Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

17 hours ago, Broark said:

Headed up to Portland at the end of February, anyone got recommendations? Would be much appreciated!

For denim we have Self Edge of course and somewhat relatedly Ship John, though I do not know if they have store hours right now. First Timbers match of the season is Feb 26th if that happens to work or a Blazers game.  In town, Forest Park & Mt Tabor are nice for walking around. Out of town, Multnomah Falls is usually the go to light hike. There are also the rose garden, Chinese Garden, and Japanese Gardens. If you want to see how our attempt at Texas BBQ compares, Matt's BBQ or BBQ Tacos are my favorite in town. We have a ton of great pizza options, my favorite being Apizza Scholls (to go only right now.) Scotty's if you want it by the slice. Our Thai scene is also strong, with Eem being a stand out, though their sister restaurant Hat Yai might be my actual favorite. Nong's is also a must try Portland classic. We have tons of great fried chicken, with Reel 'em Inn being a pretty one of a kind option or Yonder for something a little more highbrow. Lately the smash burger has taken over and I've liked all the ones I've tried, most recently SureShot, but Mid City, Monster Smash (vegan option available,) and Hit the Spot (no longer technically a smash burger) are all great as well. Canard is doing the White Castle style steam burger to perfection as well. Malka is one of my favorite restaurants also (to go only right now.) Salt and Straw is a bit of a tourist trap, but also has great ice cream so might still be worth a trip. Hollywood Theater is always running interesting movies, sometimes in 70mm. Don't know of any live music around then, but I like Mississippi Studios, Doug Fir Lounge, and Revolution Hall if any artists you are interested in happen to be visiting at the same time. Portland breweries I like best are Breakside, Baerlic, Upright, and Wayfinder. Lardo usually has a great tap list of assorted local beers and a hard to beat happy hour price point 3-6pm daily last I checked. For cocktails, Expatriate (must get the nachos as well) and Hale Pele. Scotch Lodge or Multnomah Whiskey Library are great too. Outside of town there are tons of great wineries you can visit, but in town Davenport and Dame have great lists as well. If there is anything specifically you are looking for that I have not covered already, let me know. 

Na! I've never even tried Mike.. I'm not that ballsy
I could 360 a BMX or MTB but i can't flip, that crazy type BMX'ing has only come about since indoor ramps introduced foam pits.. a rider will cane a trick over and over into foam till they've nailed the rotation... only then will they try and land it on the ramp. My local track was outdoor gravel and painfull, i've never even rode indoor.

How's it going anyway? did you ever get paid by the BBC?

8 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:
Na! I've never even tried Mike.. I'm not that ballsy
I could 360 a BMX or MTB but i can't flip, that crazy type BMX'ing has only come about since indoor ramps introduced foam pits.. a rider will cane a trick over and over into foam till they've nailed the rotation... only then will they try and land it on the ramp. My local track was outdoor gravel and painfull, i've never even rode indoor.

How's it going anyway? did you ever get paid by the BBC?

Been working way too much in the last 6 months, today was the first time back to the mines since my 6 month work storm, I managed to lose my footing on a small slope and fall off a 5 foot ledge- came down on my bad right shoulder and Farked it up all over again…aside from everything I just listed, at least I’m making $ again from work.

Got paid my 150 pounds, thought about retirement, but decided against it in the end.

been a while since I lost time lurking the sufu, this thread makes it seem like a nice place these days

On 1/28/2022 at 1:17 AM, Thanks_M8 said:

^ exactly! Dying would probably happen before the extrusion of the sludge afaik, since it's harder to dye artificial and semi artificial fibers, since they don't soak up color as well.

the feel is probably similar to tencel and so in, soft and a bit silky maybe. but am no expert on this field.

you could look up the tencel process to find out the solvents used ;) many of the processes are quite similar afaik.

late to this conversation

There is some cool science going on with sustainable textile reuse, I encourage my students to take Science if they are serious about going on to study Textiles or Fashion at Uni. I was at a sustainable fashion thing a couple of years ago and one of the scientists was working with E.coli to strip colour from polyesters to turn it back into a neutral colour.

When I'm teaching and talking about spider goats and bulletproof fabric my students usually roll their eyes and ask what dystopian fiction I'm reading.

And someone mentioned cashing in rep points? yes please. Need money for BYBORRE miffy collection.

As it’s my birthday, I just had a wicked lunch with the TOWIE crowd at the latest Instagram friendly restaurant in London. Afterwards we all took the piss out of some 30+ yr old ancient geezer for wearing socks, then Jonny Epping pushed him under one of our stretch hummers for a laugh. We are the KINGS OF LONDON and tonight we’re doing cocktails and lines at the Sugarhut in Brentwood. Feeling a bit f@cked already, so need a livener.