Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

Seconded on all counts. I was really bummed, a many-years-old pair came through SELA recently, and they're amazing.The 47 cut suits almost everyone. Unfortunately I'm not one of those people, haha. Great fit, b_F!

So I've been looking into getting a pair of the SC '47s (unwashed if possible) and need some sizing advice. I'm trying to choose between the 34" and 36". The 34" has better measurements for me everywhere but the waist (a 35" inch waiste would be my ideal size). Does the waist on the '47s stretch back out to raw measurements or will I regret not getting the 36"?

Cuss,

Just an FYI - I tried to downsize my 47s (bought size 31 raw) and post-soak, the waist was snug but wearable.  The real problem was fairly subtle, but came from the rise/tapered waist combo.  Because the waist is nice and tapered, the crotch was riding up when I sat.  Basically, frontal wedgies.

I sit for a living (whoo computers), so I couldn't wear them very long without sore crotch.  

I thought maybe they'd stretch, but after a few days of pain I gave up and went for a 32.  They fit perfectly.

I'm not sure how you'd make sure that isn't an issue on the 34s - beyond trying the one-wash 34 on in the store and sitting/walking around a lot.

Good luck.

I've got an issue. So unfortunately I've been losing weight since I picked these up in early November (The bad weight mostly). 

Now I've got a good few inches of room in the waist that's becoming pretty annoying as it's giving me a sort of cup or jockstrap effect in the crotch. Here are some pictures of what I mean

s0RXmz0.png

And the "bulge" effect I mean

lWKhvZj.png

Is there any hope to take these in in the waist? I really don't like constantly smoothing out the front and pulling the slack to the back, and pulling up my pants since i'm down to the last belt loop. The fit everywhere else though is spot on for me. Am I over thinking it?

I've washed them about once a month so they've had 3 washes. They haven't been machine dried but I don't think I'd lose like 2 inches in a tumble cycle. 

They're the 2014s in size 33. I'll pm you the measurements later if you're interested.

Erase makes a good point here. The front rise and the seat on 47s are cut pretty close and the jeans sit quite close across the front and back of the top block. I reckon you can go down one inch true size on the 47s but not two inches without causing a lot of discomfort. I want a 31'' waist on my jeans, so bought 47s in tagged 31 with a 30.5'' waist. The top block was restrictive for about a week but eased up and became perfect after that. The waist stretched out about an inch I think. 

Cuss,

Just an FYI - I tried to downsize my 47s (bought size 31 raw) and post-soak, the waist was snug but wearable.  The real problem was fairly subtle, but came from the rise/tapered waist combo.  Because the waist is nice and tapered, the crotch was riding up when I sat.  Basically, frontal wedgies.

I sit for a living (whoo computers), so I couldn't wear them very long without sore crotch.  

I thought maybe they'd stretch, but after a few days of pain I gave up and went for a 32.  They fit perfectly.

I'm not sure how you'd make sure that isn't an issue on the 34s - beyond trying the one-wash 34 on in the store and sitting/walking around a lot.

Good luck.

Don't be too quick to get rid of them. I lost a chunk of weight last year and all of my jeans were too big. Bought some new jeans and since then I've put half the weight I lost back on. Back into some of my old jeans again. Keep a range of sizes if you find your waist changes a fair bit with weight fluctuations.

Just a quick example what can happen in 5 years.

5 years ago, the former Sufu member almostnice sent me his SC Okinawa to try out. I remeber that I liked them but back then the denim didn't overwhelm me like it did now after I got my new pair. Through his wear&tear the denim lost a bit of its "character" (but of course developed a different character).

Long story short, 5 years ago a size 32 in the Okinawa fitted me like this:

16201382610_3d48e07954_z.jpg

15766336534_f1ce166dc6_z.jpg

Not much tighter than the size 34 does nowadays... :wacko:

I'd hang onto them in case you gain the weight back. Which is what happened to me. Lost a ton of weight, sold off almost half of my collection at fire sale prices (ugh, so much regret) because I thought I'd 'never' be a size 34-36 again. Then steadily gained back about 10kg over the past 5 years or so. And now I don't have the money to buy new jeans (I'm saving all of my size 31-33 jeans in case I lose the weight or buy a decent waist stretcher).

I'd hang onto them in case you gain the weight back. Which is what happened to me. Lost a ton of weight, sold off almost half of my collection at fire sale prices (ugh, so much regret) because I thought I'd 'never' be a size 34-36 again. Then steadily gained back about 10kg over the past 5 years or so. And now I don't have the money to buy new jeans (I'm saving all of my size 31-33 jeans in case I lose the weight or buy a decent waist stretcher).

Dude, my Okinawas came from you in 2010... they've had a good life — still going strong!

History Preservation updated their website.

And the SC 1947 can be bought for 155$ + shipping. Not baaaad

http://www.historypreservation.com/products-page/sugar-cane-brands/sugar-cane-1947-unwashed-raw-selvage-denim-jeans-dungarees/

Okinawa and Hawaii for 190$

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK