Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Yeah but nobody cares. We're not importing steel by the shipping container here ;)

More on topic, I don't think local customs offices would ever call a shop halfway around the earth to pursue a fishy shipment slip. And Denimio uses Fedex anyways, Fedex does the customs process themselves, pays any fees and then bills the customer directly if applicable, and I guess they'll care even less :D

It's not scummy...it's illegal :D

While I'm not necessarily one to just go "Its illegal I can't do it" to things (especially victimless things) but in this case its a government service you're knowingly side stepping.  These things are in place for a reason and staffed by people that need to get paid.  Like if there was a way of getting license plats for my car at $0 (obviously via illegal channels) I'd still pony up the cash because the roads I use to drive the car need to be maintained.  IDK its this mentality of "If I can possibly save money at all I will" that doesn't really jive with me since it is such a me-first action in so many cases.

With regards to the whole denim reflects the way you live and all, I just can't stand it if it looks ugly. If I accidentally get sharpie on my jeans, or end up getting really bad streaks on the fabric, I won't chalk it up to wabi-sabi. I just probably won't wear them. All I want is a nice pair of jeans.

Has anybody here tried (sucessful) to achieve completely different fading charcteristics on his pair by changing the washing / wearing routine? I feel like most pairs turn out pretty similar, no matter what I try to to different.

I am trying this with my Oni's, washing them a lot more than any other pair of raws i have had. At the moment it is just giving me a all over faded look. The usual whiskers are there just not so pronounced. 

With regards to the whole denim reflects the way you live and all, I just can't stand it if it looks ugly. If I accidentally get sharpie on my jeans, or end up getting really bad streaks on the fabric, I won't chalk it up to wabi-sabi. I just probably won't wear them. All I want is a nice pair of jeans.

This is how I feel about phone fades.

Yep, back pocket or in a jacket pocket (and 9 months a year around here you can get away with some sort of jacket).  I think the front pocket phone fade looks horrible, especially when combined with a rarely washed, low rise, tight thigh, narrow ankle skinny cut.  Throw in stacks plus cuff, and you've hit on all kinds of bad.  

I find the front pocket the most convenient place to store my phone so I just keep it there

This.

It's where I carry my phone most often so phone fade just happens same with my wallet fade. What really bugs me is people putting something in a pocket just to produce a fade, especially if it's an item you wouldn't normally carry.

I guess I'm lucky in that my iPhone 5 (naked) fits into the coin pocket of both my Sugar Cane and Pherrow's jeans. My hickory stripe pants have a side pocket for a phone, and with my chinos I go back pocket.

I don't want to upgrade the phone because then it would be too big for this. I'm considering stocking up on unused iPhone 5's for continued future use, well into 8-track, Betamax, and powdered wig territory.

From time to time I read old threads and it’s always funny to read about the “problems“ we guys had back then.

For example when more and more people tried out the Japanese repro brands in 2007-2009 one of the biggest fears was the dreaded “hip flare†:D

Especially all those guys coming from APC or Nudies.

I guess I'm lucky in that my iPhone 5 (naked) fits into the coin pocket of both my Sugar Cane and Pherrow's jeans. My hickory stripe pants have a side pocket for a phone, and with my chinos I go back pocket.

I don't want to upgrade the phone because then it would be too big for this. I'm considering stocking up on unused iPhone 5's for continued future use, well into 8-track, Betamax, and powdered wig territory.

A driving force behind me getting rid of my iPhone5 was that thing was an absolute eater of denim.  The edges aren't round so it would eventually just wear away at the denim like a knife.  Pocket bags would be worn through in weeks and the actual denim in a few months.  After about 3 months I had to reinforce the areas where the phone put pressure on the denim.  Luckily the Galaxy6 is rounded (I think the iPhone6 as well) and that doesn't seem to cause the problem.