SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

Question for tall guys😀  Which brands make really long leg jeans? Like 36? For somebody who's height 198 cm. Thanks.

On 3/9/2024 at 11:46 AM, Talan said:

Question for tall guys😀  Which brands make really long leg jeans? Like 36? For somebody who's height 198 cm. Thanks.

Drybones does a 36 in inseam.

Besides like Tender and Mr Freedom, who else does less traditional cuts? 

I’m not sure if I want another repro for my next pair

14 hours ago, Ahlvahroe said:

Besides like Tender and Mr Freedom, who else does less traditional cuts? 

I’m not sure if I want another repro for my next pair

I think both examples that you gave are mostly traditional cuts, so maybe you mean not strict repro? Maybe try to give an idea of what you are looking for - slim/wide/tapered/high rise etc, so that we can set you in some direction. 

I’m loving fullcount 0105 these days. It’s still repro styled, I guess, but the cut is more generous than really anything else I’m aware of, but it doesn’t look over the top.

Agreed more specificity is needed. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a good looking pair of jeans that wasn’t a traditional cut (there’s a wide variety).

I guess that’s the best way to put it. Not a strict repro. I’m thinking like a slim straight. The tender 129 was catching my eye but I’m still looking. 

but I’m also looking at other styles too like the carpenter jeans that pherrow’s does look cool too. 

So I’m just spit balling ideas right now. But I don’t want another ‘66 repro. 

On 3/20/2024 at 5:25 AM, Ahlvahroe said:

I guess that’s the best way to put it. Not a strict repro. I’m thinking like a slim straight. 

Not sure if you mean non-repro fabrics also but ONI 246 is a nice cut. I think they call it 'neat straight'.

Available in some great denims too. The low-tension 22oz kabuki selvedge is an absolute treat.

Has anyone come across the webshop womensusfashion dot com? Despite the name they have a lot of items and brands popular here, offered at very low prices. I found it looking for an item that I otherwise only can find in one Japanese shop as it's sold out everywhere else. But this "Fashion Shop" claims to have all sizes in stock and sell it at 70% discount. It seems like it's the same for most if not all products in their shop. They also sell some products marked as used which could explain the low prices but most of it looks like brand new products.

It all seems quite weird. The Contact us page has an Oregon address while the About us page mentions a "corporate office in Montgomery, Alabama". On the Payments page it says that all orders are charged in Singapore dollars.

I checked it on Scamvoid and it wasn't really conclusive but it said that the URL is less than two months old. It's a scam, right?

Edited by claes

Who makes a solid usmc p44 hbt repro? I know buzz made one. 
or is it worth saving up a bit more to just get a vintage one? 

I often read the advice to turn raw jeans inside out during the first soak and the first wash or two afterwards. That is what I've been doing for a while. I wonder if the one-wash versions are turned inside out during initial wash by manufacturers?

What are your preferences for soaking/first wash in this regard? 

20 minutes ago, Talan said:

I often read the advice to turn raw jeans inside out during the first soak and the first wash or two afterwards. That is what I've been doing for a while. I wonder if the one-wash versions are turned inside out during initial wash by manufacturers?

What are your preferences for soaking/first wash in this regard? 

I think it's supposed to reduce indigo loss, I do it out of habit.

My two biggest learnings from first-washing many raw jeans over the years are: 

1) Get the denim wet before you put it in the machine, I run a pair of jeans under the shower until they're wet through then put them in the machine. I don't know why this helps but it does.

2) If you wash the jeans inside out, let them dry fully inside out too before pulling them the right way out. Wrestling them the right way out when soaking wet seems to harshly fold/crease the denim which has led to weird wash lines for me.

Edited by 81FXR

I wash inside out out of habit more than anything. 

IIRC Hayashi San suggests washing without turning inside out to highlight puckering/abrasion on seams and pocket opening etc?

I’ll wash inside out first few times, it goes a long way towards avoiding marbling. For me, most pairs marble somewhat anyways once I go right side out, which I tend to do after the 4th or 5th wash. At that point I’m washing regularly and just not really sweating it - the only real thing is I rarely tumble dry.

If marbling is not a concern, there’s really no other reason to do it IMO - but I tend to prefer the look of a regularly washed pair, even w/ some marbling.  

There’s a big distinction to draw (which I rarely see drawn, for whatever reason) between the sort of large-scale veining / creasing that happens when rigid denim is put through a harsh wash—think rinsed or dyed Tender Co.—and the sort of small-scale marbling that happens over time when tightly woven denim is put through the washer and dryer repeatedly. I think the latter sort of “marbling” is appealing to a lot of folks here, myself included, whereas the former sort of “marbling” is often seen as more unsightly.

Personally, I wash my jeans inside out with low (or no) spin for usually the first half dozen or so washes, until they’re starting to soften up and lighten up appreciably, in order to avoid any big veins. If they’re particularly rigid, I go as far as to get them wet before the first wash. Once they’ve started softening up, anything goes: I think slightly harsher washes help with the good sort of marbling and don’t have any real downsides.

I have always loved all types of marbling and am surprised to see so many people against it! I’m curious if anyone can elaborate on their position a bit more?

for me, I have always loved the way a big “marble” crease imprints itself into the fabric, it’s like the spirit of the fabric fighting through the indigo that’s smothering it… plus it’s usually totally absent in artificially faded jeans but quite common in handmade & naturally dyed fabrics and I feel is a characteristic I strongly associate with the latter. It’s the main reason I love tender’s standard denim so much… it just longs to speak its mind regardless of what the wearer does to it… it’s amazing!!!

Tbh I used to go the inside out rule, but nowadays  I just do it hayashi-san style.

Wash when needed, nothing turned around and what not. In the end the differences are hard to tell and minimal, if even noticeable, imo. 

I think there was someone on reddit doing a test on this a few years ago and the results after 2 years or so were hardly noticeable.

I don’t mind the marbling really it’s the long vertical wash lines you get down random parts of the leg which look bad to me as it’s very clearly a washing mishap and not a naturally formed crease.

IMG_3165.thumb.jpeg.a9e4b7630d6683605e2dd949feeea6dd.jpegI’ve never washed any of my jeans inside out. But I also use the dryer sometimes too. Hahahah 

I like marbling. I like harsh creases. Just wear em hard and wash em often 

Edited by shredwin_206