Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Perfect in every way...Had to requote this! What's the leather type (sorry I should know by now!)? 

cheers Aho!

I've scored these Nomads on ebay about six months ago. they're natural cxl, patina is amazing.

They look good Ed, but I agree with you on the buckles. Do you have a source for good roller buckles, or are participants going to have to source their own? I'd also want to make sure the bottom strap is the usual larger width. Getting the correct buckles would guaranty that, so that's not a big deal.

The last looks a little more like something you'd seen on a pair of oxfords in the pics with them on, but I think it actually works well. Please fill us all in on price and other specs if possible.

My Lofgren cognac Badalassi engineers after 6 weeks of wear, i can't believe how quickly these evolved.  Also the most comfortable boot i've worn in years.

IMG_0335.jpg

I don't understand why Viberg doesn't consistently use higher quality buckles for their engineer boots. The butterfly style just don't do it for me.

I got a much lower bar on buckles, since the Hoppers are my cherry. I was more concerned about the overall look & feel ... w/c @this point I'm loving them.

From what I gather, straps are its Achilles heel__ but, easily replaceable. So, I'll simply switch buckles when it's time to replace. What do you recommend pass muster?

Recently acquired some Alden Color 4 shell cordovan wingtip boots. They were used a little bit, but they were well taken care of, and I'll take what I can get with color 4. The color fluctuates a lot with lighting and background, which is pretty cool. Took a few photos to share, along with photos of my current shell cordovan set (whiskey shoes, color 2 wallet, color 4 boots, 2 x color 8 boots, black shoes). IRL, the color 4s are really almost right down the center of red and brown in average lighting. This is a really beautiful color and I'm stoked that my wife didn't kill me when I told her I wanted to buy amother pair of boots. :)

30032071562_4d7506cee5_b.jpg

29850731450_d5f13f6e2b_b.jpg

30032071512_1b3ddcb5e7_b.jpg

30111379066_1d3de8c3b6_b.jpg

29850731360_311a6d0a5b_b.jpg

2 vs 4 vs 8:

30111378946_2c29bb1524_b.jpg

Whiskey, 2 in front / 4 in back, 8 with more wear, 8 with less wear, black.

30032071582_1c3ba62f66_b.jpg

Edited by cander49

Vente Privee had a Red Wing sale, the most desirable models (like the roughout Blacksmith) sold out with 1-2 minutes as usual but I got a pair of brogue rangers for €110 :)

NCzY8FHl.jpg

Still deciding if the size is right (I went down to 42 from 43, 42,5 might have been better due do width issues) but I noticed a quality issue on the left boot at the heel. I'm talking about where the lighter part of the sole meets the heel construction. Maybe you can see what I mean in the second pic, I tried to get the other boot into the picture for comparison. The welt stitching doesn't go all the way back on this side, other side of the boot and the other boot look fine here.

l3otXral.jpg

HIn0lIpl.jpg

I realize this are "just Red Wings" and workmanship isn't stellar, but would any of you think of this as a real issue or am I overreacting?

Thanks guys!

I'll probably still have to return these :( These rangers are a size 9, just like my 2668 engineers, those fit great even with the steel toe... but the rangers are too narrow. Mini rant: I'm baffled that the concept that feet width can vary is just being ignored in Europe. I fit into the same W30 jeans as when I was 18, but I can't buy the same size shoes... my feet have widened a lot with age. I don't need longer shoes, just wider ones, but I can't buy that here, the only way to get more width is by sizing up and ending up with clown shoes in many cases. Pisses me off.

They were mine from a few years ago. Natty cxl, soft toe, resoled at Baker's and shaft narrowed. They did two winters on a motorcycle hence darkening up quite a bit.

Perfect in every way...Had to requote this! What's the leather type (sorry I should know by now!)?

Rolling Dub Trio x Mushman's, the Coupen low work boot.

Have been wanting a pair of RDT's for some time but didn't really want another CXL shoe.

Unlike the regular RDT boots these are made with Badalassi Carlo veg tanned leather (cognac) instead of Horween's CXL.

Jc1qGjW.jpg

pjgZXbv.jpg

The leather lace broke on the second day...

Temporarily replaced with some natural indigo laces. Will be swapping to some flat waxed brown laces soon.

hr6D0Uk.jpg

Edited by mikecch

I'll probably still have to return these :( These rangers are a size 9, just like my 2668 engineers, those fit great even with the steel toe... but the rangers are too narrow. Mini rant: I'm baffled that the concept that feet width can vary is just being ignored in Europe. I fit into the same W30 jeans as when I was 18, but I can't buy the same size shoes... my feet have widened a lot with age. I don't need longer shoes, just wider ones, but I can't buy that here, the only way to get more width is by sizing up and ending up with clown shoes in many cases. Pisses me off.

I ranted too soon :D I don't know what it was when I first tried them on, but they're not too narrow after all. I only have to get new laces now. The stock laces are ridiculously short.

Gorgeous.

They look really nice with the indigo laces

Cheers!

Yeah, liking the indigo more after wearing them today.

I like this Badalassi Carlo leather quite a bit. May have to look into more Badalassi leather on footwear.

Cheers!

Yeah, liking the indigo more after wearing them today.

I like this Badalassi Carlo leather quite a bit. May have to look into more Badalassi leather on footwear.

Mike,

Can you tell me more about that leather, the site you got 'em from,

and what they fit like. Had my eye on RDT for a while but so expensive.

BTW they are 'kin gorgeous.

Cheers.

Mike,

Can you tell me more about that leather, the site you got 'em from,

and what they fit like. Had my eye on RDT for a while but so expensive.

BTW they are 'kin gorgeous.

Cheers.

Hey OAP, they are from Mushman's:

http://www.mushmans.com/

The leather is Badalassi Carlo's top range Minerva leather, in the Liscio (smooth) finish.

I believe it is a full grain, aniline, veg tanned leather which is hand-dyed and curried with neatsfoot oil.

Not unicorn leather by any means, but very spectacular as far as leather on workshoes go.

These Coupens fit like boots rather than shoes, and the 360 Goodyear welt results in a larger heel than most.

I would say they are TTS with medium to thick socks. The hold is from the mid-foot forward.

Toe box is about D width (medium).

A full review is in the works - will post a link here soon.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...