minya

SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

in Ueno there's Hinoya as well as Americaya down the street within both of those stores you'll find pretty much any big japanese denim brand. Harajuku is where most brand specific stores are. Ebisu is where i found Evisu and Warehouse by accident 

On 3/1/2018 at 6:20 AM, bschenk8 said:

Does anyone know a good way of getting bed bugs out of raw denim without ruining them in the dryer? I read that putting clothing in the freezer at 0 celsius for 4 days would kill them, would this damage the denim? I know some people clean like this but 4 days seems excessive

I got bedbugs in my jeans before. I put mine in the drier PLUS put them in the freezer for 4 days. The denim doesn't look 100% but it's part of the "personalizing" process lol. But the crotch did bust because it softened up the denim a bunch, but I just patched them and wear them fine now, they feel super broken in.

Trust me, you have got to get rid of the bedbugs before they take over your house. You could end up spending way more money on a new mattress or exterminators, getting rid of bedbugs should be top priority. Do not fuck with them, they can and will take over your life and cause huge problems if you don't solve the problem early before they multiply out of control.

On 3/6/2018 at 8:59 AM, nycsurfer530 said:

I would check out warehouse for sure! I've read the store there has besides warehouse goods but also some cool duck diggers, hellers cafe, and vintage pieces. 

I went to warehouse today and I thought the jeans looked super normal. The faded samples they had just looked like normal beat up levi's. But maybe that's the point. Also checked out Studio D'Artisan which was around the corner and same impression, I didn't see anything to justify the $240 or so cost of the denim. They were definitely "boutiques" and the sales staff looked a little pissed off at these places when I walked in, I'm wearing pure faded-ass original 30 year-old vintage clothing, maybe they thought I looked to poor to afford the stuff there but it's the look I like.

I checked out sugar cane, Japan Blue, iron heart. They just seem a little more special with textured fabric, or heavy duty high OZ denim, etc., that seems to justify the high cost of boutique denim. Plus they were cheaper. I think they'd match well with my current wardrobe which consists mostly of kinda faded retro stuff. These jeans just LOOK a little more expensive to me, anyway, and happen to be cheaper.

Any other recommendations based on my preferences above would be helpful! 

If the warehouse banner denim or SDA 15oz (my favourite denim) doesn't excite you not sure what else to suggest! 

PBJ in Harajuku will be worth a look.

Trophy Clothing might be up your alley if you want jeans with some texture.

Definitely go to Ueno though if you're not sure what you're looking for. You'll find plenty to choose from in Hinoyas stores, Americaya etc. 

Maybe Eternal or Flat Head?

5 hours ago, Bobbo said:

Definitely go to Ueno though if you're not sure what you're looking for. You'll find plenty to choose from in Hinoyas stores, Americaya etc. 

I second Trophy Clothing.  I own the 1605bk with a fit pic on here.  Awesome texture, and can't stop myself from wearing them everyday!

12 hours ago, brainmonster said:

They were definitely "boutiques" and the sales staff looked a little pissed off at these places when I walked in,

Yeah, what's up with that.

1 hour ago, Iron Horse said:

Yeah, what's up with that.

Yeah sometimes the sales staff at Hinoya are a little rude (sometimes not), maybe it's an elitist denim thing. Usually sales staff in Japan are super friendly. The guy at Studio D'Artisan was pretty nice though.

4 hours ago, mlwdp said:

I second Trophy Clothing.  I own the 1605bk with a fit pic on here.  Awesome texture, and can't stop myself from wearing them everyday!

10 hours ago, Bobbo said:

Thanks, Trophy Clothing looks OK but, I think the main thing is that the 1940's railroad worker/locomotive thing is just not really my style. I've got more of a 50's/80's hipster/indie rock thing going on. So Warehouse doesn't really fit my style either.

I think I'll go to Hinoya and look at their huge selection, seems like the best bet. Being able to visit all these stores in Tokyo is going ways to improve my style. I'm kinda thinking about trying to get involved with the denim guys since I can speak some Japanese ;p Would be cool to visit a factor and take pictures or something to show everyone on this forum.

Edited by brainmonster

If my jeans are lose at the knee, would it take longer to get fades? I guess there are a lot of people here who wear relaxed, straight, regular fits that aren't tight?

22 minutes ago, i_denim said:

If my jeans are lose at the knee, would it take longer to get fades? I guess there are a lot of people here who wear relaxed, straight, regular fits that aren't tight?

The fades might not be so pronounced if they fit looser but that's nothing to worry about imo. Just wear and wash the jeans when they are dirty and you will get fades. It won't happen over the night. 

Post some fitpics so it's easier to see what you mean. 

Edited by tigerstrom

is the Fullcount 1101 fit close to a Samurai 710. Ideally looking for a fit that's slightly higher rise + larger thigh with the same amount of taper as the 710. Don't plan on buying anything right now just looking...

Edited by FreeCharlesManson

I think you're going in the right direction, the rise on the 1101 is a tad higher and the thighs are a touch bigger compared to the 710 while maintaining a nice taper.

15 minutes ago, Evry1lovej said:

What brand raw denim do you guys prefer? PBJ, Oni, or any other brand. 

Ooe and tcb

4 hours ago, Critical Observer said:

Iron Heart 888 ís another great option for "adult taper" cut with a higher rise.

yeah i'm kinda tired of "relaxed taper" equaling tight taper + a slightly bearable top block

Any hemming expert here? Can the 11500G create better roping than 43200G?

Edited by keybladehero

When do like to spring for chain stitch hemming? After initial soak ?  Or afte first wash ?   I’d like to hem a few pairs but they are not ready for wash yet. 

Or do do you go with a generic hem to get rid of some length early and then chain stitch later after yor are comfortable all shrink is out post washing 

Both a wash and a soak will give you some roping. For me it usually takes about 3-4 trips through water to get the roping settled. If you dare or know exactly how much they will shrink, hem as soon as possible. If you don’t know how much they’ll shrink and hem after all the shrink is out its not the end of the world. The roping fade usually  catches up.

Hi all, had a question for @kiya / folks in general.  

Here's my question / concern:  I have two pairs of 45rpm Sorahikos that I've worn and loved for years, and which developed holes in the knees.  Since I live in San Francisco, I took them to Self Edge for their denim repair service.  SF did a nice job with both jeans, really working over the holes with a LOT of darning. 

The problem is that the darned sections are now so 'dense' and stiff with new material that the stress and strain of wearing the jeans is now transferring awayfrom the repaired sections, and to the edges of the unrepaired denim.  That strain is evident, as the threads around the edges are starting to wear out and unravel.  If I continue wearing these repaired jeans, the threads all around the repaired bits are going to unravel, and the entire patched portions are simply going to 'fall off', leaving huge holes.

I don't think this would happen if the darned portions were more flexible, but since they're so stiff and rigid, its kind of a challenge because the whole jean doesn't really move and flex in a 'fluid' way anymore.  Is there a way to UN-darn the repaired sections, or make the darned areas a lot more flexible somehow?  As it stands, I'm scared to wear my beloved old Sorahikos because they are wearing out even faster now with the darned patches.    

Any advice would be appreciated! 

Interested to see some pictures too if possible :)

Anyone shopped with Reggieshop.com from Japan? Any experience.?

Anyone have an email address,  they not to responsive via their contact page!

Aah,  just found an email address. Let's see if they respond.

17 hours ago, Geeman said:

Aah,  just found an email address. Let's see if they respond.

What are you planning to buy? I see some good brands like Warehouse and LVC there :)

EG jacket 

@Geeman just received some Orslow fatigue from Reggie on rakuten (same ship I guess). It's been like another rakuten experience : Fast and reliable. Haven't been in touch with their customer service but they shipped extremely fast.

1 hour ago, Collin said:

@Geeman just received some Orslow fatigue from Reggie on rakuten (same ship I guess). It's been like another rakuten experience : Fast and reliable. Haven't been in touch with their customer service but they shipped extremely fast.

I mentioned a while back about the difference between a store's direct site and their Rakuten shop.  I think the common consensus is Rakuten will ship anything as long as the store uses it, unless the store explicitly states they won't ship certain things like Red Wing shoes, etc.

I can't find the same items in their Rakuten store as their own site though?