SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

57 minutes ago, bloom said:

Anyone know where to find a decent indigo scarf? There were some beautiful ones made with African indigo a few years back, I seem to recall, and, I think, very nice ones from  some American outfit that I would never buy jeans from. But can’t seem to find any now. Vintage would certainly be of interest, too. 

My wife got me one from Blue Blue Japan a few years back, and it's really nice. It's a little more delicate and the fabric is pretty light with a nice pattern. I really like some of what BBJ does but they do venture into fabrics some here might not like. 

Excellent suggestions from both, thanks!
Never heard of Hillside before. Of course Tender makes some good ones, I should have known.

I like the idea of making my own, just make a little folded hem and try not to stitch myself up in the process. Wonder how long it would take to soften. 

2 hours ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

My wife got me one from Blue Blue Japan a few years back, and it's really nice. It's a little more delicate and the fabric is pretty light with a nice pattern. I really like some of what BBJ does but they do venture into fabrics some here might not like. 

This sounds very good, thanks! While I have seen and tried some things from BBJ that I didn’t like all that much (mainly because for years I kept confusing them with Pure Blue Japan and one other producer, and thus got a bit disappointed), they’ve also made some really lovely things. Soft, gauzy shirt-jackets, one old flannel etc. In both cases the hand of the fabric was what appealed to me, which is pretty crucial in the case of a scarf.

Finding one can be tricky though…

Need wallet brand suggestions. I’m looking for a simple card wallet, preferably shell cordovan. Brands can be big or small, not really particular about how well known a company is. I know of Ashland, Mitchell leather, TFH, etc. I’ve browsed Etsy as well but figured some of you might know of companies that make nice wallets 

14 hours ago, ColonelAngus said:

Need wallet brand suggestions. I’m looking for a simple card wallet, preferably shell cordovan. Brands can be big or small, not really particular about how well known a company is. I know of Ashland, Mitchell leather, TFH, etc. I’ve browsed Etsy as well but figured some of you might know of companies that make nice wallets 

If the reason you need a wallet is that you’ve got too much money, Frank Clegg makes some very nice looking ones. Don’t know how they age, as that problem does not apply to me, but have a duffel from them that looks better with every year. Actually, I think they make some that don’t cost the earth too. Don’t know about cordovan, though, I only use that to keep pennies in.

also the Swedish Tarnsjo tannery makes some simple ones I like. Haven’t seen those age, but their belts age beautifully.

1 hour ago, bloom said:

If the reason you need a wallet is that you’ve got too much money, Frank Clegg makes some very nice looking ones. Don’t know how they age, as that problem does not apply to me, but have a duffel from them that looks better with every year. Actually, I think they make some that don’t cost the earth too. Don’t know about cordovan, though, I only use that to keep pennies in.

also the Swedish Tarnsjo tannery makes some simple ones I like. Haven’t seen those age, but their belts age beautifully.

It’s for more practical reasons. I have a Mitchell leather money clip wallet made from Horween chrome xl. Problem with this leather is it stretches a lot, so much so that I lost my driver’s license because it slipped out of the slot when I was at the gas station. It had vertical card slots which was the problem. I now want a simple bifold wallet where my cards are unable to fall out. I also just like shell cordovan 

22 hours ago, ColonelAngus said:

Look no further :tongue:

Cordovan, or pretty much any other type of leather

(You are quite right about CXL though)

Edited by Duke Mantee

1 hour ago, tewsday said:

Does anyone know a good proxy service or could assist me in a Japan proxy? Looking to purchase an item from Rakuten.co.jp. Thanks in advance! 

I’ve used ZenMarket and Remambo with ease and success multiple times. 

What are my options for indigo dyed sweatshirts/hoodies? Looks like 3sixteen has some, any other options? I like the vintage cuts with the shorter length measurements. Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Broark said:

Strike Gold is still offering indigo dyed sweats as well, and unless the fit has changed over the years they're fairly short.

I dig the look of this one a lot. Looks like Klaxon has them available at a price I like too (shipping ain't bad either) -- does anyone here have any experience ordering from them to the U.S.? 

4 minutes ago, rbeck said:

does anyone here have any experience ordering from them to the U.S.? 

It's been years since I've ordered from them (before when they only had a Rakuten shop) and it was painless.
It looks like they're now integrated with World Shopping, which I've seen on several other shops as a proxy but I've never used that particular service.

20 hours ago, smoothsailor said:

@bloom I do. The measurements on their website are spot on.

the varsity cardigans are nice, a straight fit. Goes straight down from the armpits.

I like it better when it tapers down a bit.

but for the shawl collar it works great. They are heavy duty, very good quality 

This is great advice, thank you! I think I’ll have to get one. It’s a cold world out there. 

I'm looking for a shoulder sacoche / pouch to take with me when I go to the park with the dog. It needs to have a wide opening, a medium volume (say, equivalent to 2 Nalgene water bottles / 2L / 64oz), and be washable. I prefer a square profile, or a slightly tall profile, to a horizontal one. Any suggestion is welcome. Thank you!

Would hot soaking and then tumble drying shrink (heavily) a pair of one wash jeans? I´ve come to realize that my pair of newly bought Warehouse lot800xx are bit too loose, not overly but so that I´m picking other jeans instead. Also, would there be any major indigo loss?

Thanks!

Edited by Raglan

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic