SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

I prefer the first pair although that thigh pocket on the painters is useful if you can fit a mobile phone in there - and obviously I don’t mean one of those stupid ones that are almost as big as an iPad!

Posted (edited)

I use my coin pocket, for coin

people in line behind me at the cash register, don’t like it, nor the cassiere. Especially when the pocket is real small. 
but that’s why there are self scan registers 

Edited by smoothsailor

3 minutes ago, Broark said:

Has the forum been loading extra slow for anyone else lately? Noticing it on both my phone and laptop.

Yes mate, since this morning on my phone. Which is all l pretty much use.

Just takes an extra 5 seconds but consistently so every time.

On 6/3/2024 at 8:57 AM, mlwdp said:

Which pair should I buy?

First pair-wide leg

Second pair-painter

third pair- mil denim

I love 2 & 3 but the patch pockets on pants can be a PITA. Things tend to fall out when you sit down, etc. Those small hip pockets / too pockets are great for pocket knives, if that's your thing.

What brand are those?

Thinking about purchasing a pair of Freewheelers Vanishing West 1942 or 1944. What’s the general sizing advice? For the reference I wear a size 34 in OOE Yufuketen 0A01, 33 in TCB 50s. 

Also, which Japanese shop would you recommend? I’d also like to get them hemmed.  Thanks in advance!

Most will tell you to buy from Hoosier. Excellent service and everything will be covered.

In terms of size: I wore a W34 in the FW1947 and wear a W36 in Ooe. The FW felt roomier so you will probably be happy with a W32 or a W33 to be safe.

On 6/12/2024 at 10:08 AM, JDelage said:

Those small hip pockets / too pockets are great for pocket knives, if that's your thing.

Size of the Phigvel pocket

IMG_4803.png

6 hours ago, MJF9 said:

What sunglasses are cutting it gents?

I'm more inclined to lower cost with good lens quality but open to all suggestions... thanks

For medium price level I've been quite happy with TBD (the bespoke dudes, I think), Retro Superfuture or Komono.

On 6/15/2024 at 6:06 AM, MJF9 said:

What sunglasses are cutting it gents?

I'm more inclined to lower cost with good lens quality but open to all suggestions... thanks

The best lenses I've ever experienced are those of Maui Jim. I especially like their polarized ultra thin glass. They literally make the world prettier (by erasing some refracted light, they make everything a tad more contrasty).
SALT Optics also has very good quality glass. I especially like their polarized gradient lenses for driving, because the gradient allows you to get the full benefit of the polarized lens in front of you, and yet to see clearly a screen (for mapping).

^Resolute has their AA 10th anniversary denim. Still in production from time to time ;) I think a few people have experience with this denim.

Denime and Warehouse sometimes got it in their lineup as well and I am wearing a pair of SC41265s right now. 

Some brands go more in the ecru direction while some go more pure white. Ages differently and makes it different to combine, but both work out well with a lot of outfits imo. Especially as they age, it evens out with ecru and white.

3 hours ago, JDelage said:

Looking for recommendations for a nice cotton or linen cardigan. Indigo would be nice. Thanks!

https://www.tenderstores.com/product/type-747-rowers-cardigan/?variation=25514 it is all three things you mention in one garment. I have it and like it quite a bit. 

For anyone in the know, I’ll be in London for a few days later next week and since there’s nowhere near me to get a chain stitch hem I’m thinking of swinging by one of the shops there to thin out the cuff on my OA’s.

Do any of them do it while you wait? Any recs for who tends to do a better job?

^ I can recommend Son of a Stag and Rivet & Hide - both do an excellent job and I’ve good experience of them. I’ve never tried Clutch Cafe but I have no doubts they’d be up to the mark too.

Why not email/message all 3 in advance and ask if anyone can do it while you wait? You may also prefer whichever one is closer to where you’re staying. Where are you staying?

+ 1 for Clutch Cafe. I've only ever had my hems done by them (5 pairs now) and they've always been great. About to find out about Son of a Stag's hemming next week.

This is always via post and turnaround has been ~7 days each time so can't speak to while you wait availability.

Son of a Stag hemming is spot on in my experience

Our very own @Mr Black did a great job on my Denime 220s last time round

A chap called David at Soldier Blue has also done a top job on two pairs of Canes previously, using cotton thread from his own supply to get a thread match

On 6/19/2024 at 12:56 AM, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

Staying near St. Paul’s, looks like I’m about halfway between the two! But not so far from any of them, really. I’ll drop a line to the shops, thanks! 

@AlientoyWorkmachine

We're probably the closest to the St Pauls area.

I'm working in the shop (son of a stag) on tues & Weds this week. It's generally quiet enough on those days to be done while you wait- or grab a coffee while it's being done if you prefer. I'm in the workshop (soldier blue) doing repairs on Mon & thurs. It's only 7 mins or so from the shop and would happily pop over to do it. Feel free to DM if you have any questions.

Martin

Edited by Mr Black