SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

On 11/22/2023 at 5:03 PM, indigoeagle said:

There had been some question about oxford shirts.

Workers has a preorder on, I think, for what looks like solid, classical oxford shirts.
Supima cotton white
https://www.e-workers.net/store/202402/ib2.html

Chambray
https://www.e-workers.net/store/202402/ib6.html

There is also a Cat Day coverall:
https://www.e-workers.net/store/202402/ie1.html

Unfortunately you have to go through a retailer to pre-order Workers overseas. I've had mixed success trying to do this, and it's become more difficult over the last year or so as the stores I'm used to using have either gone out of business or outsourced their overseas shipping to proxy services that don't work as well. Let me know if you have success pre-ordering!

By the way, I own oxfords I like from workers, beams, kamakura, and gitman. Workers are my favorite, but the sizing is limited and the fit a little unusual compared to these others brands. Each shirt is very different, I would recommend all of them in different cases depending on how they're going to be worn.

8 hours ago, willi said:

Unfortunately you have to go through a retailer to pre-order Workers overseas. I've had mixed success trying to do this, and it's become more difficult over the last year or so as the stores I'm used to using have either gone out of business or outsourced their overseas shipping to proxy services that don't work as well. Let me know if you have success pre-ordering!

By the way, I own oxfords I like from workers, beams, kamakura, and gitman. Workers are my favorite, but the sizing is limited and the fit a little unusual compared to these others brands. Each shirt is very different, I would recommend all of them in different cases depending on how they're going to be worn.

I've got some from beams+,and also kamakura and gitman. Very happy with all of them.
No shirt from workers yet.

I often wonder what happened to a lot of old time posters, probably just lost interest in posting.

Officially looking for recommendations for London and Paris, staying in Shoreditch December 26th - 30th, Paris from the 30th - 4th before coming back for our flight on the 5th.
Museums, sights, shops, coffee, restaurants, pubs, etc. Not looking for anything super fancy, I prefer to try and experience places like the locals when I can.
I know it's a busy time of year but if anyone wants to grab a pint or a coffee let me know!

Shame @Broark, as for the last couple of years l've been celebrating the holidays in London with my Mrs and her sister (and my 3 yr old niece) but this year due to work commitments l'm down in the cotswolds, otherwise would have loved to. I've got a pair of conners to hem at Soas which is in Shoreditch too!

Next time for sure.

11 hours ago, Broark said:

I often wonder what happened to a lot of old time posters, probably just lost interest in posting.

Officially looking for recommendations for London and Paris, staying in Shoreditch December 26th - 30th, Paris from the 30th - 4th before coming back for our flight on the 5th.
Museums, sights, shops, coffee, restaurants, pubs, etc. Not looking for anything super fancy, I prefer to try and experience places like the locals when I can.
I know it's a busy time of year but if anyone wants to grab a pint or a coffee let me know!

4 hours ago, Dr_Heech said:

Shame @Broark, as for the last couple of years l've been celebrating the holidays in London with my Mrs and her sister (and my 3 yr old niece) but this year due to work commitments l'm down in the cotswolds, otherwise would have loved to. I've got a pair of conners to hem at Soas which is in Shoreditch too!

Next time for sure.

Pointless doc - I already offered to meet him Paris but he wouldn’t send me the ‘plane tickets

5 hours ago, Dr_Heech said:

Next time for sure.

No worries Doc, totally understand. I'm sure this won't be our last trip!
We'll actually be taking a day tour of the Cotswolds on the 28th, something the Mrs. has always wanted to do.

50 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

Pointless doc - I already offered to meet him Paris but he wouldn’t send me the ‘plane tickets

I think someone just wanted a free New Year's trip to Paris. :laugh2:

15 minutes ago, Dr_Heech said:

If you happen to come across Minchinhampton Common on that day I'll give you guys a wave 👋

It’s a bit out of season but there’s a Winstone’s Icecream shop that’s pretty good, usually surrounded by roaming cows. Worth a visit. 

Edited by Toegun

2 hours ago, Toegun said:

It’s a bit out of season but there’s a Winstone’s Icecream shop that’s pretty good, usually surrounded by roaming cows. Worth a visit. 

@Broark The Winstones ice cream shop is on Roborough Common, a few hundred feet from the Bear of Roborough pub/hotel.

The cows have gone in now and won't be back until the spring (woo hoo!) And as Toegun said, well worth a visit.  

Hey @Broark, although I’m very much a Londoner, unfortunately I won’t be available to meet up as I’ll be busy with the family and friends over that period. You should visit at a sensible time! 🎅

If I think of any must do/see things, I’ll let you know…

13 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

In Germany that could be any day... :P

I like German trains. Though trains in India have their delights too. They rarely depart and never arrive on time. This liberates one from the silly attachment to timetables.

I was a little surprised to hear about tardy German trains considering the punctuality stereotype

I hear the Swiss have been trying to ban German trains going into Switzerland because their lateness delays  Swiss trains

Not that the UK smells of roses!

image.png.0acaba5bae8d188e81f000c2c220a980.png

Any recommendations for indigo-dyed sweatshirts? I'm looking for a boxy fit, dark dye, and prioritizing warmth as much as possible. I had looked at Strike Gold but was disappointed to see they seem to have increased the length of their new run of sweatshirts dramatically. Thanks in advance!

Edited by chicote

Thanks @JDelage. I don’t see them having any available at the moment, but I’ll keep it in mind.

The one I’m leaning towards most atm is this Schott one:

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/b3-leather-bomber-jacket.htm#tab-overview

It’s a B-3 so thicker and warmer than your average B-6, but has those two handwarmer pockets unlike the period correct version with only one; price is decent too - not really looking forward to paying +3500 gbp for RMC…

@Hopethisoneisnttaken thanks! I’m assuming you mean this one https://fieldleathers.com/product/the-connecticut/

it does look nice, my biggest gripe would be, at least from the look of it, unlined sleeves, I might be wrong though; also looks like it leans more towards the fashion side imo, the way the outer shell looks etc. It does look well made and a pretty good price! Would the quality be that much better than Schott? And, generally, how would Schott, Aero, Eastman and others compare quality wise?

17 minutes ago, JDelage said:

How do Japanese stores measure the waist and how different is it from the "US way"? So if I look at a pair on a Japanese site with a measured waist of 78cm, how should I think about it?

I just go by the website in particular. Any store demonstrates the way they get their measurements. The big thing for me is if the thigh is measure directly at crotch seam or like 10 cm down. Most seem to do the waist as lay flat x2.