Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Picked up a pair of Iron Rangers on Amazon Prime day (saved $90).  I measure a 10D on a brannock, but most of my boots and dress shoes are 10.5-11, and I think getting these in a 10D was the right choice.  These things are beasts!!
Pics:
vBn6wNah.jpg
aifi7roh.jpg

Noticed some weird stitching on the sole, particularly that one section that sticks out from the sole --  should be concerned?  I understand that if the outer loops wear down, it doesn't necessarily affect the integrity of the chain, but I could use some reassurance as I'd like to avoid doing any returns in the mail if I can.  See pic in the spoiler below:

7dXmuxVh.jpg?1

Can anyone recommend a good care regimen for roughout leather?  I've read varying things: should I bother treating them with anything ahead of time, or just give them a good oiling/dubbin every so often?  Thanks for any advice!

Shameless Plug:

Hey SuFu BootHeads!

I don't usually do [this], but I'm so excited & I'll just explode if I hold it in any longer ;)

Styleforum is currently conducting a Viberg GMTO__ an activity FOK does 2-3x a year. This round he's going to have a very interesting Engineer Tobacco Chamois on 2005 x Cat's Paw heels+half soles, called the HOPPER on the pre-sale block.

The highlight of this fab make up is leather itself. Nice weight for an engineer's__ similar thickness & density as Horween CXL used by Viberg w/ less stretch factor, as per FOK.

I've been more of a lace-up kinda guy ... just cuz I like the feeling of being comfortably snug&secured down there ... Plus, I don't think I got steeze to pull off an engineer's.

FOK had quite a few unique, tastefully stylish make-ups, to date, eg, [personal fave] "Tan Bison Scout" on white Mini Ripple soles__ too bad they were on 2030 last, w/c is too sleek for my fEEt.

Thankfully, comes the HOPPER! I don't want to regret passing up this fabulous make up, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is ..... Pre-sale will commence sometime next week. Will keep you guys posted__ if interested.

Here's a mock-up of the HOPPER make up proposed by StickyDonk:

062638D2-7200-4319-83FF-A8AFDA81740C.png

Tobacco Chamois sample, captured @Brett_Viberg IG

E2461D75-B869-4C5F-AA06-D07832AFC8FA.png

146C4462-6439-44E9-B0C7-BA4421B48F6A.png

Edited by BrownMetallic

I'm not sure if this is up anyone's alley, but in my search for a low or zero drop work boot, I finally found something that may be well made AND functional. I'd love to hear anyone's impressions if they have any experience with these or any other foot shaped/zero drop boot or shoe.

http://www.russellmoccasin.com/minimalist-footwear-custom-made/

They have a few different styles.

I've never had russell mocs, and I still worry the toe box would be too narrow, but who knows.

@SJ - I'm really into Russell, for many reason including the same reasons you found them. I've heard of nothing but top-notch things. When it comes to hand-sewn moccasin style boots, they are in a league of their own. I'm planning on having them build at least two pairs of boots for me with some custom leather that I'll acquire myself and send to them. Zero drop, Munson last. Just waiting on some funding... then a 4+ month wait. They've done a lot of really nice custom work for the Japanese market - check out my Pinterest

@ed - look at their website; they have a form. Or call them. They are slammed so it may take some time to get response. 

Current Boot Rotation ... sorry for the iPhone quality. Will better pix once I find the cam batt😬

505A0C7C-E3E0-4583-801B-248908184A96.jpg

Tricker's Allan + Malton

Viberg ServiceBoots + DerbyShoes

Update: Styleforum x Viberg GMTO Pre-Sale for the HOPPER is UP!!!

http://www.styleforummarket.com/the-hopper-boot-preorder-viberg-for-styleforum-shipping-worldwide-included/

Edited by BrownMetallic

At the risk of sounding like Seinfeld - what's the deal crepe soles? I never really understood the appeal, especially on desert boots, funny enough.

They are heavy and very slippery in wet conditions - both I think are pretty big drawbacks. So what am I missing, thoughts? because obviously they are a popular choice.

At the risk of sounding like Seinfeld - what's the deal crepe soles? I never really understood the appeal, especially on desert boots, funny enough.

They are heavy and very slippery in wet conditions - both I think are pretty big drawbacks. So what am I missing, thoughts? because obviously they are a popular choice.

Comfort! Love crepe soles.

Comfort! Love crepe soles.

This. Personally, I injured my toes in kickboxing some years ago, and have arthritis in a few of those toes, and the crepe soles on my RW 875s give enough cushion to prevent any pain in my toes. I can't say the same thing about thinner soles.

I'd imagine crepe soles are better for your lower back than heels too; maybe someone has experience with that.

I think wearing a pair of casual boots that have crepe soles along with a relatively soft chromexcel upper may have worsened an existing problem with my foot positioning while walking, causing me to put lots of pressure on the outside of my feet as the leather and sole together sort of give inwards as I walk. I can definitely notice a difference in my walking style now that I've switched back to wearing work boots and sneakers, and have a lot of pressure built up in my heel and ankle that wasn't there before. I can't say if this is a problem with crepe soles specifically, but at least for me the fact that the soles wore away rapidly and unevenly was a factor, especially as I wore those specific boots almost daily for around six months in which the problem began.

That being said, the crepe sole itself is awesome, so comfortable and tactile, and very grippy in dry environments, while retaining similar aesthetic value to less versatile options. I would still recommend trying at least one pair of crepe-soled shoes; even if they don't get worn frequently there are some days in which they become the obvious choice.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...