Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

denim and clothing related ...... nothing really , maybe the TCB cinch back jeans .i think ive really moved away from the slimmer cuts , the slimmest im comfortable in now would be my 1108's 

my closet is pretty much full ( as far as denim is concerned ) and ive got a few pairs im really looking forward to wearing , my warehouse 1001sxx and freewheeler 601xx in particular 

really looking forward to the birth of my son :) 

20151223_173123_zpswraorz3c.jpg

and a possible meet up with BF and Max ;) 

Nice topic idea Flo!

Since 2015 was a rather quiet denim year (going by my standards) I hope I might pick up some more jeans in 2016. At least my interest raised a bit again.

I am looking forward to receive the Samurai 710DNM from Florian to see if i like them and if they fit properly and besides that I am looking at the WarehousexEvisuxYamane 0110 for a more modern fit in the Warehosue denim and of course looking forward to see what aho makes out of the OOE-idea!

And then doing what I did this year: wearing more of the old stuff I have hanging around and sell pairs I don't really need&want.

Besides denim I plan to travel a bit more in 2016. First holidays are already booked.

And Flo..we already met several times :P It would only be new to us to meet Ryan finally :D

Hey bf what's the sweatshirt?

It's an old Buzz Rickson sweater before they changed the pattern

edit: Congratz again Ryan! ;)

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

Hey all, merry Christmas. My denim-related plans for the new year are to really get a lot more wear out of the clothing I already own. I've really no need to pick up much new and I want my Canes and my Full Count to get totally worn in. However (haha), I can see myself copping a pair of Warehouse in the autumn.

I've already had the pleasure of meeting a few dudes from Sufu and DB in person. If anyone's coming through HK, I'm always up for a meet-up over a beer!

Outside of that, travel is always on the cards, plus learning a bit of German, and working hard on improving a grade in my bouldering.

Really appreciate your words Max!

Clothing-related—the clothing repair service I started a few months ago is really getting off the ground... i've learned so much about how clothes are made, how different fabrics interact with each other, the specific uses of different stitches... last week, as well, I stumbled across a café in Seattle that is full of old Japanese textiles—old kimonos, ikat fabrics, asa work jackets held together by sashiko, block printed tapestries and carved wooden masks—a fateful encounter to say the least. Anyway, it's reinvigorated my interest in traditional sewing and dyeing techniques, so my resolution on that end is to learn and do more of each one.

Otherwise, I'd really like to—excuse the melodrama—figure out what I'm doing with my life. I've been working as a journalist for a few years now, and surely it isn't a bad thing to continue pursuing, but I wonder if, in a sort of existentialist manner, i am lying to myself and everyone with what I write...

This was something I didn't have much proof of until I read a book on social psychology that talks a lot about the schema, which is basically the narrative that people construct for themselves about a certain event or point in their life. The self-schema (which is what it sounds like) has a profound effect on memory and on the way that people recall events. For example, say I always think of myself as having had a poor relationship with my teachers in my primary school. As I think back on that part of my life, it will be much easier to recall the events that line up with my schema—getting detention, disagreeing with teachers, that sort of thing—than it is to recall the events that don't (of which there were surely many). The effects of the schema increase over time, so years after an event takes place, you might only remember the things that line up with your schema—or your brain might have created entirely new events out of thin air that you unconsciously accept as true.

This has been challenging to think about because investigative journalism, as I understand it, depends wholly on 'eyewitness testimony', which is not only subject to the problem mentioned above but to a whole host of other ones... distortion of traumatic experiences, distortion due to social power dynamics or out of a desire to protect other interests... even the time in which you ask someone something, or the phrasing you use, can drastically affect how they respond. This is also the case in law, which is something we hold under such close scrutiny that it must be considered true... in my eyes, there is no more guarantee of that than there is in journalism.

So to summarize, I'd like to figure out when I can begin to accept something as true, because right now I am convinced that nothing is. A great problem to have, i know...

Relating to Max's point about remembering those who are not as well off as we are... I have been thinking a lot about how our lifestyles impact how others are able to live, specifically considering the divide between the global north and south. When working for social justice, you'd surely have the greatest impact if you are living in a powerful country: you have access to a much broader audience, to much more money for your cause, to the help of other powerful people or organizations that you wouldn't necessarily have were you living somewhere else. But by living in this society, you must also live like the people do—sure, you can buy Japanese clothing and local vegetables and ensure that you are interacting with positive supply chains, but you are still driving a car, or using too much water... still, just by existing here, you ensure that people in other parts of the world will not be able to afford the luxuries you do. So if you're working from the inside to right the wrongs of your own society, can you ever actually make a net positive impact on the world? Or does your very existence as a member of an oppressive group ensure that you won't ever be able to morally break even?

Sorry for saddling you all with all of these thoughts! I've been meaning to write about this for weeks and have only just now gotten it off my back. so thank you for putting up with it, and happy new year!!

My main clothing-related goal is to fully wear in my 3Sixteens and not buy any new jeans until they have at least twelve months of real wear time in them. I've never worn a pair this long before because my main inclination is always to move on to something new and exciting (even though I usually end up regretting it.) Really, I want to get to the point where I'm only wearing one main pair of jeans at a time.

It's weird, I've worn stuff by lots of fancier Japanese brands with crazy fabrics and details, but these ST-120x are just about my favorite jeans I've worn, they're easily the best slim tapered fit I've put on, as well as being really versatile and made from great denim. Yeah, they don't have super-slubby denim or crazy details, but none of that stuff really matters much compared to having a good fit that I'm happy with.

The main thing I'm wondering about is if after this I want to get another pair of 3Sixteen in a different fabric, or try something different (a new pair of Samurai S0500xx or S710xx from Denimio is tempting since they're so frickin' cheap now - or maybe some Iron Heart 666s.)

nice words max, and nice topic too

denim related:

- take delivery of a properly fitting TCB denim shirt

- TCB30's chinch back whenever they'll come out

- possibly a OOE pair pending further details from Aho

other

- retiring my TCB60's (they're almost white) and put some serious wear on the Porkys and whatever will come next

- restore my 1993 Volvo which have been butchered by my wife in the last 4 years. now the wife has a brand new car and I really look forward to give justice to my white 240

2015 has been a difficult year for me, because all my flutes were stolen and I had to re buy everything. I worked super hard this year and spent too little time at home. my main plan for 2016 is to work less, get only the better paid jobs and enjoy the rest of the time with my family, my Volvo's and my jeans haha!!

Really appreciate your words Max!

Clothing-related—the clothing repair service I started a few months ago is really getting off the ground... i've learned so much about how clothes are made, how different fabrics interact with each other, the specific uses of different stitches... last week, as well, I stumbled across a café in Seattle that is full of old Japanese textiles—old kimonos, ikat fabrics, asa work jackets held together by sashiko, block printed tapestries and carved wooden masks—a fateful encounter to say the least. Anyway, it's reinvigorated my interest in traditional sewing and dyeing techniques, so my resolution on that end is to learn and do more of each one.

Otherwise, I'd really like to—excuse the melodrama—figure out what I'm doing with my life. I've been working as a journalist for a few years now, and surely it isn't a bad thing to continue pursuing, but I wonder if, in a sort of existentialist manner, i am lying to myself and everyone with what I write...

This was something I didn't have much proof of until I read a book on social psychology that talks a lot about the schema, which is basically the narrative that people construct for themselves about a certain event or point in their life. The self-schema (which is what it sounds like) has a profound effect on memory and on the way that people recall events. For example, say I always think of myself as having had a poor relationship with my teachers in my primary school. As I think back on that part of my life, it will be much easier to recall the events that line up with my schema—getting detention, disagreeing with teachers, that sort of thing—than it is to recall the events that don't (of which there were surely many). The effects of the schema increase over time, so years after an event takes place, you might only remember the things that line up with your schema—or your brain might have created entirely new events out of thin air that you unconsciously accept as true.

This has been challenging to think about because investigative journalism, as I understand it, depends wholly on 'eyewitness testimony', which is not only subject to the problem mentioned above but to a whole host of other ones... distortion of traumatic experiences, distortion due to social power dynamics or out of a desire to protect other interests... even the time in which you ask someone something, or the phrasing you use, can drastically affect how they respond. This is also the case in law, which is something we hold under such close scrutiny that it must be considered true... in my eyes, there is no more guarantee of that than there is in journalism.

So to summarize, I'd like to figure out when I can begin to accept something as true, because right now I am convinced that nothing is. A great problem to have, i know...

Relating to Max's point about remembering those who are not as well off as we are... I have been thinking a lot about how our lifestyles impact how others are able to live, specifically considering the divide between the global north and south. When working for social justice, you'd surely have the greatest impact if you are living in a powerful country: you have access to a much broader audience, to much more money for your cause, to the help of other powerful people or organizations that you wouldn't necessarily have were you living somewhere else. But by living in this society, you must also live like the people do—sure, you can buy Japanese clothing and local vegetables and ensure that you are interacting with positive supply chains, but you are still driving a car, or using too much water... still, just by existing here, you ensure that people in other parts of the world will not be able to afford the luxuries you do. So if you're working from the inside to right the wrongs of your own society, can you ever actually make a net positive impact on the world? Or does your very existence as a member of an oppressive group ensure that you won't ever be able to morally break even?

Sorry for saddling you all with all of these thoughts! I've been meaning to write about this for weeks and have only just now gotten it off my back. so thank you for putting up with it, and happy new year!!

Great thoughts chicote.  I appreciate your candor and willingness to share ideas.  In that spirit, the point about self-schema and the narrative that we construct for ourselves is quite powerful and rings true for me, especially now that I'm older (60) and have had time to let this schema really ossify ;-)

I also agree with your points about journalism, the challenge of knowing what is true, and how our socio-economic environment shapes values and perceptions.  The mere fact that you are asking these questions is a sign of hope.

The common theme in all of this (to me at least) is to be true to your best self.  We are all powerfully shaped by personal history and broader society.  Part of growing up is to understand these influences, assimilate what's valuable, discard what isn't, and figure out what's most important for each of us.  This is more challenging than one might imagine given pressures to conform and the over-stimulation of daily life.  The people that I respect most are not those who agree with me but who have thought things through for themselves and exhibit a degree of independence, critical thinking, and humility.

I am interested in denim and this forum not because I'm a clothes hound or fade guru but because I'm drawn to people who have a respect for craft and authenticity.  I grew up in an era (1970s) where everything was mass-produced and quality was in decline.  Size and scale were valued over attention to detail.  Much of what we see today with denim (not to mention coffee, food, craft beer, etc.) is in response to the declining production values of recent decades.

While it's great to see values shift from quantity to quality, it's also true that every era has its "me too" element.  So now everything is "artisanal, craft-oriented, organic, sustainable, and eco-sensitive."  These are just marketing words for many, whose focus is to sell product or appeal to a certain group or sensibility.  For others, the words have more meaning.  Regardless, each of us needs to think through what's most important and be true to that, rather than blindly accepting the priorities of the day or conforming to a broader culture or subculture.  To the extent that we're able to be true to these deeper and more enduring values, we are more likely to connect with others in universal ways and find personal fulfillment along the way.

Speaking of fulfillment in 2016 ;-)  I look forward to wearing the jeans I already own, but admit to being tempted by whatever aho may be working on with Ryo and Hiro of Ooe Yofukuten.  In addition, a comfortable, good fitting jeans jacket would be great.  While I like my 20 oz. Iron Heart Type III (SEIH22), it's a coat of armor and sometimes I just need a coat.  Aho (Andrew) likes Fullcount's 2107 but these are tough to find in size 44, let alone 42.

Happy New Year to all and thanks for bearing with me on this (overly) long message!

John

-Lose weight (fit into stuff I have instead of giving up and starting wardrobe over in a new size)

-Drink less beer

-Sell more of my jeans

-Return to posting at SuFu without returning to maxing out Credit Cards on new denim.

-Become the father of a healthy boy or girl in March.

Edited by ColdStorage

Personal: finally Clean and jerk 115kg,  I keep missing that effing weight. Start on my back piece, and finish my under-grad.

Clothing wise, destroy these Paul Rose and get started on my 3012's maybe buy a pair of WH 900s or 800 if I can find a  29 raw.

Edited by Rightyow77

re: journalism

In all honesty, there are plenty of days that go by on which I regret majoring in journalism (I know, I know, "no regrets"). At least when I was working as a public safety reporter for newspapers, the threat of burnout was strong, as was the heavy hand of editors who wanted us to conjure the dramatic out of the mundane. Then there's all the virtue-signalling from a bunch of people who are, in all honesty, self-admittedly rotten in their own ways. Pile on agendas and workplace drama on top of that, and it's a wonder how anyone gets anything done without going crazy. One of my 2016 goals is to continue to distance myself from that side of the profession.  :P

Also, getting my Chippewas resoled next month to kick off an interest in engineer boots, and maybe getting a couple border shirts (Buco, Iron Heart) to go with them. Maybe Warehouse 1001xx at some point, but no rush.

My big thing is just saving money though. I have a lot of clothes now really. I might go back to Japan this year, but I'm more likely to visit Korea in the summer. Also, lose about 5-10 lbs, relationship status permitting.

Edited by Iron Horse

Nice discussion topic, I like getting to know some of you guys more than just your favorite denim brands!

Personally clothing/denim-wise I'm really looking forward to whatever aho and Ryo/Hiro have cooking at Ooe Yofukuten. I love my OA02XX's (long overdue for some repairs before they get too torn up in the crotch) but I would love another pair from them! And of course I'd love some more stuff from Roy and Stevenson.
Also in 2016 I really want to decide on new pair of everyday boots. In my head I bounce around from brand to brand, mainly Wesco/Nicks/Whites lately but I always manage to talk myself out of it one way or another. Hopefully I can stop being indecisive and pick, I'm sure I'd be happy with any of them. I'd also like to get more into silver and get some more shirts.

I know I don't need anymore jeans! I would like to try and trim my collection down a little in 2016.

On a more personal note I want to make a point to travel more in 2016. Growing up I had the amazing opportunity to travel and see other parts of the world (lived in Singapore for sometime and saw a lot of Asia in particular), but since moving to Austin about five years ago I haven't really done a whole lot of traveling. I've already got a trip this weekend to drive down to New Orleans, a city I've been to once but only very briefly. I've only heard great things from people who have lived and spent more time there, so hopefully I'll see more of it this time around. I also plan on visiting Chicago this spring or summer and hopefully another trip out to SESF or maybe even SEMX.

Growing up I also only really stayed put in one place for maybe five years at a time, so I'm getting the New-City itch a little. Austin is getting kind of old to me and I feel like my possible opportunities are limited here. Plus there's always the task of figuring out where to land. In college I focused on studying East Asian cultures and international business / international relations and Mandarin so I feel like if I had the opportunity to somehow go back East I would in a heartbeat. It's just a difficult (almost impossible seeming at times) task to wrap my head around. But maybe 2016 will be the year I figure it out!

And of course I'd like to meet some more of y'all! I haven't met too many of you guys but I've had the chance to meet Kiya, Mpukas and Urbanwoodsman from IHF in the past year or two. It's cool meeting people who actually have a similar interest in our little niche community. If anyone is ever in Texas let me know and we'll grab a beer and some good barbecue or tacos.

No clothes related stuff for me, But I ended up booking a trip to Japan in April. It'll be my third time but my friends first. I can speak a bit of Japanese and can navigate around easily so I am pretty much required to take all my friends at some point, which is fine by me! Flights were super cheap and going to try airbnb to hang out with some locals. Nothing really planned as of yet except for going to a few denim shops. Should be fun!

I am also in the process of applying to graduate school for Biology (specifically marine sciences). I've been out of school for a bit working, but finally realize it's time to go back. It's been a massive pain in the ass, and applications are due soon but I have most of it done. Just every school requires something different and it's hard to keep track of everything. But I am close to being done!

Also, to kind of switch gear, has anyone ever had their jeans lengthened? My Samurai's are just a bit too short and while I thought I could live with it, it's starting to bother me :unsure: . I currently have them cuffed about 0.75" and if I undid the cuff, cut the chainstitch and then sewed on like another inch they'd be perfect (I need a cuff, I just can't wear them without one). I was thinking of just taking them to a tailor having them sew on the inch, and then cuffing right at where they sewed on the new part. Any advice? Sadly, Railcar said they couldn't/wouldn't do it. 

No clothes related stuff for me, But I ended up booking a trip to Japan in April. It'll be my third time but my friends first. I can speak a bit of Japanese and can navigate around easily so I am pretty much required to take all my friends at some point, which is fine by me! Flights were super cheap and going to try airbnb to hang out with some locals. Nothing really planned as of yet except for going to a few denim shops. Should be fun!

I am also in the process of applying to graduate school for Biology (specifically marine sciences). I've been out of school for a bit working, but finally realize it's time to go back. It's been a massive pain in the ass, and applications are due soon but I have most of it done. Just every school requires something different and it's hard to keep track of everything. But I am close to being done!

Also, to kind of switch gear, has anyone ever had their jeans lengthened? My Samurai's are just a bit too short and while I thought I could live with it, it's starting to bother me :unsure: . I currently have them cuffed about 0.75" and if I undid the cuff, cut the chainstitch and then sewed on like another inch they'd be perfect (I need a cuff, I just can't wear them without one). I was thinking of just taking them to a tailor having them sew on the inch, and then cuffing right at where they sewed on the new part. Any advice? Sadly, Railcar said they couldn't/wouldn't do it. 

Want to learn japanese really bad I know four languages but Japanese is so hard!

I'm going to put some wear into my Porky's this year, going to try and size a pair of Fullcount correctly and possibly get some Boncourra 66's.

Probably a shit load of trainers too.

I've just picked up skateboarding again after 20+ years out so want to get better at that before my body gives in.

As far as clothing goes, really excited to see what aho is cooking up with Ryo/Hiro. Beat up my Eternals more. Would love to get some real nice everyday boots that are outside of the RW that i currently have (maybe Whites).

Outside of clothing, my girlfriend and I are moving to LA at the end of May which is really exciting yet also nerve racking and scary seeing how I've lived in Minneapolis over half my life.  Start shooting some new photo projects I have in mind (maybe put out a book) and also work to get a show either here in Minneapolis or in LA after I move.  I'm very excited for what 2016 has to offer, 2015 has been great to me so hopefully it only gets better and better.

2015 has been a good year so I'm looking forward to 2016 with much anticipation! I'm expecting many changes (new job/more money) but all that aside, I'll continue to travel, eat, and wear denim all along!

On that note, I'm looking forward to whatever I have cooked up with Ooe if everything pans out! Hopefully it won't disappoint as I'm not really looking to rock the boat detail wise due to practicality and timing, but it'll be good to continue wearing Ooe in a new cut (been in 01's for a year). Until then I'll continue wearing my OA01XX's in the meantime until they reach Paul T status, but also have a back up plan of FC 1101's or Resolute 710's in a proper size if things don't pull through. Other than that, I'll need to pick up a few shirts and jackets as mine no longer fit (been wearing my FC type 1 daily in the meantime, afraid to wash it), but only have one other major purchase in line, with a custom navajo bracelet made by one of my favorite artists which I'll pay off in full in February. 

Outside of all these purchases, I've come to realize that I need to tone things down and start saving more. Although I feel old (a lithe 29), I still have much growing up to do and need to focus on personal finances. I'll still be making smaller purchases here or there out of necessity, but 2016 for me will have much more focus on wearing what I already have and trying not to be wasteful. I guess we can all tone things down a bit; I've gotten into a routine of dropping $2-300 in a heart beat almost monthly without thinking twice because of how used to buying jeans I was, and that's a dangerous mentality to have. So I'm looking to curb that for my own sake!

All that said, I hope everyone has an amazing 2016, and Happy New Year!

Edited by aho

2015 was the year I finally gave up on typical slim cuts, as I just grew tired of fighting my thighs into them and needing to think before stepping up high curbs. Sold the last of those jeans this week and won't be going back (except for the Ande Whall SR11 Mustangs... Those I couldn't bear to part with).

For 2016, I'm looking forward to spending much of the year beating my OA02XXs into a super-light, truly faded pair. Would like to do that with my 18oz Momotaros, too, but they're being stubborn as a mule so far. Really just a year of wear and tear, enjoying the amazing denim already sitting on my shelf.

On a more personal note, I'd like to learn how to ski backcountry this year, so I'm trying to take a weekend-long avalanche and general winter safety course, then start doing some skills training on skinning, etc. After spending much of 2015 absorbed in my job, it would be great to pick up some older hobbies again, like frisbee league or some of the programming I used to do on the side. It would also be amazing to move to an apartment where I could fit a couch in the living room (ah, the modesty of NYC housing goals)...

^ While not b_F, nor do I have the OA02's but I do have the 1101's and the S0500's. With my pairs, the S0500's are a wider cut, with less rise (both front and back). The thigh is roughly the same (1101s are a 35 and s0500s are a 36), they both stretch a decent amount, and the 1101's are slimmer from the knee down. As for feel, the 1101's are much softer, a little hairier (although the 0500's were pretty hairy too), a bit flatter texture wise, and darker. Personally, I prefer the look and feel of the S0500's (although I did have to taper mine). 

Thanks! Sounds like I would want a bit more rise and taper than the S0500s tend to have, which seems like a good excuse to put off yet more denim purchases. Pity though, Samurai always does have amazing fabric and nice details. Would love to find a cut that works well for me.

As 2015 comes to a close, it has been a great year.  I wish you all success, happiness and most important health.  To kind of touch on Max’s thoughts, we live blessed lives and may not face as much adversity in life compared to others.  In hindsight, a lot of difficulties we face in life are trivial and it’s always important to live life to the fullest extent and love your family and friends. 

Some quick thoughts

Denim

-          I pretty much have everything I want and need.  I will continue to wear my PBJxPronto collab, which have been evolving quite nicely and throw in the Samurai 710 BKB when I feel I need to change it up.  My Samurai denim jacket is also fading really nicely and need to take some pictures, but have gotten lazy about it.  I think I’m not as “into†raw denim as I used to a couple of year ago.  Once you start to see what brands are releasing with their jeans and you know your fit and theirs, that takes a lot of the allure out.  I guess it’s not as exciting as it was once was.  I haven’t been visiting rawr denim/superfuture as much as I used to or don’t really care if I see other people wearing raw denim in public. 

2016 and beyond

-          Continue to work on opening a restaurant in Nashville.  Need to work a pop-up event, finish my business model, scout for locations, join the Small Business Association/Entrepreneur center, and host tasting events.  So much to do. 

-          I picked up swing dancing this year and continue to take classes and learn as much as I can.  It’s been really a life saver because it’s a fun, active hobby that takes up time on the weekends, so I don’t have to go to bars anymore. 

-          Met a friend that is a tailor.  I would like to learn how to repair holes and to hem.

-          Met a friend that is a blacksmith.  I would like to make a kitchen or pocket knife

-          My inner-kid self is considering buying a pinball machine.  I don’t know I think they have a lot of maintenance to upkeep. 

-          Join a talent agency and try to work some acting jobs.  It’s always been on my bucket list and looks/sounds like a lot of fun.  

-          Compete in 2016 Tennessee State Judo Championship and International Judo Federation Masters World Tournament

2016 and beyond

-          Continue to work on opening a restaurant in Nashville.  Need to work a pop-up event, finish my business model, scout for locations, join the Small Business Association/Entrepreneur center, and host tasting events.  So much to do. 

-          I picked up swing dancing this year and continue to take classes and learn as much as I can.  It’s been really a life saver because it’s a fun, active hobby that takes up time on the weekends, so I don’t have to go to bars anymore. 

-          Met a friend that is a tailor.  I would like to learn how to repair holes and to hem.

-          Met a friend that is a blacksmith.  I would like to make a kitchen or pocket knife

-          My inner-kid self is considering buying a pinball machine.  I don’t know I think they have a lot of maintenance to upkeep. 

-          Join a talent agency and try to work some acting jobs.  It’s always been on my bucket list and looks/sounds like a lot of fun.  

-          Compete in 2016 Tennessee State Judo Championship and International Judo Federation Masters World Tournament

Jeez you sound like a way more interesting person than I am.  Good luck with the plans it sounds fun.

Oh, and b_F: Those S0500 look good, and seem like the best Samurai cut for my preferences. Just wanted to ask how they feel and look compared to your OA02 and Full Count 1101 pairs?

^ While not b_F, nor do I have the OA02's but I do have the 1101's and the S0500's. With my pairs, the S0500's are a wider cut, with less rise (both front and back). The thigh is roughly the same (1101s are a 35 and s0500s are a 36), they both stretch a decent amount, and the 1101's are slimmer from the knee down. As for feel, the 1101's are much softer, a little hairier (although the 0500's were pretty hairy too), a bit flatter texture wise, and darker. Personally, I prefer the look and feel of the S0500's (although I did have to taper mine).

Will answer in length next year :D

From memory:

FC1101 has a significant amount of taper, less so with AO02 and almost none with S0500.

Different taper, different top block/rise and different denim - difficult and very personal choice, I would say.

I've faired well w/ denim purchases last year__ w/ 2 items [sD Jacket Type1 & Oni 277 BXXE], plus the Post O'All Melton Engineer's & McCoy Twisted Chambray.

However, on the boot department, 3 pairs of Viberg + Tricker's Grassmere is quite reckless, by personal standard ... So, a self-imposed boots ban for 2016.

Thanks! Sounds like I would want a bit more rise and taper than the S0500s tend to have, which seems like a good excuse to put off yet more denim purchases. Pity though, Samurai always does have amazing fabric and nice details. Would love to find a cut that works well for me.

Finally...

Like others have said. both the Ooe and FC have a significant higher rise. The 1101 also tapers quite strong. Both the Ooe 02 and the S0500 have a decent taper from which the Ooe have a tad stronger taper.

All the 3 cuts have enough room in the top block when sized right. the S0500XX has the craziest denim from those 3. More irregular, stiffer, slubbier. But like always it depends on what you prefer. The Ooe has the nost vintage-like denim and the FC denim is very comfortable and gets quizte soft but still has a rough feeling on the surface.

Sizing for all 3 is different. For reference I wear the following sizes in those 3 cuts.

S0500XX, size 34

FC 1101, size 33

Ooe OA02XX, size 36