Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

^cm, In a way, I think you've answered your own question about N&F in the earlier conversation about brand loyalty. 

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to pull a "gotcha!" I do think, however, that N&F gets criticized and mocked because of the way they brand themselves. However legitimate and bona fide the collaborations are, the array of downright zany projects that the company produces steers the brand's image toward the wacky, the ridiculous, and the bizarre. It's not just a matter of the company trying new things or pushing the envelope; the company knows that novelty projects like "hologram" denim or even 32oz denim are lightning rods of attention. Hence, folks around here tend to ignore or actively distance themselves from N&F because of the way it brands itself and calls attention to itself through products that are least like the ones that tend to be appreciated and revered on this forum.  

That makes sense, In the way the branding of Ironheart indicates motorcycle culture naked and famous indicates turd culture.

My (limited) perception of N&F is that it's a low-cost entry brand to the more serious denim world and markets itself as a 'wacky, fun' brand to younger customers (hence the slimmer cuts). The equivalent of a Fisher Price 'my first denimz' toy.

Yeah I decided to put on about 10 more pounds of muscle (mostly legs but some through the chest and shoulder) and some of my already on-the-fence shirts are starting to be a bit impossible to wear; namely my sz 36 TFH flannel (which I couldn't close but it looked nice open, now it rides really far up my pits) and my TSG flannel.  I'm nervous my TFH Wabash is next to go.

On the other side, it's not very motivating to lose weight when you know that you won't be able to fit your jeans anymore. If you've never had experience losing weight, it's basically impossible to tell what size you'll be at. You can estimate it though by thinking about how disciplined you are with your food intake.

Recently just lost about 4 inches in my belly in total. I was thinking 3 inches would be pushing it but i got to 4 with no sweat. Now my jeans are just about an inch too big. I guess that's why we use belts.

I outgrew three pairs of jeans in the last year just from starting to climb and ride my bike more regularly... my waist didn't change at all, just thighs... all I've been able to keep have been the jeans I used to think were really loosely cut, like my Red Clouds, which used to fit pretty baggy on me but are now the tightest-fitting pair I own.

I guess the distinction could come in whether someone's outgrown their jeans in the thighs or at the waist.

The pains of weight lifting. Them deadlifts and squats. I did a complete switch over from slim fits to straight (taper) fits. Oddly enough I can still fit into most of my tops though the shoulders and chest are tight. I swear I'm not a T-rex.

People around here are too hard on N&F.

My body size/shape hasn't changed the slightest bit in a decade, although I think exercise has made me a little more toned? I'm an extreme hard gainer, it seems like it'd be almost impossible for me to get big enough to outgrow any of my clothes. But I'm just trying to be healthy, not aiming to become totally ripped. 

Random: Why do people say they're "out-growing" their jeans/shirts? Unless you're still going through puberty, you just got fat. No euphemisms needed...

Or they bought the wrong size (read too small.. got even smaller after washing) clothes in the first place

Yea, I've gained close to 30 lbs since I was 25, I haven't really hit the weights hard, and I'm probably no "fatter" than I was when I was 25. I think it's natural for men to fill out all over once they reach their late 20s / early 30s. Call it a second puberty.

Also when I lost my hair...

Agreed. I was a bit puny before so think it's better for me (other than the slight beer belly I need to get rid of).

I'm doing squats as well now - need to make sure I don't go so heavy that my legs outgrow my jeans ;D

Yeah, that's probably the reason, but it still seems fishy to me.

I mean, isn't it the shop's responsibility to correctly mark the packaging for international shipments? Given the customer full control over that seems very weird (you can actually describe the item, determine value, etc.) and I don't think it would fly when someone at customs called up Denimio and they simply replied "Well, we let our customers write whatever they want on the invoice..."

Yeah, that's probably the reason, but it still seems fishy to me.

I mean, isn't it the shop's responsibility to correctly mark the packaging for international shipments? Given the customer full control over that seems very weird (you can actually describe the item, determine value, etc.) and I don't think it would fly when someone at customs called up Denimio and they simply replied "Well, we let our customers write whatever they want on the invoice..."

And I don't see how it would possibly get them any deniability.  They know how much the bill was, they know how much they sold the jeans for so how would they suddenly go "The customer told is it was only $28!" if the law questions it?

The point being that Denimio could simply hang up the phone and no foreign customs official would have any authority to do anything to them at all. If Japanese customs aren't interested then it doesn't matter (from their point of view) what the declared value is, therefore it makes sense to do what they have done as every country has different thresholds for "declared value" goods. It just allows the customer to tailor their declared value to their own countries individual limits.

Edited by Megatron1505

The point being that Denimio could simply hang up the phone and no foreign customs official would have any authority to do anything to them at all. If Japanese customs aren't interested then it doesn't matter (from their point of view) what the declared value is, therefore it makes sense to do what they have done as every country has different thresholds for "declared value" goods. It just allows the customer to tailor their declared value to their own countries individual limits.

Not that I think importing jeans at a below-cost marking will be a big enough problem but couldn't the foreign country just stop accepting imports from Japan until the Japanese customs actually pursues the matter?  As I've said before the idea of intentionally and knowingly marking an item at a lower cost to skirt customs, to me, feels like a scummy thing to do.