jstavrin

Loopwheeled/Vintage T-Shirts

Posted (edited)

@JDelage
That’s probably a sweatshirt-type of knit - loopback or terry cloth/French terry.

the machines for those types of knits go back in time as well, but the resulting materials are not as simple as standard t-shirt jerseys and require 2- to 3-yarn/thread systems.

Edited by Foxy2

@Foxy2 - I'm sure you're right. The fabric feel is very different from both jersey and terry. It's very dry, dense, with little or no give. I should take a magnifier glass to mine to see...

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, JDelage said:

@Foxy2 - I'm sure you're right. The fabric feel is very different from both jersey and terry. It's very dry, dense, with little or no give. I should take a magnifier glass to mine to see...

That could be an indication for a warp knit (flatbed or cylinder) or something even more exotic and old like a Raschel machine...

edit:

SDA’s webpage says it’s done in Wakayama on those loopwheel machines, which means it should be the standard loopback sweater knit.

Edited by Foxy2

I have a Rachel knit from Arpenteur. Thinking of dyeing it indigo...

^ In his and the shops’ defence, it has been 7+ years…

Edited by julian-wolf

A pet peeve of mine. I just read a description of a short boxy t-shirt as a 'traditional fit'. Where does this idea come from??? In every pre 1960, & likely pre 1970 photograph or movie example I have come across, t-shirts are worn tight & tucked in. So apparently vintage t-shirts were narrow & long, not short & boxy. Here's a photo of Tyrone Power in 1947 wearing a t-shirt that looks about two sizes too small & it's still long enough to be tucked in (Watch the movie, Nightmare Alley. It's good). So bearing all that in mind what's up with brands charging $100 for too short t-shirts? Is it a case of saving on cost by using less fabric? Opinions welcome...

.tyrone t-shirt.jpg

Edited by CSL