Sugar Cane Denim

allacedout

I’ve had some clothing stored in vacuum bags for a few years before, took the items out and they still smelled freshly washed. Not sure how new denim would fare but I reckon it’s a safe bet. No air = not much in the way of bacteria / fungus / moths / whatever else would soil your clothes in storage, right?

^ quite a bit of shrinkage... jacket length from 64cm to 60cm... albeit still damp so it'll expand a bit... proper short blouse length... quite excited to wear these tomorrow

25 minutes ago, Dr_Heech said:

You've got a lot of measuring to do @MJF9 😄

Nice tux, plenty of extra thread on that jacket too.

Click on over to the Freewheelers thread Dr...

25 minutes ago, Dr_Heech said:

Nice tux, plenty of extra thread on that jacket too.

Anyone got any tips for cutting off the extra thread as it'll do my head in?

Just snip and go?  I don't want the jacket unravelling 😉 

They can do that as long as people will continue to pay those prices. I think they must have a private ‘most gullible customer’ contest running in conjunction with Sonofastag. Happy Easter everyone! 🐣

On 3/29/2024 at 6:21 PM, vIGGiou riou said:

acquisition of the month ....

SC 1947 Black OW + SC 1946 raw

stoked to see how the black evolve. Do you own a 66' from SC? Got the same size?

Fading of black denim is slower than blue one. Think I will start to wear them next January. This year I am due to the Indigo invetional busy with Denime 220...

I have also SC 1966. In size W33. Both cuts are completely different. 66 are generous in top block, while 47 are tighter in waist. 66 are tapered and 47 are loose straight....

3 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

They can do that as long as people will continue to pay those prices. I think they must have a private ‘most gullible customer’ contest running in conjunction with Sonofastag. Happy Easter everyone! 🐣

Of course. What surprises me is that there are enough people who are sufficiently informed to know the kind of details that make such a product appeal, but not sufficiently informed to know that they can get it for less than half that price elsewhere.

They don’t need to be “sufficiently informed to know the kind of details that make such a product appeal,” they just need to be sufficiently well-off and sufficiently disinterested in clothes to see something with a big price tag and assume that since it’s expensive it must be nice

Years ago I remember CC selling Connors tuxes at a similar price. Looked like had one of each size in jeans and jackets. 'Rare denim'. To the rich folk of Fitzrovia (or elsewhere) it must be the ease of purchase and sufficient wealth that makes them cough up this much... or they are completely clueless... or both... given you could get 2.5 tuxes in Japan for them CC London prices

50 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

They don’t need to be “sufficiently informed to know the kind of details that make such a product appeal,” they just need to be sufficiently well-off and sufficiently disinterested in clothes to see something with a big price tag and assume that since it’s expensive it must be nice

I don’t think this is the case. I think they have an idea what they’re buying but somehow don’t realise it’s available much cheaper with a bit of research. I know a couple of people who’ve paid SoaS prices and they’ve been the folks that have got into Japanese denim, etc and assumed that high prices from the handful of shops they were aware of were the norm. I imagine that once they dig a bit deeper and fall into the sort of wormholes we live in, then they may discover the strange world of proxies, Yahoo Auctions and sending Google translated emails to shops like e2nd, etc to take advantage of Japanese domestic prices.

I'm sure there'll be cases like this.

But also would expect cases where people are that well off that they can afford to pay these prices and get instant denim whether they know or don't know they can get a better deal elsewhere

Yea there is definitely a contingent of people who go into the store because of a certain sort of curb appeal and then just pay whatever the price tag is without thinking too hard. They may think “nice jeans” but quite a few don’t really know why they’re nice - at least not in the way that people on this forum really would. And they’ll never care.

At that level of income there are quite a few people who will pay twice the price for a level of convenience anyways. 

I personally fall squarely into the bracket of people who did not know any better so bought from both for a little while (and still would buy some things, and use for hemming etc). Once I realised that there is a whole world of options out there I stopped. They were a gateway I suppose, I imagine a number of people go through the same process.

I have never personally been into either, but I can imagine the customer service being great (it usually has been over email/phone). If you have the level of income that allows you to freely pay 3 x over the odds for something and enjoy the customer service component too then good luck to you, enjoy!

ive bought rising sun in stockholm, mister freedom in copenhagen, fullcount in shanghai — all bad "business" decisions, all caused by a pleasant browsing/buying/customer experience, and despite walking into the stores not expecting to buy anything — but have walked out of soas, cc, and vintage showroom without buying anything even though they had what i wanted (esp. at last/timeworn in vs) because of typical lukewarm/borderline hostile london customer service. (r&h is very welcoming and pleasant, kudos, but they didnt have anything i wanted. did get a nice and super quick hem job from them tho). 

Yes, same here.

I left Unionville many years ago with a number of jeans and flannels. Very friendly guys.
Also at Fein&Ripp and Rider's Room.

I haven't been to SOAS yet. But communication by email was very friendly and helpful.

I always try to buy most stuff from stores located in Sweden (i.e. Second Sunrise and Göteborg Manufaktur), because I want them to exist. It is the same reason I don't buy my books from Amazon. I want to be able to go to a good book store in Stockholm and browse and maybe get recommendations. The prices at CC seems to be steep but I like what they do in their store and the content they are creating on IG etc. I've only been there once but I got great service and they are good at discovering and showcasing different brands.

Edited by lobster_for_lunch
Added Second Sunrise and Göteborg Manufaktur

^ I’m not sure the Amazon example is relevant here. Many of us buying clothes from Japan do so (directly or via a proxy) from brick & mortar shops there, where we can assume staff are paid a fair wage and treated well. We do so because we want to pay a reasonable price for jeans without a mark-up (in the UK at least) that often doubles the Japanese domestic price. This may be caused by higher rents, staff costs, taxes, etc but as a rational economic being, I also want value and don’t have an unlimited budget. I would never pay £600 for a pair of jeans, no matter how courteous the shop staff are or how well-curated their Instagram content is. Remember too, that these shops also conduct a portion of their business online, so is it better to buy online from a domestic retailer rather than directly from Japan?

I do support not buying from Amazon as they pay badly, do not have a great reputation for employee welfare and seek to avoid paying taxes where possible. I also like to support brick and mortar stores, but there is a significant difference between paying £10 for a book in a shop rather than £5 on Amazon compared to paying £350-£400 for a pair of jeans from a UK store rather than £175-£200 via importing from Japan. 

I’m not criticising shops like CC and SoaS but just explaining why I choose to shop elsewhere.

The stores in Sweden that sell japanese denim like Second Sunrise, Meadow and Göteborg Manufaktur all charge very fair prices for the jeans imo, I'd gladly buy from them too to keep them in business. I believe I paid just over €200 each for my TCB and Sugar Cane jeans from Second Sunrise, hemming included, which is very fair imo. 

I remember the outcry when an old generational family-owned candy/fruit-store in my area had to close due to financial reasons, but yet I never saw anyone actually buy from them when they were still around. So I think it's pretty simple, if you want a business to remain: support them. But we are all pretty good at this on this forum probably, buying from small (mainly Japanese) clothing brands instead of fast fashion chains.