Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

do you happen to be a gold digger, cowboy or moviestar like brando?

otherwise i don't see how you could honestly wear jeans....

Come on, jeans became a casual wear item before my parents were born. 

It could be two sides of the same coin. If you consider all denim casual wear, each brand still has its own aesthetic. The IH aesthetic doesn't do it for me because I ain't no tough guy and I don't ride motorbikes.

It could be two sides of the same coin. If you consider all denim casual wear, each brand still has its own aesthetic. The IH aesthetic doesn't do it for me because I ain't no tough guy and I don't ride motorbikes.

Then again, IH doesn't scream motorbikes and tough guys when you just look at the jeans themselves. The branding does.

Same with the flat head. I love the jeans but I'm no rockabilly greaser.

Then again, IH doesn't scream motorbikes and tough guys when you just look at the jeans themselves. The branding does.

i am not a particular tough guy either, or at least i don't look like the tough lava pissing guy who rapes your soul just for looking wrong at him.

and the branding doesn't really scream bikers and muscles, now with Triple Works integrated Iron Heart is a brand appealing to a huge and diverse audience. kinda mainstream.

i get your point, but once i had a talk to a guy telling me TFH jeans were too rockabilly.... it's ridiculous, i just had to laugh.

in the 21st century all that stuff is casual clothing, lifestyle clothing, etc. i won't look bad at a guy for wearing a J-100 but not owning a bike. the same goes with engineer boots, or steel toed boots for an office worker....

Edited by Blue Nemo

I'm wondering what's Rockabilly about FH?  Maybe some of the shirts, but IMO the 3005 is their only jean that could be described as "Rockabilly".  

FYI, my experience at Viva Las Vegas and couple other Rockabilly weekenders, most of the guys just buy STF 501s.  The majority don't invest as much in their denim as they do in the rest of their wardrobe.  

I'm wondering what's Rockabilly about FH?  Maybe some of the shirts, but IMO the 3005 is their only jean that could be described as "Rockabilly".  

FYI, my experience at Viva Las Vegas and couple other Rockabilly weekenders, most of the guys just buy STF 501s.  The majority don't invest as much in their denim as they do in the rest of their wardrobe.  

I was referring to the branding mainly. Look at their banners, advertisements, but i guess its more "50's America"EqTMgUe.jpg

6oY3HTz.jpg

sQ5PlXj.jpg

50's America is definitely it. The thing with Flat Head is even just completely staying within the family of brands, you could really have a lot of different "looks." 

For instance, I just bought a discharge-dyed native print western shirt. More cowboy than rockabilly to me...

To me Flat head's thing is just the highest quality "normal" looking clothing, if you know which stuff to get... 

Edited by itsbenhere

Personally I think Strike Gold is the most consistent on terms of quality.  My gripe with them is the fits since they are averse to shoulders.  SDA and IH are both really good "normal" looking clothes as long as you avoid some of SDA's weirder prints.  Samurai usually leaves me wanting a bit.  But I think it also comes down to the item.  Like I prefer Strike Gold sweats to Flat Head.  I don't really care for how TFH sews the pieces together on where it is "puckered" (lack of a better term) and I like how SDA and TSG sew them flat.  I think Flat Head is uncontested when it comes to work shirts and their flannels work best for me as well.  For jeans there is a ton of different options and it comes down mostly to opinion.

I want to know what the general consensus is on shirts and top buttons. Do you wear the top button open or closed?

When I wear a shirt with a button down collar I always have it open but when wearing a collar without button down, chambray, workshirts etc I can never decide which way to go. Even if I feel like it looks better done up I feel a hipster doing so yet some shirts collars feel a bit "70's" floppy and long when left open....

Thoughts?

My neck is a tree trunk so it is physically impossible unless they have that extra fabric extension on the neck.  But I wouldn't do it regardless.  But I know some people like the look.  I think it looks alright if you're a tall skinny dude.

My neck is a tree trunk so it is physically impossible unless they have that extra fabric extension on the neck.  But I wouldn't do it regardless.  But I know some people like the look.  I think it looks alright if you're a tall skinny dude.

I have the same problem coupled with being short.  Not like, I'm only 5'5" short but Prince height short.  Which is too bad because I actually like the buttoned up look.

My neck is a tree trunk so it is physically impossible...

My issue too. Besides that, I never button the top button unless I'm wearing a tie. 

Button down collars suck. Can't stand them. One of the worst details in men's clothing ever. About the only thing worse is a button at the center back of the collar. 

In 2002 I bought 2 pairs of selvedge Edwin Waynesvilles from Interstate in London. These were my gateway back to selvedge and into Japanese denim (the 'villes range was still made in Japan then). I no longer have them but I have another pair of Waynesvilles I bought in 2004 (from the 2003 production run).

First pair was Edwin Nashville in 1999, also from Interstate. Hooked ever since.

Also not a fan of Iron Heart. Jeans are OK, but I don't like the arcs. The shirts look really nicely made, but they're just not my style. 

I love a button down collar, can't go wrong with one. Still on the fence with the buttoned top button, Im a slim guy and feel some of my shirts look better done up but can't shake that hipster feeling. Maybe I'm just over thinking it.

I love a button down collar, can't go wrong with one. Still on the fence with the buttoned top button, Im a slim guy and feel some of my shirts look better done up but can't shake that hipster feeling. Maybe I'm just over thinking it.

Just tell people you do it to hide your neck tattoos.

Wait, hipsters have those now too. Is there anything they can't ruin?