Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Picking up a thought from the FH thread:

all the fit pics I have seen look pretty good, except the one on the SE site. That model even makes the Dry Bones red-d look weird which is a really great jean.

Haha, none of those look as off as the fit pics of the 3Sixteen ST-120x.

I miss Sidney's fit pics on SE, IMO they gave a much better idea of what the jeans were supposed to look like.

^ true but the current model could be seen as an average Westerner and I think this is also SE main clientele. So it makes sense to show how these jeans fit "the average Westerner"

Too many Jeans look great on small japanese guys and bad when worn in sizes above 30.

I think the main problem with all these fitpics is, that the Jeans are displayed in a wrong manner: unsoaked, not broken in. That's also why I don't care about models being the same height and weight as me (like on the R&H page) wear 2 sizes down from my size to account for not having washed the Jeans and making them look as slim-modern as possible.

30s-50s cut often look better on small japanese guys, maybe because the leg opening is not as wide as on bigger sizes.

I'd much prefer to have shots of lucky customers and broken in Jeans in the webshops. Similar to the old nudie lookbooks (which were models as well, but at least as ugly as the rest of us).

Edited by Max Power

I think the main problem with all these fitpics is, that the Jeans are displayed in a wrong manner: unsoaked, not broken in. 

Having to cuff them five times to get a reasonable inseam doesn't help things either.

I'm sure most stores would prefer not to do it, but a washed and hemmed pair of jeans for their model to wear would be way more helpful than the mess some of them currently present. 

Having to cuff them five times to get a reasonable inseam doesn't help things either.

I'm sure most stores would prefer not to do it, but a washed and hemmed pair of jeans for their model to wear would be way more helpful than the mess some of them currently present.

If they washed and hemmed a full size run they could do a mail order rent a jean service where you can demo a jean for $20/day and then get some money back if you make a purchase.

Of course retail b&m customers could try on this jean too so it fits comfortably and there isn't an 8" cuff on your calf.

Not everyone could afford to do this but maybe someone with 4 locations like SE could, at least for the 10 most popular regularly stocked models.

Edited by givemefive

I understand why they need to have unwashed/unworn jeans for pictures of new models, but it would be nice to have updated pictures once broken-in models appear.

In general, I find Rivet And Hide's pictures to be the most helpful for figuring out how a pair of jeans will fit. Danny really deserves more credit for the massive amount of effort he puts into that stuff, as well as the incredibly detailed measurements (not just including front and back rise on every model, but also hip measurements! Who else does that?)

I find Danny genuinely cares about how people feel with their purchase once they've left the shop (or had them delivered ) and are getting used to wearing them, that's why they go to the length of including the detailed measurements. A lot of Danny and JR'S regular customers can walk in or call/email and they know exactly what measurements work for you. I'm pretty sure Danny/JR know exactly what waist, leg opening and inseam I'm after off by heart. Same with tops, after a couple of purchases I ask what size I need in any of their brands and they instantly point me to what I need in that brand.

Ok, this isn't about denim but a random question that I have from time to time (might just be my OCD). Does anybody here understand the System (if there is one) behind the points/quarters beneath our avatars? While it seems ovious that you get an additional point for every thousand posts you make, there are older members with a lot more points. To be honest, it bugs me that I can't figure this out.

I don't get it either - and I really don't get how reputation works, it seems like it starts to multiply after a certain point, which is why there are some people with hundreds of thousands or millions of rep points. Now granted, I never go anywhere in this forum except for Superdenim, it might be that they're posting dozens of posts per day in other forums and each one gets repped 50 times, but that seems completely ridiculous.

No, that’s because of the old rep-system. Back then the more rep-power you had, the more rep-power received the person you repped. So it added up quite quickly. Now you can only give 1 rep point when you rep a post (except you are a super user that can give 10 rep points). So people starting after the old rep-system will probably never receive the rep that some old members have.

Yes, I'm aware of that rep thing. There were times when you could turn somebody red just by giving him one neg and he tried to get back at you without effect. Ah, nostalgia.

But that is not linked to the strange Points, no? B_f, what did you do to get 16 of them? :ph34r:

Edited by Max Power

They are all in my closet, retired and rarely worn.  However, I've been wearing my Flathead 2015 (2 years) more frequently and I forgot how great they are.  Complete instant gratification with well worn in fades.  

I really only wear one pair at a time and have a secondary pair if I can't wear those (ie: they're in the wash.)  My primary pair just get taken off and thrown on the floor next to my bed every night and my secondary pair I have on a snap hanger so they're standing up and down (not folded.)  Everything else, including retired pairs, just get folded and put on the top shelf of my closet.

They are all in my closet, retired and rarely worn.  However, I've been wearing my Flathead 2015 (2 years) more frequently and I forgot how great they are.  Complete instant gratification with well worn in fades.

I second about the gratification.. I have really only one pair of Grail status jeans but can't seem to let them down. still wear them about once a week. I just enjoy too much a fully faded and "complete" pair of jeans to withstand the idea of retiring them. my Grail pair has loads of repairs and I try to keep them as nice and clean as possible. with all the money spent on the repairs I could have easily bought another good pair, but O just enjoy too much to keep them on the road as per now.

by the way what happened to the neg rep button? disappeared?

I also get Aho's avatar on every page instead of the vote system for the quality of the thread, strange...

Edited by volvo240thebest