Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

10 hours ago, MJF9 said:

Tend to agree b_F... not sure how a quite stout boot will work with your Denime and Resolute collection

In my head they work good with Resolute but not so sure about Denime because for me Denime is more Americana while Resolute is more stylish.

@willi I often looked at the Islay and Ive seen a shop having 30% off right now. For me they are even more stylish/refined than the Trickers so one step more in the "wrong direction" and they are quite close to my Paul Sargent Cambridge. 

On 11/24/2023 at 8:11 AM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Yay or nay?

2_1ae8eab4-8ad0-4bca-b18a-7c45c2fd6f3f_7

Not sure if will fit into my general style...

I'd pass on them as well. For about the same price, you could get Indy boots from Alden or shell cordovan (Porter) boots from Rancourt. For half the price, you could get non-shell (Byron) boots from Rancourt. Any of those would match a range of Americana stylings and probably would mesh better with your denim collection than the more Euro brogued Trickers. Rancourt ships internationally (not sure about Alden) and their customer service is very helpful on sizing advice, on par with TCB in my opinion. They also have a pre-sale once or twice a year, where a lot of their shoes and boots are >50% for delayed manufacturing and shipment, a la TCB. Their loafers and Mocs are great as well, although clearly a different vibe than boots.

35 minutes ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Too late :D

Ordered them. For 250£ I couldn't really say no...

Ignore the naysayers T, I think they’ll go well with your casual style, I wore my Alfred Sargent Dumfries (they must be 11 or 12 years old now) to the pub last night. You can’t go wrong with classic English brogue boots.

At that price, those are a pretty good deal. At the end of the day, broguing aside, they’re not much different in design than Allen Edmonds or Alden Indy boots which both fit perfectly well with denim. AE even sells brogues boots IIRC, so they definitely have a place in the Ivy denim canon.  You’ll not find Indys at that price point even used either and these are probably much easier to obtain in Europe

12 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

^^ Anyone who looks at broguing and thinks dress shoes probably isn’t worth paying much mind, when it comes to style…

Exactly so

Refer Kingsman et al 🤨

Anyway, my tuppenceworth - Trickers are as good as it gets at this price point. I’ve went through a pile of different makers in my life and they have never disappointed. 

Edited by Duke Mantee

On 11/25/2023 at 8:17 AM, Duke Mantee said:

Then it’s a no from me - it’s likely CF Stead kudu which is beautiful, but on a brogue I don’t think you get to appreciate the variation over the leather.

I get it but I think the shaft and heel has enough untouched area to show the scars and variations. 

And yeah, like I wrote at 250£ it was hard to pass them. And they are certainly more "rugged" then the Paul Sargent with the chiseled toe.

33 minutes ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

I get it but I think the shaft and heel has enough untouched area to show the scars and variations. 

And yeah, like I wrote at 250£ it was hard to pass them. And they are certainly more "rugged" then the Paul Sargent with the chiseled toe.

Yeah I hope that’s the case. It’s just my preference to see kudu and similar in as much whole form as possible. Lovely stuff.

For me a brogue cuts better on a leather with a firmer temper. 

Trickers are worth the money. They are amongst the best of the Northampton makers and in the main a cut above most of the other brands mentioned throughout this discussion.

I’m looking forward to seeing your pics instead of the stock images.

These Russell Moccasins found me - as they do - with a compelling 50% off deal at Zabou.  The shop wouldn't ship sale items to the UK (but they will ship full price items hmm) so I used FromJapan, who combined with UK customs to erode some, but not all, of the 50% saving.  

Anyhow, pleased that my sizing forecast worked out well... because they are very nice shoes... just perfect for the wet muddy British winter :)

20231126 Russell Mocassins 2.jpeg

20231126 Russell Mocassins 1.jpeg

Edited by MJF9

6 hours ago, MJF9 said:

These Russell Moccasins found me - as they do - with a compelling 50% off deal at Zabou.  The shop wouldn't ship sale items to the UK (but they will ship full price items hmm) so I used FromJapan, who combined with UK customs to erode some, but not all, of the 50% saving.  

Anyhow, pleased that my sizing forecast worked out well... because they are very nice shoes... just perfect for the wet muddy British winter :)

20231126 Russell Mocassins 2.jpeg

20231126 Russell Mocassins 1.jpeg

Shameless plug that I have listed a similar pair but with Christy sole in the sales thread. Probably the most versatile shape for moccasins. Enjoy!

Got excited and multi-posted I guess. Might as well add some more info if I'm making numerous posts...

The Attractions are very stiff compared to TFH engineers, walked about 10 miles in them over the weekend without any blisters and they are starting to loosen up. The grain and texture on the leather is outstanding. Looking forward to seeing how they patina. The TFH boots have developed much more slowly than I thought they would, I have not been gentle with them at all but they still are mostly black with a few areas of tea core peeking through.

Edited by Vulcan
Double-post

56 minutes ago, indigoeagle said:

But there seems to be also a different fit.
The Lot 269 apparently fit 0.5 bigger than the Lot 444.
Not sure, if the styling is the same.

I don't have personal experience with the Lot 269, but Attractions uses a different last that they say has a longer toe than the last used for the Lot 444. It looks like that is what makes it fit bigger. From what I've seen, the finishing on the steerhide used for the Lot 269 results in a glossier finish that stays shiny even with wear. The Lot 444 starts out shiny but loses that glossy finish with wear resulting in a less "dressy" appearance.

19 hours ago, Vulcan said:

I don't have personal experience with the Lot 269, but Attractions uses a different last that they say has a longer toe than the last used for the Lot 444. It looks like that is what makes it fit bigger. From what I've seen, the finishing on the steerhide used for the Lot 269 results in a glossier finish that stays shiny even with wear. The Lot 444 starts out shiny but loses that glossy finish with wear resulting in a less "dressy" appearance.

How did you size, say compared to RW IRs or Alden Barrie?

On 11/29/2023 at 12:03 PM, indigoeagle said:

What are people's experiences with the Lone Wolf engineer boots?

I have had the Carpenters for many years. Very happy with them.

Do they still produce?

Great value for money compared to the bulk of their peers

Sadly I don’t think they are still in operation (could be wrong)

14 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

My grails…and I want them in horsehide (again), not calf like they’re currently selling for now.

These aren't Clinch, they're King's Boots (kings_boots_cn on Instagram) with his arch support sole thing. Super comfy.