Levi's Vintage Clothing

On 5/18/2019 at 12:58 AM, Maynard Friedman said:

Funnily enough I found the 1915s to be a reasonably slimmer fit (I have athletic ie non-slim legs) in comparison to my 201s or 37s, especially from the knee down, where they had what I’d describe as a stove-pipe fit. This may be because I had to size down 2 sizes (from a 32 to a 30) as the waist came up so big - this was the same on 2 pairs, although I sold one, still new, due to back rivet scratching on furniture, floors, etc.

I’d recommend the 76s. I have a raw pair of 66s too and would probably swap them for another pair of 76s. I have no knowledge of, nor to be honest, interest in, the 47s as they are a fairly slim cut.

@Maynard Friedman 1976 it is then.   do you have any opinion on the 1890?  

Not really I’m afraid, the single pocket and exposed back rivets simply mean they’re not my cup of tea. However they’re lightweight (therefore ideal for summer) and the denim is an attractive shade so if that’s your thing then I say get them.

just realised today is the last day of ‘501 Day’ - all 501s, including LVC models are 20% off on the Levi’s online store in the UK, not sure if this applies elsewhere.

On 5/18/2019 at 11:48 AM, Pedro said:

I’ll have to take your word for it because I have been wearing button fly 501’s for about 45 years (which is probably close to 100 pairs) and wrung every last bit of life from the denim and not one time have I ever seen that amount of fly placket fading.

Is it more common with dry humping? ;-) Maybe some of my HS jeans looked like this!

Have you ever broken in a raw pair for a very long time before washing them? Raw is when the button outlines start to form IME.

I started breaking in a '66 reissue and a '55 reissue in the past year. Both are very relaxed fitting, still raw, and both are getting early button outlines on their fly plackets.

On 5/19/2019 at 9:20 AM, vexed_wear said:

... 1976 it is then.   do you have any opinion on the 1890?  

My story is that I went into the london store to get the 1890 (to pair with triple pleat jacket for total tux tuta as I really like how the denim has evolved on that jacket), then out of curiousity tried on the '76

left with both... [really didn't expect to at all]

v. glad now as '76 is all gone in my size in uk web-site

both are great, but the '76 is perhaps most versatile for everyday wear and for UK weather...

Edited by bartlebyyphonics

I bought them years ago from eBay in what was essentially a one-wash condition with no obvious wear. The cinch was already cut, old-timey style (and made clear from the sale photos) so I unpicked the stitching and eased the rivets off, then darned the holes with indigo thread. Not bad for £22 plus postage.

@Pedro - sorry, as explained above, I never had the cinch.

are LVC's that are New Rinse the same Rigid Cone Denim that has been through a one-wash process at a Levi's facility? What's the opinion re: New Rinse? 

15 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

(Cinchless) 37s getting ready for the summer.

42988E5F-3A17-460A-98D2-F2E742E74BA6.jpeg

Are these the ones you had tapered? If so was it full leg or from knee? I’m thinking of getting mine down to an 8” hem from nearly 10” they are now

I’d say they tapered them very gradually from the mid/lower thigh to the hem on the inseam only. This avoids a sharp taper that might interrupt the flow of the leg I think. I asked for an 8” hem but they are probably 7 3/4”. I used a pair of Ande Whall Buffalo as the target silhouette.

4 hours ago, Thanks_M8 said:

What's the general consensus on the 1978 501 and the 1962 551z? Anybody got experience with them and/or would  like to share measurements?

Hi! 

Never owned the 1962 551z, but had a pair of 1978 501 a while back. Sold them since I never got used to the fit, don't know what it was. Probably a short back rise combined with small back pockets.

Sadly I couldn't find all measurements, but still have these. These measurements are from the pair when it had been worn for maybe a week after a wash. I remember the waist stretching out easily. 

Waist 42 cm

Hips measured straight across from the bottom of the arcs 55 cm

Thigh 30,5 cm

Hem 19 cm

Sorry for low quality pics. 

DSC_1336.JPG

DSC_1332.JPG

DSC_1309.JPG

Edited by maharu

On 5/18/2019 at 6:14 PM, mpukas said:

re: the '54 vs '47 - several fellas just said the '54 has a higher rise than the '47, but the BrooklynDenimCo fit guide says the '47 has a front rise of 12 1/4" and the '54 has a front rise of 11 1/2". :huh:

It would be boring if it was straightforward! 

I’ve just been up the loft to take measurements for you but I can’t find my stash of jeans. Bit worrying as a couple of things went missing in my move last year including an office chair. How the f**k do you lose an office chair...

Sorry the info is inconsistent, but I do recall the 47 rise being lower. My 47s and 54s were bought from different seasons so that could explain it. I seem to recall cultizm has pretty decent measurement guides you could compare. 

So after measuring a bunch of 47s, they do in fact have a marginally higher rise than the 54s. I feel like its the taper on the 54s that give the illusion of a higher rise.

Also, it's worth noting that the 47s run small in the waist. So a tagged 33" is actually a 32" and so on. 

Here are the measurements for both 47 and 54 in size 33 in a 34" leg

1947                           1954

Waist                       32"                             33"

Front Rise              12"                              11.5"

Back Rise               15.5"                         16.25"

Thigh                      12"                             12.25"

Length                   34"                              34"

Hem                       8"                               7.5"

Edited by kicks79
added measurements for 33"

Found my old Levi’s. 

The rise (from crotch seam) on the 54 is 10” and is consistently 11” across 3 pairs of 47s. All are 30 waist. 

The back rise is higher at 15.5” in the 54 vs 14” - 14.5” in the 47s. 

Appreciate this is repeating kicks79 but may be helpful. 

The seat feels more roomy in the 54 despite the lower rise, perhaps due to higher back rise and slightly larger waist of half an inch. 

Edit: Brucey bonus pic after measuring. Top to bottom : 47, 54 & 47. Excuse various table legs, limited space in loft. 

F3C543E8-D1FE-435E-A17A-0E1222C0D063.thumb.jpeg.22c128b7b3d136227798c98d73594dc0.jpeg

Edited by unders
Pic

On 5/21/2019 at 6:34 PM, Broark said:

Kind of tempted by the Unionmade sale to pick up a pair of 1944s, then again not sure they're worth it even at a discounted price.

I was looking at Unionmade's LVC offerings just a couple of days before their sale, and they sold of a the models in my size I was looking at. Yet still, I'd have a hard time dropping $170 +/- on them when I could put that towards something I'd personally find more worth the cost. 

Hey LVC experts,

What's with the slim 1944xx thighs? Is this something they changed on the model? Going through old posts, the thighs don't seem slim like that. I think a size 30 and 31 are a 10" thigh. I'm interested in a pair of 44s, but maybe not if those measurements are correct. 

On 5/18/2019 at 6:15 AM, 501XX4EVER said:

I would love if "they" would reactivate L.V.C. Japan, they really did great work, check out these '44's...

Limited Edition of Levi's Vintage Clothing 1944’s

Can you confirm these are Japanese made? They don’t say LVC anywhere but I bought them maybe 10 years ago on Ebay. Over 40 years of STF 501 experience but I don’t yet feel qualified to wear these.

Wash tag is JP and pricetag is JPY.

Thanks

E5E1D2FF-ECBD-4043-8FB5-F1C8EEB42121.jpeg

AD498245-5F31-4037-BDC4-7CFC6BB22318.jpeg

E7CC4C7C-6CD4-4895-A500-D6DCDA8C546A.jpeg

1CE24A7B-85D8-46BE-B9A9-B758C9827BED.jpeg