Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Yeah I intentionally don't wear my long wallet to unfamiliar places.  Like I said it is attached with a lanyard which is probably a deterent but if someone ripped it hard enough it could probably take my belt loop off.  If I lived in an inner city where I frequently walk past hundreds of people a day I'd probably let go of my long wallet.  It probably isn't a huge issue in Japan with their crime rate being so low.

I generally clip an extra-long extendable dog lead to my jeans belt loop and attach the other end to my safe at home. That way I'm always in touch with my valuables and get an extra feeling of security when out and about.

I never had any issues in Japan, where pickpocketing is virtually nonexistent (or in Thailand.) If anything your wallet is safer because you immediately notice if it's no longer in your pocket (unlike a low-profile wallet) and the chain/rope takes some effort to get off, especially for someone unfamiliar with such things.

Sure, the would-be thief could try beating you up and taking it, but it's not like having a smaller wallet is going to be any deterrent to somebody who really, really wants to rob you. It's more about deterring a sneaky pickpocket (where having something to secure your wallet could actually be pretty useful.)

I think it's a waste of time worrying about these kinds of extreme situations that are, let's face it, incredibly rare. Just wear the type of wallet you like. In my experience wearing one in the US, hardly anybody even knew what it was, let alone realized that it was my wallet. 

Wore a long wallet for one day, found it super annoying to sit down and always was afraid it could fall out of the pocket or be stolen. So I'm back to my short wallet.

What I'd really like to own is a nice FH or Red Moon slim short-medium wallet (not bigger than backpockets) with coin pocket and space for the cards. There's almost only cardholders or long wallets out there, no real option made of good leather (like FH for example). Is it because Americans don't carry that much coins and Japanes go for long wallets?

I know I've said this before but I love my OGL mid wallet. Just pokes out of top of my back pocket and is attached with a non obnoxious lanyard, no beads, plaits or long bits hanging off. I leave the lanyard off if going anywhere formal.

I'd notice anyone pulling on it in an instance.

I'd be trulying gutted to ever lose it. I lost one in a burglary a few years ago and it was the one material possession lost that truly gutted me.

Wore a long wallet for one day, found it super annoying to sit down and always was afraid it could fall out of the pocket or be stolen. So I'm back to my short wallet.

What I'd really like to own is a nice FH or Red Moon slim short-medium wallet (not bigger than backpockets) with coin pocket and space for the cards. There's almost only cardholders or long wallets out there, no real option made of good leather (like FH for example). Is it because Americans don't carry that much coins and Japanes go for long wallets?

I can speak as an American we use coins very, very rarely.  And it is getting even more rare.  We never really caught on to what Europe does with having larger values on coins.  The only coins actually used are breakdowns for less than a dollar.  So we don't have a concept of really using a $1 or $5 coin.  Every time they've tried to move to larger value coins they've all failed.  Anymore I'd say even with the older generation most people are purely using plastic money these days.

But here seems to be a Redmoon that may fit your bill? 

http://blueingreensoho.com/collections/redmoon/products/redmoon-s-hd01-short-wallet-natural?variant=8313237697

Edited by dwilson123

I was forever on the hunt for the right wallet, small to mid sized slim bifold with side slot for travel cards and no coin pouch (jeans front pocket does fine). Would have ordered from Hollows Leather but my Gran fit the bill with a slim Italian number a Christmas ago.

Other wallets may be better made, but no other could have more sentimental value. I'd be gutted if I lost it, I think it's definitely a case of substance over style.

Edited by heyheyhey

It really surprises me that more people with long wallets aren't posting waywt pics sporting back eyes , have none of you had an experience where someone tried to grab it ?

Dunno about the others, but there are no pickpockets where I live. Same here in TW as in Japan in terms of petty crime, which is why they go crazy making long wallets.

Of course, were someone to get sticky fingers, that's what the rein/chain is for.

Edited by Iron Horse

Having rediscovered my love for denim recently I am looking to pick up a new pair of jeans. I have spent the last couple of days reading through many of the old threads on Sufu, including Full Count, Eternal, Samurai, Denime and SDA, and lots of different denims and cuts have interested me. My question is two fold...

What are you favourite denims and why?

Which jeans hold a special place in your heart and why?

I'm looking to be inspired.

My favorite denim is evisu no.1 special. I know they change the no 1 fabric from time to time but the one I got a year ago is amazing.

I really like the 60s cut on the 2000s so I guess that both they cut and fabric on my evisu is special for me.

Favorite denims ? probably the warehouse 1000xx and 1001xx denims

Special jeans ?  this is a hard question to answer because i think it changes depending on maybe what denim blogs you have read recently or maybe someone posts a really cool pic on a forum  and it gets you thinking about certain pairs in your collection but my first pair are 100% locked in

First pair are not my jeans per say but a pair i bought for my Son ( 2 more weeks untill the due date :) ) , they are a pair of vintage 55-57 503zxx 

20160218_170119_zpsne393gzb.jpg

Second pair are a pair of Cushman 22501 made by Conners Sewing Factory , bought them recently and they have quickly become one of my favourite pairs , everything from the subtle 13.5oz denim to the stitching ( the jeans were made on period correct vintage machines so the stitching would reflect vintage examples of the same era ) are a treat to look at , seems every time i pick them up i notice something else i never seen before  

20160418_182239_zpsl9x4n1la.jpg

Edited by Flash

Good to see you're feeling inspired again Mega, nice to have to back.

We kinda discussed this a few pages back, might find more inspiration there!

I'd like to mention TCB 50's denim - and not just because it was a nice contest. I'm still somewhat mesmerized by the subtle vertical falling and the soft touch, it's pretty much the sweet spot for me. It was a bastard when it came to letting go of that precious indigo but damn when it took off it was all the good stuff.

Warehouse 1001's and SDA 101's deserves a mention, I've never looked back at slim fits after that. And fantastic fabrics too. The 101's looks damn boring at first but it is beautiful when it starts to pop.

Then there's also Denimbridge which I think is highly underrated. Guess I need to beat up my pair faster so we get a faded sample on the forum.

Man, there's so many great pairs. I feel like I must restrain myself, haha. 

^

Congrats Flash!

Favorite denim right now definitely still is Kapital Kakishibu century denim.

Really unique fabric & perfectly embodies the east (Sashiko + Kakishibu dye) meets west (5 pocket jeans construction) concept.

Will not yield contrasty fades, its subtler but when the blue threads fade out with abit of the Kakishibu, really beautiful stuff!

Note: Kapital currently is in the process of releasing a new variant of this fabric which blends 3 Indigo dye threads together (Japanese, American, Natural) , have not touch nor seen it so I cannot comment on it. Description of the dye highly interest me though. 

Jeans with special place in my heart...I would say the contest Ooe Yofukuten jeans. 

First denim competition I participate in & one of their last project where you can highly customized the details, really makes it special to me.

Edited by redragon

Thanks guys, I read the thread but couldn't find anything specific on this, that will teach me to read when tired.

I'm currently considering the following...

Eternal 811

SDA 101

Samurai 0500

Full Count 1101

Denime 66

Japan Blue JB0401

I still love my Iron Hearts, I have three pairs in rotation at the moment along with my Trophy and Sauce Zhan, I just want something more.....traditional, if that makes sense.

Well, as I've been thinking of getting some Eternals and Fullcount recently, also the Denime 66 I have had three of your pairs on the list. I decided for FC, as the fit worked best and the 13,75 denim is featured in so many japanes mags with awesome results. Plus for the upcoming Summer they are the lightest choice.

Also, they fit the bill of something traditional pretty good (I see where you're coming from, just said yesterday that those heavyweight stuff looses appeal over time).

Edited by Max Power

The Full Count denim does look amazing, the wear I've seen on most pairs looks really vintage style too, which is something I am interested in. The Denime 66 also looks great for vintage wear.

The thing which puts me off slightly with the Sammies is I have heard some complaints about quality recently, plus they bleed out pretty quickly, so they might be out.

I don't know much about Japan Blue, but they are much cheaper than a lot of brands, make and dye their own denim, and the worn examples look really nice too.

On the subject of heavy denim, I still love it and will probably always favour more substantial jeans simply because I find it more comfortable, but I am definitely more open these days to try a more vintage cut and lighter denim to compliment what I already wear.

I have a pair of Denime basic 66, they also drop their indigo pretty fast. A bit wonky cut with the oversized waist measurement. Great none the less and I really like how the denim turns out.

The Eternal denim is awsome, but if you're interested in something more traditional and vintage fades I'd go with Full Count or SDA.

Never handled Japan Blue though, so I'm not gonna comment on those.

Momotaro 0201 (vintage label) are worth considering Mega. I've just had my 0901s tapered and hemmed and am looking forward to wearing them in the autumn.

EDIT: I meant 0201

Edited by Maynard Friedman

Mega, don't do the Japan Blues. I have owned the JB0401 for several years. While the construction is solid, I don't find the colors or details to be nearly as vibrant/interesting as my Momo's. I wished I would have saved my money. Cheers!

The Full Count denim does look amazing, the wear I've seen on most pairs looks really vintage style too, which is something I am interested in. The Denime 66 also looks great for vintage wear.

The thing which puts me off slightly with the Sammies is I have heard some complaints about quality recently, plus they bleed out pretty quickly, so they might be out.

I don't know much about Japan Blue, but they are much cheaper than a lot of brands, make and dye their own denim, and the worn examples look really nice too.