Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Got excited and multi-posted I guess. Might as well add some more info if I'm making numerous posts...

The Attractions are very stiff compared to TFH engineers, walked about 10 miles in them over the weekend without any blisters and they are starting to loosen up. The grain and texture on the leather is outstanding. Looking forward to seeing how they patina. The TFH boots have developed much more slowly than I thought they would, I have not been gentle with them at all but they still are mostly black with a few areas of tea core peeking through.

Edited by Vulcan
Double-post

56 minutes ago, indigoeagle said:

But there seems to be also a different fit.
The Lot 269 apparently fit 0.5 bigger than the Lot 444.
Not sure, if the styling is the same.

I don't have personal experience with the Lot 269, but Attractions uses a different last that they say has a longer toe than the last used for the Lot 444. It looks like that is what makes it fit bigger. From what I've seen, the finishing on the steerhide used for the Lot 269 results in a glossier finish that stays shiny even with wear. The Lot 444 starts out shiny but loses that glossy finish with wear resulting in a less "dressy" appearance.

19 hours ago, Vulcan said:

I don't have personal experience with the Lot 269, but Attractions uses a different last that they say has a longer toe than the last used for the Lot 444. It looks like that is what makes it fit bigger. From what I've seen, the finishing on the steerhide used for the Lot 269 results in a glossier finish that stays shiny even with wear. The Lot 444 starts out shiny but loses that glossy finish with wear resulting in a less "dressy" appearance.

How did you size, say compared to RW IRs or Alden Barrie?

On 11/29/2023 at 12:03 PM, indigoeagle said:

What are people's experiences with the Lone Wolf engineer boots?

I have had the Carpenters for many years. Very happy with them.

Do they still produce?

Great value for money compared to the bulk of their peers

Sadly I don’t think they are still in operation (could be wrong)

14 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

My grails…and I want them in horsehide (again), not calf like they’re currently selling for now.

These aren't Clinch, they're King's Boots (kings_boots_cn on Instagram) with his arch support sole thing. Super comfy. 

@Topnotcher

I'm interested to hear what you think about the Aldens? I've wanted a pair for a while but they've got even more expensive just recently and there seem to be a lot of people who think they've become a rip-off, in terms of materials and construction, as the price has escalated.

Anyone else's opinions appreciated too. Also about Viberg 2030 service boots in Chromexcel, which are actually cheaper than the Aldens these days. (Dunno if anyone thinks these two are similar but they fill the same kind of niche for me. )

22 hours ago, Mtvare said:

@Topnotcher

I'm interested to hear what you think about the Aldens? I've wanted a pair for a while but they've got even more expensive just recently and there seem to be a lot of people who think they've become a rip-off, in terms of materials and construction, as the price has escalated.

Anyone else's opinions appreciated too. Also about Viberg 2030 service boots in Chromexcel, which are actually cheaper than the Aldens these days. (Dunno if anyone thinks these two are similar but they fill the same kind of niche for me. )

I personally don't have any Alden Indys, but the people that I know who do have them like them. I agree that current MSRP is a bit hard to swallow, although the pop-up on eBay with some frequency closer to $350-400. If I'm going to shell out on Alden shoes, I'd prefer their LHS loafers.

Rancourt (also MiUSA) and Grant Stone make quality and reasonably similar style boots as Alden closer to the $350-400 range. All 3 of these brands use similar Horween leathers as well so they're not skimping on materials quality. Rancourt boots can be had for closer to $200 if you can wait out for their pre-sale (definitely one in late summer, maybe in late winter too but I can't remember). Lead times are long though - I'm still waiting on my pre-order pair of Byron boots from August. They should arrive this month and I can post a few photos when they do.

13 hours ago, yung_flynn said:

I personally don't have any Alden Indys, but the people that I know who do have them like them. I agree that current MSRP is a bit hard to swallow, although the pop-up on eBay with some frequency closer to $350-400. If I'm going to shell out on Alden shoes, I'd prefer their LHS loafers.

Rancourt (also MiUSA) and Grant Stone make quality and reasonably similar style boots as Alden closer to the $350-400 range. All 3 of these brands use similar Horween leathers as well so they're not skimping on materials quality. Rancourt boots can be had for closer to $200 if you can wait out for their pre-sale (definitely one in late summer, maybe in late winter too but I can't remember). Lead times are long though - I'm still waiting on my pre-order pair of Byron boots from August. They should arrive this month and I can post a few photos when they do.

What are you currently wearing?

4 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

What are you currently wearing?

Currently it's not quite so cold yet and the lack of boots is not a big deal, so I'm getting buy with loafers and ranger mocs from Rancourt. Both are nice. Most of their shoes (and both of my pairs) tend to be chromexcel, same with Grant Stone, so they do crease easily but that's part of the charm to an extent for me 

I work in a lab though, so I have to wear safety shoes for a portion of the day anyway.

image.thumb.jpeg.a75d9195944d4bd005386ee36fd61269.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.09d1f24302d1073da7fc62fe623e4a4b.jpeg

Edited by yung_flynn

Here are my camp mocs in buckaroo. I don't think they make this model anymore. I'll add that I don't think Rancourt as a brand really competes with Alden, it's a very different product. The same is true of Grant Stone which I also like and own. If you want Aldens you really should just buy Aldens. I think their pricing is really reasonable and surprisingly stable considering how many other brands have reached upwards into the same tier. Especially if you are buying premium leathers. Aldens in shell are not much more expensive than Rancourts in shell.

PXL_20231209_170436056.thumb.jpg.c21b1f8562a80a4f995e4503566298fe.jpg

For example, Rancourt sells a tassel loafer in shell for 705: https://www.rancourtandcompany.com/collections/loafers/products/tassel-loafer-color-8-cordovan

The shoe is frankly not in good taste.

You can pay less for a more coherent Alden tassel loafer in suede: https://dashingchicago.com/products/alden-3403-snuff-suede-tassel-loafer

Of if you are committed to shell you can pay a little more to just get the genuine article: https://dashingchicago.com/products/alden-563-color-8-shell-cordovan-tassel-loafer

Not a big knock on Rancourt, I am a fan of the brand, but Alden's pricing is very reasonable for what you get. They sell a more premium product that demands a higher price point. Definitely not a rip off.

14 hours ago, willi said:

For example, Rancourt sells a tassel loafer in shell for 705: https://www.rancourtandcompany.com/collections/loafers/products/tassel-loafer-color-8-cordovan

The shoe is frankly not in good taste.

You can pay less for a more coherent Alden tassel loafer in suede: https://dashingchicago.com/products/alden-3403-snuff-suede-tassel-loafer

Of if you are committed to shell you can pay a little more to just get the genuine article: https://dashingchicago.com/products/alden-563-color-8-shell-cordovan-tassel-loafer

Not a big knock on Rancourt, I am a fan of the brand, but Alden's pricing is very reasonable for what you get. They sell a more premium product that demands a higher price point. Definitely not a rip off.

I’d send these back - finishing is atrocious and it worries me the seller has used these pics insofar as it’s possible he thinks the standard of build is good.

IMG_3017.thumb.jpeg.67db57fbc01e94a5fe8c6f59c1a9a25e.jpegIMG_3016.thumb.jpeg.d7df0a42a86b0a68c4384f7c8ecfc000.jpeg

I’ve owned 2 pairs of Alden shoes - one pair similar to the D2614 but with a raised seam on the moc toe which had the seam on different positions so it didn’t look a pair, the other was a plain tie blucher and the sole needed replacing within weeks.

My experiences with these mean I’d never buy another of pair of Alden’s.

I bought a pair of Rancourt beef rolls many years ago while I was working in the US - a colleague recommended them. They were heavily reduced in a sale. They were probably worth the sale price; I wasn’t really impressed but they were comfortable for the office. I’m pretty sure their shoes are Blake stitched, so that goes some way to keeping their prices down.

Edited by Duke Mantee