Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

Cuss,

Just an FYI - I tried to downsize my 47s (bought size 31 raw) and post-soak, the waist was snug but wearable.  The real problem was fairly subtle, but came from the rise/tapered waist combo.  Because the waist is nice and tapered, the crotch was riding up when I sat.  Basically, frontal wedgies.

I sit for a living (whoo computers), so I couldn't wear them very long without sore crotch.  

I thought maybe they'd stretch, but after a few days of pain I gave up and went for a 32.  They fit perfectly.

I'm not sure how you'd make sure that isn't an issue on the 34s - beyond trying the one-wash 34 on in the store and sitting/walking around a lot.

Good luck.

I actually tried on a pair of the one wash '47s at SE the last time I was in New York, but I'm struggling to remember if they were 34 or 36. To compare, I also tried on a 34 Roy KS1002 and those fit really well in the waist, but I wasn't a fan of how the thighs compared to the leg raper looked on me.

A 35 would be no question for me if available, but infortunatley there is no such option. I purchased my Flat Head 1001s in a 36 and the waist is a good fit after I shrink them, but I wash them more often than need to keep the waist snug. Ideally I want a pair of '47s I can soak every few months and machine wash them less often. I'm also considering the 2009 in 36 since it is the slimmer cut of the two, but I'm looking to add a high rise jean into my rotation.

Cusswords - if the SC 47 doesn't work out for you, another option might be the 1001 from Warehouse. The one wash waist measurement for tagged 36 on the WH site is 90cm (35.4'') and the cut is not a million miles from the 47. Can't go wrong with either.

Edited by Sugar Mountain

• 3 weeks later...

Shoot Tyler a message either here or via Twitter. He's quite responsive and will gladly measure out an individual pair for you in various ways so that you're as sure of the fit as possible, without being able to actually try them on. Great service. 

Is Tyler still on sufu? I haven't seen him post in quite some time.

Private messages on here sometimes get missed for a few days at a time, but if you PM me on twitter, or email me at [email protected], I'll respond with more words than you probably wanted, at times of night that make you question what kind of person I am!  Trying to get back in the flow of posting on here more frequently, but also trying to not spend anymore time in front of a computer than I need to!  Miss you guys!  Talk more soon!

• 2 weeks later...

So, not that I need any more jeans...

What are the main differences between the Okinawa's and Hawaii's?

Aside from pocket bags, sashiko pattern on the back, patch and LHT / RHT of course.

Measurements look similar too.

I could just wait for the SE collab (if that's still in the books) but I'm also just a bit curious.

Valid point b_F, I guess when you think about it that way they're two very different jeans.

I was just making sure there wasn't something I was missing. With the current exchange rate a pair of Okinawa's or Hawaii's seems very tempting to add to the collection...

Does anyone know how the new global pricing is going to work? Does it only add $25 to HP's price? I doubt self edge is going to drop their price on sc stuff right?

We already dropped our prices on all SC jeans, and with the new prices it still includes free shipping.

Stacking my Hawaiis on top of my Okinawas they are identical. Any variation is not beyond the usual slight inconsistencies from batch to batch and will be small enough not to affect the overall fit. Okis are stiffer at first, and mine are still after several months, so they don't drape as nicely until they are broken in; this might account for some perceived difference in fit.

Edited by Planetarium

Can anyone direct me to some more info on this Sugar Cane model? I got them from Self Edge's Que Pasa sale (where it was sold as the "Hand-Loomed" model) but can't find anything more about it online.

23ku803.jpg

Here's the patch and flyer.

9a7seh.jpg

I'm guessing it's a 50/50 fabric judging by this label.

dnynbq.jpg

Here's a shot of the green-and-white selvedge.

I'd appreciate any more info! Ideally, these would be my jeans for the DWC.. if only I could figure out what weight class to enter them in :P thanks!