Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Clinch boots mast trainer 

IMG_4562.thumb.JPG.8c6316a21f1d59e26a1ca1aeba0e968a.JPG

IMG_4563.thumb.JPG.67469d939c3f94527de3ed7fa56d19a8.JPG

I am a us9.5 D width in petty much all heritage boots brands, initially plan to go up haft size but the shop sold their only pair of 10d,

IMG_4568.thumb.JPG.5dd1b882268c0b35701dbc313d3c6c7d.JPG

fortunately 9.5 work out just fine.

snug fit on the front feet and heel,can still be lace up tight for the “curve” look without any instep discomfort.

IMG_4566.thumb.JPG.dfc7d497ecf01b4bfd00094faa20e665.JPG

IMG_4567.thumb.JPG.72ef4476d4e2c8a7f42ce7cd8cb22790.JPG

White's Semi-Dress in classic Brown Dress finish arrived a couple of days ago. The shipping to Ukraine is currently quite time-consuming, and yet it took about a month from UK, very fast as for me, and right to the New-Year's Eve. The main difficulty occurred on the day of local delivery -- the city was plunged into a total blackout in the morning due to a Russian missile attack, and the post office was closed. Nevertheless, I managed to pick up the parcel in the afternoon. 

s.thumb.jpg.1cf5a97a652024c94cf27d860c4b64e5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just gave them a condition and clean.  This Collonil 1909 stuff is amazing! The Chromexcel leather really ate it up.  The Bick5 is for inside cleaning of the boot. Collonil goat hair brush.

475ACF5E-9CB0-4EA2-A7A1-F4FD6CE57ABC.jpeg

92E56C24-28CC-45B9-B479-74C970CCCE97.jpeg

Edited by mlwdp

These might not be everyone's cup of tea but I think the project seems pretty cool: https://andrewturriff.com/
Small operation making some functional outdoor shoes, I like the style but would prefer the finished product to be monotone as opposed to having multiple leathers.
If you're interested sign up for the newsletter, he doesn't send out too many updates (so it's not spammy at all) but when he does it's detailed and actually informative.
PXL_20230106_171230603.jpg?format=1500w
PXL_20221118_123851576.PORTRAIT.jpg?form
site+photo+laceto+toe.jpg?format=1500w
PXL_20221118_160848284.PORTRAIT.jpg?form

I’ve been looking forward to these. As of the last update, it looked like he was in the process of trying to find the right factory for a first production run. If they end up being made in NA, I’ll probably try a pair. Personally, I like the two-tone look.

Those are interesting and I sort of like them on aesthetics, but I can’t place where they’d actually be used. They seem a little in between it all and I can’t see them supplanting anything functional I use.

But I always struggle with attempts to dress up casual - for instance, I’m not one for the sport coat and jeans look. I feel if you’re going to dress up it’s best to commit and if not then often there are more practical options. 

I think they're just intended to be casual knock around shoes that hold up well.
Right now I wear Blundstones for that kind of stuff in the fall / winter here, but I'd like a low cut option and something more durable / well made.
I haven't done much research, but similar shoes seem to be plastered with ugly branding or are not made particularly well.

That hasn’t really been my read at all. The way he’s described them has seemed more centered around the desire for shoes made from good materials w/ traditional construction processes that are lighter and more flexible than a standard welted, shanked boot or shoe. I’ve gotten the impression that they’re designed with walking / hiking in mind: clearly they’re not the best optimized for it overall, but for folks interested in leather shoes with a nice aesthetic and the ability to be resoled, they might well be in the running. If you want casual knock-around shoes, you’ve already got plenty of good options.

5 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Maybe a wee bit of sales patter by calling them functional (and rugged) tho …

Maybe so—but if you compare them to the sorts of heavy old-school boots that many here (myself included) walk around in, they’re certainly functional, and if you compare them to sneakers or trail runners they begin to look pretty rugged—and I think that’s the middle-ground they seem to be aiming for

46 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

Maybe so—but if you compare them to the sorts of heavy old-school boots that many here (myself included) walk around in, they’re certainly functional, and if you compare them to sneakers or trail runners they begin to look pretty rugged—and I think that’s the middle-ground they seem to be aiming for

That’s what I meant about sales patter … if you compare them to something else then you’ll find an answer.

He calls them functional outdoor footwear - then he goes on to describe them as rugged without telling you specifically the materials and creates a design that has more panels than a Georgian drawing room … every stitch is a waterway … but fortunately they have a gusseted tongue to compensate that :laugh2:

I jest - like I said I quite like the style and I’m sure they can be used outdoors … I tend to wear my approach shoes if I want ‘functionality’ without the weight of boots or the flimsy nature of sneakers. These remind me of a 70s approach shoe - if there ever was such a thing.

My main uses and main shoes:

Contemporary hiking boots (for challenging hikes)

Minimalist trail running shoes (for easier hikes or better weather, for running of all sorts, for training of all sorts, and old ones for gardening/outdoor work)

Skate shoes (used to be for skateboarding and everything else, now just general walking/beater shoes - also will use them for outdoor work)

Leather boots (any time I want to the jeans to look a little nicer/on the job footwear) 

Blundstones (inclement weather/winter walking/outdoor stuff - I do not like the look of them but these are purely functional)

Birks - when I am lazy/kicking around the house/can't tie shoes because running after toddler

Actual dress shoes - obvious use - when I need to, and nothing else suffices

I guess the aforementioned shoe falls somewhere in between the skate shoe (not that they'd work for skating - just that they're generally casual like a pair of standard cons or nike blazers etc) and the leather boots for me, but they it sort of looks like an attempt to get a skate shoe in a country club - that mix is what I'm struggling with. Can't see where I'd prefer these over the skate shoe or the leather boot - definitely would not hike in them given the other options...unless I were cast in a Wes Anderson flick. I am sure they do okayish on the trail but the likely cost for that sort of use is probably pushing it for me personally. Again I do sort of like the look, and I hope it's a success. 

Edited by AlientoyWorkmachine

@AlientoyWorkmachine Interested in where you’ve landed for minimalist trail runners. I don’t have anything like that, these days. I had two pairs of Sportivas a while back that I loved, but when I try and look at the options now they’re all pretty overwhelming, and an easy minimalist option would be nice.

6 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

@AlientoyWorkmachine Interested in where you’ve landed for minimalist trail runners. I don’t have anything like that, these days. I had two pairs of Sportivas a while back that I loved, but when I try and look at the options now they’re all pretty overwhelming, and an easy minimalist option would be nice.

I've worn Merrell trail glove and vapor gloves (or whatever iteration) for over a decade now. They're usually pretty ugly so if I find a black/grey version on sale sometimes I'll buy a few. I run a lot less and lift/bike/row more these days so my current pairs are each going into their fourth year...probably need to replace this year. I've heard complaints about their durability but I'm just not a very big person (145 lbs on a good day) and I have an even enough tread the way I walk and run, so that's never been an issue for me. The trail gloves are perfect for even longer day hikes without much load, to me. They just can get dicey if things are really muddy. The NB minimus would be my second choice probably - but I know there are a lot of options like Altra, Xero, Vivo etc - I just never ventured out because the Merrell's worked nicely for me and nothing actually looked better. 

23 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

a design that has more panels than a Georgian drawing room

Haha! I love this 

They look like something a senior middle class gent would wear in an effort to look sporty casual. A definite no from me. They remind me of a less attractive pair of Campers.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

On 1/19/2023 at 5:49 PM, Broark said:

These might not be everyone's cup of tea but I think the project seems pretty cool: https://andrewturriff.com/
Small operation making some functional outdoor shoes, I like the style but would prefer the finished product to be monotone as opposed to having multiple leathers.
If you're interested sign up for the newsletter, he doesn't send out too many updates (so it's not spammy at all) but when he does it's detailed and actually informative.

PXL_20221118_123851576.PORTRAIT.jpg?form

Thanks for posting these, I'll keeping an eye out for them.

I think Sachs and his crew should be in something like the above rather than the Nike trainers :laugh:

1.jpg

2 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Haha! I love this 

They look like something a senior middle class gent would wear in ab effort to look sporty casual. A definite no from me. They remind me of a less attractive pair of Campers.

Lol... now that's a tough feat (accidental pun)

image.png.e5e333499846c595f3bf640f8a1c3187.png

Aren't all outdoor footwear functional (assuming they can be worn) to some extent?  Such a broad statement I'm not even inclined to scratch the surface.  No ten from Len this time.

Edited by MJF9