SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

6 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

That’s what she said!

Right! The actress to the bishop...

I'm curious, from what everyone's seen, what brand has the sturdiest pockets? 

I'm thinkin of all the brands/pairs i've had over the years and i've always had issues with pocket blowouts. so i'm trying to think is this just something i have to deal with or are some better or tougher 

Came here to say Tender, not even close. 

My UES pair is linen and only lightly worn, but doesn't feel close to the Tender ones.

Out of more standard pairs, I find Freewheelers ones to be a significantly sturdier canvas than say, warehouse, fullcount or TCB. 

From what I've tried Warehouse, Pherrows & Ironheart are flimsy & prone to ripping. 
Sugar Cane holds up well enough, from my experience. 
Can't speak for Tender & UES, but the old SDA-models I have have some of the sturdiest pocket bag fabric there is. 
In general also very dependent on what you carry in your pockets and what not. Since I started carrying my phone in the back pocket or in a fanny pack I don't have problems regarding blowouts of front pockets anymore. 

Kind of intentionally vague as I'm quite open to all suggestions. Is anyone making something right now that resembles a mid 1930s 501 fit that is actually available and that doesn't cost the earth?

I have a pair of Burgus Plus 1928s from a few years ago that should be perfect but the whole crotch area is super snug and its outrageously uncomfortable. Basically just looking for something straighter than my 1003XXs with an equally high rise. No taper below the knee. Perhaps some extra space in the thigh.

https://tcbjeans.myshopify.com/collections/jeans/products/copy-of-pre-order-20s-jacket - this, strangely, is actually a link to TCB 30s jeans.

I’m not sure what constitutes the earth to you, but my Word of Mouth jeans on order for the contest are this, and he does made to order. It’s pricier but another option. 

not sure you could find Freewheelers 37s but they do different year models, so at some point they may do that again too. 

If you’re just looking for roomier jeans and don’t need 30s details then I would consider Tender and then also fullcount 0105 models. 

Edited by AlientoyWorkmachine

Had some great replies earlier here regarding loopwheeled sweatshirts - just waiting on my deluxeware pre-order to come in to do a full post on their updated (2020ish) fit. 

Now in the market for my first denim jacket. At 5ft 7 (171cm) with an athletic build, I’m mainly looking at either the TCB type 1’s (20s-40s) or the sugarcane 1953 type 2. Would love something shorter and boxier fitting. I also know FW is quite popular here but would only really pull the trigger from them if the jump in price is truly worth it given it’s my first denim jacket. Does anyone have any experience with the above that can help provide some comparison? Thanks! 

@AlientoyWorkmachine thanks for the tips. I did indeed just want extra space rather than 30s features. Ordered some 0105W Super Smooth's from Cultizm out of curiosity. I live in the high desert in SoCal so the lighter denim was appealing. Can't really complain at $202 USD versus the almost $400 after tax at US retailers.

Edited by jkbrwn

I know next to nothing about Wranglers but they look perfectly legit to me.. just look at the details, why would someone go to such lengths to fake a pair of $60 vintage Wranglers, it's not like there is a huge market for them.

What makes you think they could be fake?

• 2 weeks later...

With my jackets I do turn them inside out, but don't button up. I'm afraid that might cause odd creases/pulling. I could be completely mistaken about that but I don't want to find out the hard way.
I use the 'delicates' setting with no spin. 

On 9/29/2024 at 9:52 AM, willi said:

Does anyone have thoughts about glasses? Frame materials that last and age well? Brands or stores to buy from? I usually get around 2 years out of my glasses before they are trash, would like more. I don't know anything on this subject.

What are you doing to your glasses that they can't last longer than 2 years? I've got a pair from zenni that I've worn basically daily since like 2018 and they're as in tact as ever. 

I've worn a lot of vintage frames. They tend to deteriorate over the course of 2-3 years.
Hadn't thought much about it but I think the RayBan frames I have now have lasted quite a bit longer than that with no sings of deterioration.

Silhouette are the brand of my frames. 2 years and counting so far. One amazing thing about them is each part is replaceable, no need to replace the whole frame. Only issue is they are so light it's easy to forget they are there. Other than the price they are amazing.

@willi this is probably not helpful as I believe they're only UK based, but after years of buying and wearing out cheap crap frames I bought some glasses from Cubitts, they're hefty, stylish and feel like they will last a long time - I've had them coming up for a year now and no complaints at all - even with children constantly stealing them from my face and being not so delicate with them, and working out and running in them, drenching them thoroughly with sweat. They offer a free service after a year too which I'm looking forward to, just for a deep clean and to tighten up the temples now I've worn them in properly.

I have it on good faith that Moscot NYC are as good as this, and also Cutler and Gross, which are UK based but have an NYC store.

Sorry if none of that is useful.

All useful suggestions, thanks! The three weak points I usually find on glasses are either a) the frame material ages in a way that looks cheap/undesirable b) the hinges deform or c) the frame slowly weakens at a stress point until it breaks. Hinges can sometimes be fixed depending on construction but usually occurs along with one of the other two factors. I spent some money on these shades from Tender pictured below and they get a lot less use than an everyday frame but they feel solid, they have massive hinges that look like they're for holding up a door and I'm hopeful they will hold up for many years. I'm going to look for something similar for my next glasses.

PXL_20241024_134439914.thumb.jpg.b7727dda02833f2e7231253cb782258d.jpg

17 minutes ago, willi said:

All useful suggestions, thanks! The three weak points I usually find on glasses are either a) the frame material ages in a way that looks cheap/undesirable b) the hinges deform or c) the frame slowly weakens at a stress point until it breaks. Hinges can sometimes be fixed depending on construction but usually occurs along with one of the other two factors. I spent some money on these shades from Tender pictured below and they get a lot less use than an everyday frame but they feel solid, they have massive hinges that look like they're for holding up a door and I'm hopeful they will hold up for many years. I'm going to look for something similar for my next glasses.

PXL_20241024_134439914.thumb.jpg.b7727dda02833f2e7231253cb782258d.jpg

I'm quite happy with my Julius Tart Opticas. Also Harman Optical.
Tart Optical Arnel are also very nice.

1 hour ago, willi said:

I spent some money on these shades from Tender pictured below and they get a lot less use than an everyday frame but they feel solid, they have massive hinges that look like they're for holding up a door and I'm hopeful they will hold up for many years.

I’ve had my Tender shades (w/ prescription lenses in them) for around 4–5 years and they’re still good as new

Injection moulded plastic frames are probably best avoided if possible - you’ll be better served with acetate (or metal depending on style).

Barrel hinges are strong - more barrels (generally) means more strength … 5 and 7 barrels are now fairly common.

I guess though you’ve got to identify how you use your glasses … eg do you take them off and put them on often or leave them for long periods, handling can cause them to warp and or weaken; do you use them for work (what’s the environment); do you use them for sport etc

I had some Dita frames for about 10 years and my current Jacques Marie Mage frames are about 8 years old - all had lenses swapped as my prescription changed … no significant issues with any other than clumsiness 

Had a pair of moscot ‘s for about 5 yrs. Pretty rough wear, work, workshop(metal, brazing,) cyclingz

they hold up great. The lenses were done and wanted something else.

now a pair of effector eyewear from Japan. Bought them for the looks. Have them for over a year now, and hold up well They are heavy , the hinges are good.