades in this pair by then.