Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

What leather conditioner do you guys use on your boots? I am looking for one that will not darken ro alter the shade of the leather

For feeding the leather (as opposed to polishing) I would recommend something that doesn't contain wax for most shoes.

Mustang Paste is good, but it doesn't need to be horse oil necessarily - mutton tallow, beef tallow, I used to use emu oil...anything with very high animal fat/oil content is fine.

For the past couple of years I've been using Bill's (Tender Co.) mutton tallow - highly recommended.

If there is too much wax in the feed, the wax would decrease the penetration of pigment dyes and cause build up of wax layers when you later on try to polish your shoes with a shoe creme/polish like Saphir.

Edited by mikecch

Ah cool, I'll give that a try as it's local (to UK) and in stock

What do you guys recommend for conditioning black oil tan leather? It's a very thick, matte leather:

BlackService6_zps0da76abc.jpg

What boots are those Aries? They look damn nice!

Edited by Niro

when I first saw Truman boots, i immediately thought they were viberg knockoffs.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

About as much as all the denim in this sub are knock-offs.

Similar, but different in price point, customization, availability, etc. And if you read Vibergs description they are also copies.

Knock-off is deragotory, so I would say no.

I just got my pair of Alden longwings resoled, and now they feel extremely weird. Granted, I had worn them down for ~4 years before getting them taken care of, so it stands to reason they'd feel comparatively rigid, but this doesn't seem right. It feels like the shoe is higher at the front end of the heel, keeping the shoe from sitting flush with the ground.

Does this sound normal to anyone? Everything *looks* even, so I'm hoping it's something that'll go away as I break them in again.

If it was a resole with leather soles, I would wager most of that will go away with the break in.  New leather soles tend to be rather stiff, so even a small amount of tension in the sole attachment/stitching will be noticeable at first, and go away quite quickly with a bit of wear.

That's been my experience anyway, the first week is like 'oh I don't know if this went right' and after that everything evens out and you'll be back to where your comfort was before.  I've had that experience with 2-3 resoles on different shoes/boots.

If it was a resole with leather soles, I would wager most of that will go away with the break in.  New leather soles tend to be rather stiff, so even a small amount of tension in the sole attachment/stitching will be noticeable at first, and go away quite quickly with a bit of wear.

That's been my experience anyway, the first week is like 'oh I don't know if this went right' and after that everything evens out and you'll be back to where your comfort was before.  I've had that experience with 2-3 resoles on different shoes/boots.

This is a huge relief--thank you! 

I've had boots resoled several times over the years, but I don't wear shoes often enough to have needed a resole until now.

I live for indigo ... but, [RAW] are indefinitely off limits to my Hoppers. Got strong aversion to indigo stains on anything__ I'd like to keep the dye strictly in the jeans, if I can help it.

However, we'll see how things progress__ quite the newb on the whole engineers steez ... Oh! Thank god I held on to my straights__ slim tapered won't do on these.

2A364331-F64F-4F01-82C0-456FA7D0293C.jpg

CBC2444F-38C4-4F1D-907A-0DF2424A08E8.jpg

827EA17E-A9A9-4296-A04B-A081E1385D1B.jpg

8B5C3F28-1B64-4000-97EC-0019064FA07C.jpg

56A156D1-87AF-4028-BC5A-8ED4A8A6F418.jpg

11DF4F60-B757-4C70-81A7-4F313195D0A9.jpg

edieeengineer prototype. yeah nvm the buckles  but the fit is spot on. orders will be  taken in a couple of weeks after i try to break these in.

050F1209-31E9-45F5-B103-200BDF92213C_zps

E0DAC2B4-F232-409D-8E6D-8545D61ED163_zps

DDBE7490-0913-4CBF-886C-D1A9DA3F667B_zps

7BF416C3-B494-4BE5-8499-4AB87BEB57FA_zps

C7D81C82-6E4F-46C1-B39A-792D2A9E4F2C_zps

D6F07E0F-4BA7-4FCA-8ADB-FEDA34C6EB2D_zps

13AAEDE7-E3A7-40D7-AFB8-3923B90BA668_zps

1CDCD609-DB31-4146-9ADE-C7323D009A2B_zps

you can opt to choose thinner outsoles or half soles or higher heel or lower or block heel cause each order will be MTO. so yeah but the last will be consistent. i do have another last which is chunkier like a wesco  boss last but narrower.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...