SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

I would be copping some Japan blue too hoggy, if they made something more straight. As far as I know they don't make any fits close to a 0201 or 0901. It's a shame as I like what Japan blue is doing in terms of modern and different fabrics. They seem like a great pair of jeans at a good price, and I for one like the blue inseam thread!

I find this a very interesting topic, easily related to most parts of pop culture (and more). The reason I found this forum and started posting was to obtain more knowledge, dwelling further into the denim world with questions like "Where should I go next?" and probably more importantly regarding what we're discussing now: "What is a worthwhile experience in such a vast market?".

Just like in any other part of pop culture you have bench marking, people whom have big influence on what is trending and people following their lead. What I find interesting is that more of the bench marking people on Sufu when I started hanging out here took part in digging in the Unknown japanese brand-thread. Now a lot of those people post more infrequently hence I think we see this more stagnant selection of denim.

If we're talking about solutions then, how can we get people to explore the diversity of quality brands that is actually out there? Some sort of contest? More touring? A diverse brand guide (I quite like this idea)? 

Good discussion H,

If I lost my current denim collection and had to buy jeans from brands that I'd never tried before, my choices would probably be:

- UES

- Left Field

- Endeavor (monkey patch)

- Ande Whall! There's always an exception and those SR12s look wonderful.

EDIT: for the price I'd probably give a pair of Luther's a go too.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

This will probably sound lame but, I've found Instagram has opened my eyes to quite a few brands that were new to me. Westride being one and I'm very happy with the pair that came through a few weeks ago.

Personally when making a decision I just want to see the fading potential (I should probably clarify that doesn't mean crazy contrast fades that probably reek) which Instagram is perfect for. The alternative I suppose is looking through Japanese blogs, although I often end up lost & confused!

I like Bobbo's idea around a contest for unknown brands. Would it get enough takers though?

If we're talking about solutions then, how can we get people to explore the diversity of quality brands that is actually out there? Some sort of contest? More touring? A diverse brand guide (I quite like this idea)? 

Mate, I had to wonder if this was tongue in cheek when I read it. Surely the TCB contest that you and I are a part of is doing exactly what you're describing? The brand began to be discussed in the Unknown Japanese brands thread, with some pioneering members taking the plunge and buying Inoue's jeans. Momentum picked up and Aho and Ed got the contest rolling which in turn has led to TCB getting much more exposure. Quite a few active board members now have at least one TCB piece in their collection (if not jeans, then jackets and chore coats). That's pretty impressive for what is still a tiny brand. Similarly, Ooe gets a fair bit of interest on this board and I'd wager that if you walked into most denim shops in Japan, they still wouldn't have a clue who that company were. Again, a pretty small outfit that people have tried out over the past few years because of some pioneering board members. 

@Bobbo - good question, don't really know whether there is a way of influencing buyer behaviour other than presenting an option that enough established members begin to get enthused over that in turn attracts a wider crowd. But therein is the issue, getting enough enthusiasm. Recent SDA and FH activity are quite a good example, certainly Ben's enthusiasm for FH is impressive work.

The irony of using the example of the Flat Head's recent popularity is of course that TFH were one of the most over-exposed brands on Sufu for years thanks to Sidney Lo and the 3001 cut. Only this time around, people are considering wearing and washing the denim in a significantly different way. It perfectly illustrates how things move in cycles and once a few fades and/or fit pics have been posted, it really piques peoples' interest in a brand. And actually, I think Fullcount and Warehouse are long overdue a little more time in the sun on Sufu! 

Ultimately, I'll wear a pair of jeans not because they are ''interesting'' to me in terms of obscure brand or exotic fabric but rather because the fit works for me and the style I want and that they are in fact regular enough to wear day in, day out for a long period without my enthusiasm waning. It is of course down to personal taste, but the very fact that the fabric of SC 1947s or WH 1001XX is not super impressive upon first handling it is part of the attraction for me. Both pairs are, ahem, ''growers not show-ers'' and yield something special if worn long enough with dedication. There's a reason people gravitate to these jeans beyond which topics on Sufu are garnering the most attention on a given week.

I don't want to seem conceited but for some reason, I honestly think the flat head thread would be dead if I didn't incessantly post to try to keep it chugging along. Kind of blows my mind that more people aren't interested in the shirts and accessories...

For some reason brands like TCB, warehouse, etc just don't do it for me. Maybe one day I'll see the light ;)

Yeh sure and that's fair enough. There is something to be said for old reliable I guess. But in a market that is so saturated... I'd be hard pressed to stick to the same day in day out. I know that's not what you're saying, everyone has a rotation, but where there's one staple it's also in my opinion pretty good to have maybe one something as a wild card as well. 

Brand popularity does fluctuate granted, just as SDA is having a bit of a renaissance now, FC had a lull which picked up again maybe with the Signet special release and it's brought popularity back - that's good. No issues there. I guess all I'm saying is, once you've felt one fabric, once you've faded one pair out, then there's good opportunity to work on something new. I don't think I'd buy anything the same twice*. 

*(says the man who has three pairs of Omnigod.... but in my defence I did overdye one pair black...)

I'll fully concede that I thought the FC I tried superb - actually far more interesting than both the SC 1947 raw and WH 1001xx one wash that I tried, neither of which I was really overwhelmed by truth be told. But if nobody ever showcases something a bit new or individual, no-one else will bother to try and as a result could well be missing out on a new, welcome brand experience.

Pretty hipster of you there hog ;)

Mate, I had to wonder if this was tongue in cheek when I read it. Surely the TCB contest that you and I are a part of is doing exactly what you're describing? The brand began to be discussed in the Unknown Japanese brands thread, with some pioneering members taking the plunge and buying Inoue's jeans. Momentum picked up and Aho and Ed got the contest rolling which in turn has led to TCB getting much more exposure. Quite a few active board members now have at least one TCB piece in their collection (if not jeans, then jackets and chore coats). That's pretty impressive for what is still a tiny brand. Similarly, Ooe gets a fair bit of interest on this board and I'd wager that if you walked into most denim shops in Japan, they still wouldn't have a clue who that company were. Again, a pretty small outfit that people have tried out over the past few years because of some pioneering board members. 

Yeah, how TCB and Ooe blew up is exactly what I'm talking about, it's a great example of how pioneering members finds a small brand and picks our interest. I would love to see that happen even more and I wonder how I/we could contribute for that to happen. 

I like Bobbo's idea around a contest for unknown brands. Would it get enough takers though?

I don't think it would, sadly. I guess it's more likely to work if it would be done as some sort of "friendly contest" like the Osaka5-thread kind of was meant to be used when it was started - a collection and comparison of brands evo in one thread.

Or do another contest for a single small brand like the TCB contest. Maybe kick a Porky's one, haha. 
Edited by Bobbo

^ Devi's and UES provide further examples, whilst some have looked at Denimbridge too. Resolute has also seen a bit of an upsurge in popularity lately. It's important to bear in mind that the initial flurry of brands that are 'discovered' and subsequently 'blown up' on here will naturally tail off after time, so the current rate is likely to be slower than what may have been seen 5 or so years ago.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

A contest always stands and falls with the participants. I also enjoy learning about new little brands, especially when they have something unique in their offering. Mainly a special or unique denim to them.

Remember the Devi’s contest?

A small “brandâ€, a unique contest model completely build for the contest with unique denim and many little nice details…sorry if I offend the participants now but that contest was unfortunately one of the worst. Maybe because the enthusiasm in general cooled down? Because get your favorite Japanese denim is so easy nowadays that most of us have a plethora of jeans?!

I just don’t know. But to mobilize the masses and get a contest with over 50 people seems unlikely nowadays. The Warehouse or Eternal contest were really, really big!

Ok, one mustn’t forget Gavin’s HWDC 1+2 and DWC. But I exclude them as they are “open for allâ€-contest

Perhaps a contest for all unknown brands rather than a specific brand. Unknown is subjective but may be anything without its own dedicated thread (including some that have less than a certain number of pages to allow for Vanishing West, WH Ranch etc) could be the criteria. That's probably over-engineered but you get the gist.

I still think it'd be a struggle.

Edit: realised that's basically what Bobbo just said!

Edited by unders

very interesting talk as of late here lads!

I don't check often this thread but I should.

I'm spending time now looking at my next pair of loose fitting jeans. I know for sure that I would love either a pair of FC 0105 or WH1001 but to be honest the fact that both are a road very well travelled by many here doesn't make them so appealing to me. I keep looking at other brands and will probably end up buying another less known brand. either workers or burgus plus lot 968 (which despite the name is a lovely relaxed straight fit) or deluxeware.

none of them excites me as much as TCB as a brand though.

btw I'd be up for a porkys contest, even more if the choosen model will be the xx.

I wouldn't be interested in a multiple brand contest, no pun intended but personally I don't see a point in multiple brands contests.

Volvo, you are an ideal candidate for Endeavor, please consider these:

http://www.furugiya.net/?cmd=original&PHPSESSID=b979fd385e12368635b97b94bcae1e58

By the way, thanks for the Astorflex desert boot recommendation, I bought a pair a month or two back and love them, wearing them now in fact.

they're great ain't they? I worn enough desert boots for my entire life in my teenager days but everybody around me has a pair of them. no point to buy Clark's originals when there's Astorflex making a much better product at a cheaper price range : )

my wife has three pairs, including a 10+ year pair which we all call "the dead mice" !

Volvo, you are an ideal candidate for Endeavor, please consider these:

http://www.furugiya.net/?cmd=original&PHPSESSID=b979fd385e12368635b97b94bcae1e58

By the way, thanks for the Astorflex desert boot recommendation, I bought a pair a month or two back and love them, wearing them now in fact.

the 6 sizes I tried are sold out...I think all pairs are gone from that source

Where'd you get yours? I'm trying to find a pair online, but UK seller prices seem inflated (or am I just being a tightwad?)

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic