Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

I have the same feeling. Lots of brands even do collab with denim boutique here, and some local brands here even make special run fabrics and collab with Japanese mills and brands. Although it is still in the minority, but everyone is kinda starting to look the same now on the street of Bangkok (selvedge denim, either workboots/converse, long wallet, heavy belt and T shirt).

the event seems awesome, too bad i got bogged down with work over the weekend and didn't make it in the end. 

i am by all means not against the flow of the indigo stream here in Bangkok (and Thailand in general). people can wear whatever they want to wear. But really while there are lots of people who are 'into' denim and boots and workwear, they are not 'into' these garments the same way the general population of Sufu is. What i mean is for most of them this is merely 'the next thing' in street fashion, much in the same way baggy jeans or surf wear were on-the-trend in the 90's and early 2000s. a general dive into some famous Thai denim forum reveals this well: all showy and no real substance. no talks about nuances and philosophical vexing about denim, garment and/or lifestyle, just people wearing jeans to get sick fades and show off their $$$ cop. the skewed popularity of a few certain brands really show this: these are the 'greatest' brands promoted and people just wouldn't look twice into other brands (mind you, they are great brands and i love them all), they don't tend to diverge from the norm, and even if i risk a negative rep i dare say most do not have a sense of putting the pieces together and make the sum greater than the whole. 

Mind you, there are truly passionate people who are really into this game for real and i have met a few of them, just that on the whole i think the kind of community being brewed up here isn't the kind of community you find in the western hemisphere or in japan. 

the event seems awesome, too bad i got bogged down with work over the weekend and didn't make it in the end. 

i am by all means not against the flow of the indigo stream here in Bangkok (and Thailand in general). people can wear whatever they want to wear. But really while there are lots of people who are 'into' denim and boots and workwear, they are not 'into' these garments the same way the general population of Sufu is. What i mean is for most of them this is merely 'the next thing' in street fashion, much in the same way baggy jeans or surf wear were on-the-trend in the 90's and early 2000s. a general dive into some famous Thai denim forum reveals this well: all showy and no real substance. no talks about nuances and philosophical vexing about denim, garment and/or lifestyle, just people wearing jeans to get sick fades and show off their $$$ cop. the skewed popularity of a few certain brands really show this: these are the 'greatest' brands promoted and people just wouldn't look twice into other brands (mind you, they are great brands and i love them all), they don't tend to diverge from the norm, and even if i risk a negative rep i dare say most do not have a sense of putting the pieces together and make the sum greater than the whole. 

Mind you, there are truly passionate people who are really into this game for real and i have met a few of them, just that on the whole i think the kind of community being brewed up here isn't the kind of community you find in the western hemisphere or in japan. 

I completely agree. Any community is going to have their "uniform" If you go on reddit "fashion advice" threads you'll see the same outfits repeated and highly praised even though its generic and just copied. Same goes with those who get into raw denim then decide they want raw everything and eventually seem to ONLY wear Raw denim work shirt, jacket, indigo dyed accessories, raw denim, boots.

Same goes with those who get into raw denim then decide they want raw everything and eventually seem to ONLY wear Raw denim work shirt, jacket, indigo dyed accessories, raw denim, boots.

Stuff like that makes me cringe. I mean I love indigo as much as the next guy, but I hate seeing people make it a challenge lol

I'm looking at YOU, Mr Freedom:

dmRWzCj.jpg

Stuff like that makes me cringe. I mean I love indigo as much as the next guy, but I hate seeing people make it a challenge lol

I'm looking at YOU, Mr Freedom:

dmRWzCj.jpg

EW

Maybe its just me but i dont want indigo dyed socks, t shirts because i dont want to become a smurf....

No problem with indigo tees, I have a few and they look nice.

But I tried the indigo socks thing and I guess it's just not my thing.

I don't like coming home, taking my socks off only to see my feet looking like I just smashed some blueberries with 'em.

I'm regretting those indigo Samurai socks a bit. I'm hoping they don't continuously Smurfify my toes.

Speaking of random gripes: I'm always annoyed by people who buy denim jackets that are one (or two) sizes too small, to the point that they can't close the jacket. I just don't get this look.

Edited by Iron Horse

Personally, as long as the rest of the jacket doesn't look too tight, I don't see too much wrong with it. If it at least looks like it could close that's good with me, I never ever wear my denim jacket closed...

Edited by itsbenhere

Personally, as long as the rest of the jacket looks too tight, I don't see too much wrong with it. If it at least looks like it could close that's good with me, I never ever wear my denim jacket closed...

This. Unless I'm walking into a breeze I'll do the middle button up. Might be different if I had a pair of ducks, to break up the denim. but feel it's a bit too much denim otherwise.

That looks perfect on him.

What I was saying is that I feel it's better to buy a jacket that has more proportions right (especially if only width in a denim jacket is too small), than sizing up so that you could wear it closed (which imo doesn't look good if it fits or not) and having the shoulders, sleeves, and length too long as a result.

i am seriously in love with this thread, yay!

a point often overlooked in sizing unsanforized denim: in my experience the waist always stretch back to almost or beyond pre soak measurement, something in which not a lot of people take into consideration and out of all denim boutique only selfedge seems to acknowledge it. 

i am not so sure that I'd like to support that statement. especially that Kiya stated in his latest interview the direct opposite.

for example, my Denime 66 have now after 120 days and 11 washes not stretched back to its pre soak measurements. at first i though i'd bought a size too big, but now i think it was the perfect size, especially that i would have ruined the 60's cut of the jeans by sizing down further.

this is not a general statement that works with every denim/jean. I know that FC and WH also tend to stretch over raw, then again SDA seems not too. after all, if you buy a jean one size too small, it easily tends to stretch back out more than it maybe should do.

well, yes, in my experience if you get unsanforized jeans that are an inch to big and they shrink down to your size, they tend to not stretch much anymore, but of you get the same jeans that are TTS before soak, then after soak and some wear they will stretch back to pre-soak measurement and even beyond. So, as far as waist is concerned, they can stretch a lot no matter the fabric (at least in my experience with about 10 pairs of unsanforized fabric), but if you size correctly they tend to not stretch much. other measurements, especially the thigh, curiously do not stretch back to pre-soak measurement. 

i have not read the latest Kiya interview, but on selfedge website in the description of all cotton jeans he always says that they will stretch up to an inch with some wear, whether sanforized or unsanforized, which is true in my experience. 

Edited by DhaDha

well, yes, in my experience if you get unsanforized jeans that are an inch to big and they shrink down to your size, they tend to not stretch much anymore, but of you get the same jeans that are TTS before soak, then after soak and some wear they will stretch back to pre-soak measurement and even beyond. So, as far as waist is concerned, they can stretch a lot no matter the fabric (at least in my experience with about 10 pairs of unsanforized fabric), but if you size correctly they tend to not stretch much. other measurements, especially the thigh, curiously do not stretch back to pre-soak measurement. 

i have not read the latest Kiya interview, but on selfedge website in the description of all cotton jeans he always says that they will stretch up to an inch with some wear, whether sanforized or unsanforized, which is true in my experience. 

For me if i go an inch up in size on the waist on unsanforized they invariably stretch out to be an inch too big in the end. I am sure it can be different with certain denims but I have had better results with buying pairs that fit in the waist the way I want them pre-soak. I imagine this is partly do to the fact I have a bit of a belly and my jeans get more stress placed on them when I sit then the skinnier folk here. 

I came home today to find my new maid ironing my jeans. She's on her final warning now.

Haha I can't help but laugh knowing we're here lamenting your maid ironing your $300 jeans.  It is like the most first world of first world problems.

But seriously I'd fire her