Jump to content
minya

SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

Recommended Posts

You reminded me... I bought a pair of selvedge denim from Top Man, must have been late 90s early 00s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking for black, unsanforized, raw jeans in a pretty classic 40’s cut with a full leg and mid to high rise. I don’t buy from SelfEdge and I while the lot 64 MF cut is nice for me the measurements seem slightly different for this fabric (thighs slightly narrower) and I don’t love the frog pockets. Any alternatives? I might go for the MF and size up but really don’t love a loose waist. TCB’s seem out of stock also, in addition to them being one wash only. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

17 minutes ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

 I don’t buy from SelfEdge

Why not?
You’re pretty much describing the black SC1947’s that are exclusive to them to a T. Unfortunately there just aren’t many options out there in this category. I searched for a long time for this exact pair and ended up with the black SC 47’s and I couldn’t be more happy with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Broark said:

 

Why not?
You’re pretty much describing the black SC1947’s that are exclusive to them to a T. Unfortunately there just aren’t many options out there in this category. I searched for a long time for this exact pair and ended up with the black SC 47’s and I couldn’t be more happy with them.

Hey we’ve all got our quirks eh. I’m aware of those and they look nice but still aren’t quite raw, dealer aside. If the answer doesn’t exist that’s okay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you’re not fussy about ‘40s detailing, the Dawson black regular could be a good option

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm feeling a bit deja-vu about this so sorry if it's already been mentioned. What about the black Mister Freedom Lot 44 model? They are dyed all the way through so maybe not technically 'black denim'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@beautiful_FrEaKthanks for pointing this out. I’m not sure of my TCB sizing (never owned a pair) but I’m usually a 29 if the thigh is generous enough and the smallest they have is 31 but I will dive into the measurements in case. I just really don’t like oversized waists if I can avoid it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

@beautiful_FrEaKthanks for pointing this out. I’m not sure of my TCB sizing (never owned a pair) but I’m usually a 29 if the thigh is generous enough and the smallest they have is 31 but I will dive into the measurements in case. I just really don’t like oversized waists if I can avoid it. 

Bears has pretty good stock of the black S40s: https://bears-tokyo.myshopify.com/products/tcb-jeans-s40s-jeans-black-black-40s-black-denim-straight?variant=39732026376251. I have a pair on the way myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, discwork said:

Bears has pretty good stock of the black S40s: https://bears-tokyo.myshopify.com/products/tcb-jeans-s40s-jeans-black-black-40s-black-denim-straight?variant=39732026376251. I have a pair on the way myself.

Thanks for the heads up! This looks like the best solution I’ve seen, if the fit works and I can find it - having never sized for TCB is it really that much different? Size charts at Bears are saying I’d be going up 2-3 sizes from my normal and that’s before shrinkage, which seems significant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

Thanks for the heads up! This looks like the best solution I’ve seen, if the fit works and I can find it - having never sized for TCB is it really that much different? Size charts at Bears are saying I’d be going up 2-3 sizes from my normal and that’s before shrinkage, which seems significant. 

Sizing on the S40's is tricky because they have a very high rise and fit slim through the hips. I have a 31" waist and wear a 31 in the indigo S40's. The fit works for my build so the waist is just right, if not a little snug after a wash. I wear them without a belt.

For the black S40's, I went by TCB's (one washed) measurements and recommendation and sized up to a 32. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are other factors that make much more of a difference—but yes, it often seems to be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

There are other factors that make much more of a difference—but yes, it often seems to be

Out of interest, what other factors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tightness and style of spinning, yarn weight and plying, maybe fiber length, probably weave tension…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be interested in comments from anyone who has had the chance to compare the quality of Real McCoys v Buzz Rickson M65s?  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of mine is looking to repair a missing donut button on a RRL denim Jacket.

Anyone have any idea where to find one - its branded and brass  

He tried RRL and no luck.

Thanks

06462DBF-54C8-40D7-B6C2-FCEFD7EDA311.jpeg

Edited by UkeNo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone point me in the direction of a type 3 jacket that is more boxy and accurate to the 60s dimensions? I have a 60s levis type 3 in black corduroy that fits me great, and every other 'repro' type 3 I've tried is overly slim, long hem, etc (including LVC type 3s). Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2021 at 2:37 PM, JMS said:

Can anyone point me in the direction of a type 3 jacket that is more boxy and accurate to the 60s dimensions? I have a 60s levis type 3 in black corduroy that fits me great, and every other 'repro' type 3 I've tried is overly slim, long hem, etc (including LVC type 3s). Thanks! 

Have you looked into sizing up on a Japanese repro piece from a brand like Warehouse? I know the sizing could be weird sometimes, but I've had luck in doing that with an OrSlow type 2 - sized up one and the sleeves are maybe an inch too long but its perfect everywhere else.

 

Just a thought!

Edited by busterthehuman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a pair of Phigvel cotton pants and I’m confused about drying them.

It says no tumble dry so I understand that yet can I still use the dryer to dry these pants?  I’ve included a picture.  I plan on hand washing these according to the label.

 

Help lol

 

BF27050B-77AF-4D38-888F-D3AA95BA976F.jpeg

E87CECC5-F10C-4C75-921A-69D879CDB82A.jpeg

2F62EB5A-DD8A-4D3C-84A2-FD118B8F99FA.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless I’m misreading something (and that won’t be the first time) surely all the labels tell you is that the trousers will shrink in a normal wash - I don’t see where it says tumble dry them to shrink them, and why do you need to use a tumble dryer to dry them? TBH though I suspect that using a very low setting in a tumble dryer isn’t likely to do much harm

Edited by Duke Mantee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not hand wash them and give them a spin before leaving them to line dry?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was in a Standard & Strange email I got this morning. Horsebutt boots I get. But I have to ask: how many dachshund does it take for a single pair of boots?

Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 7.49.23 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JDelage said:

That was in a Standard & Strange email I got this morning. Horsebutt boots I get. But I have to ask: how many dachshund does it take for a single pair of boots?

If you’ve a long slim foot then …

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m looking to buy merino wool base layers (top & bottom) and curious which brands you guys like. Smartwool appears to be highly rated but I’m open to other suggestions. I came across another brand called Merino 365 that sells merino wool made in New Zealand but not sure of the quality. I’d like something either lightweight or midweight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not really a fan of Smartwool; whatever wool–poly blend they use seems to pill way faster than the alternatives. Have had better luck with Icebreaker & Woolpower

If you really want to treat yourself, my very favorite undershirt is a loopwheeled 100% merino deal from Merz, from a few seasons ago—not sure whether they still make anything similar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ColonelAngus said:

I’m looking to buy merino wool base layers (top & bottom) and curious which brands you guys like. Smartwool appears to be highly rated but I’m open to other suggestions. I came across another brand called Merino 365 that sells merino wool made in New Zealand but not sure of the quality. I’d like something either lightweight or midweight. 

Icebreaker and Patagonia. Smartwool doesn't last as long for me either, but if you get a good deal on it then it's not bad imo. I was putting them through heavy use for awhile (trail running often, so they'd get washed like 1-2x a week for months), I would guess that for a lot of people they'd last a good awhile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do Red Wing moc toes fit?  I wear a 7 in boots so should I go one size up or wear a 7?  Can’t find size 7 on Rakuten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now