Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I have several pairs of "nicer" boots (Viberg, White's, Wesco, etc...), but I'm still a huge Red Wing fan. I'm definitely a little biased since I live about 45 minutes from Red Wing, MN. Us locals are also spoiled by having access to their annual fall sale. I've picked up a few pairs for myself and the girlfriend for $100 or so.

These 1907's were one of the sale pickups a few years ago. I love the copper rough and tough leather after it gets some wear and picks up some indigo.

D24ocxK.jpg

I probably wouldn't spend full price on a pair now, but they're usually pretty easy to find on sale throughout the year.

Edited by Segovia

I find RW and Wolverine to hit an almost perfect quality:price ratio.  Especially when you can snag them on sale.  Sure there are nicer boots out there but you're paying well over double what you'd pay for RW for only minimal gain in quality.

With that said I took my shell cordovan Wolverines to get a half sole protector yesterday.  The guy working there asked how much they cost me :(  He better not steal my shoes!  He also said he could pretty easily fix my old Wolverines by sanding down the leather sole and just putting a sole protector and new heels on it so I'm getting those fixed up as well.  He did not recommend I try and re-dye my two-tone Dry Bones boots saying he doubts they'd come out looking correct on the other end.  Oh well guess they'll continue to be niche.

my feet look to be easier than yours. I've never mis sized a pair of shoes bought on the internet, call it luck or whatever. you should definitely give it a try though!

by the way just heard back from Libs @ Lennon boots and confirmed my order.

Oxford shoe on the hill shoe last

waxy tan leather

triple leather sole plus rubber anti slip

internal lining

leather shoe laces

no captoe

total damage 177 pounds, 197 including shipping. not bad!

waxy tan leather looks like this

1EB8E24E-44D0-46F9-8907-8BD2C3176AA2_zps

should age every well with some wear.

Edited by volvo240thebest

I have a pair of 875 and found them so fucking uncomfortable if I wore them for extended periods of time. After a day on my feet, my feet would be throbbing.. I Wore them for a good 8 months and they got a bit more comfy, but still couldn't do extended periods of time. Thinking of resoling them and testing them as casual footwear.

Also I find IR to look like clown shoes and certainly don't look better with wear.

Edited by bradl

Also I find IR to look like clown shoes and certainly don't look better with wear.

I don't have an issue with IR's per-se but I think people style them all wrong.  They wear aggressive taper jeans and a fancy never-seen-dirt button up then they have these big ass clunky workwear boots at the bottom.  It just looks off.  Personally I think they look great when worn appropriately but you'll just see so many people having this clean dressed style then IRs out of no where.

I don't have an issue with IR's per-se but I think people style them all wrong. They wear aggressive taper jeans and a fancy never-seen-dirt button up then they have these big ass clunky workwear boots at the bottom. It just looks off. Personally I think they look great when worn appropriately but you'll just see so many people having this clean dressed style then IRs out of no where.

how true! I too think they look wrong with too tapered jeans.

my red wing 3140 have been great for 8 hour work days on my feet but the sole is starting to wear out and instead of resoling i might go for some white's/nick's bounty hunter/#3 in a 6" boot with the vibram 2021 sole just because red wing doesn't really make anything that really compares and i want a more round toe box. there's the red wing 9111, but the heel/achilles section looks so sloppy compared to other models like the 875 and especially compared to nick's and white's. i take a lot of hits to the heel at work so i want something more reinforced. if only there was something with the 9111 toe/vamp and the 2907 heel section.

Edited by Rob060

Ooh! I just remembered, down from the Red Wing store et al round the corner, I can recommend the Hawaiian burger joint - http://kua-aina.co.uk

It was pretty decent. And I love burgers - Bleecker St in Old Spitalfields Market, Red Dog Saloon in Hoxton Square, Byron (pretty much everywhere and anywhere) ... there's more, but beer and burgers starts to blur into one if I haven't been back twice. 

If you want food on Newburgh street, I would recommend Pitt Cue Co. opposite RW. It is seriously awesome.

Also for burgers in Soho there is Honest Burgers, in covent garden there is Shakeshack and over the other side of regent street near selfridges is Meat Liquor.... all of which I would rate much higher than the Hawaiian joint.

Also on Newburgh street are Filson and Barbour for your waxed cotton needs.

I would but it's always easier for me to size up, get a normal d width and wear an insole, super comfy as well!

Not related to boots, but: your screen name is near and dear to my heart. I have deep Volvo roots, and my first car was an 88 240GL. I need to get a 240 turbo project car. 

/randomness, back to footwear. 

my red wing 3140 have been great for 8 hour work days on my feet but the sole is starting to wear out and instead of resoling i might go for some white's/nick's bounty hunter/#3 in a 6" boot with the vibram 2021 sole just because red wing doesn't really make anything that really compares and i want a more round toe box. there's the red wing 9111, but the heel/achilles section looks so sloppy compared to other models like the 875 and especially compared to nick's and white's. i take a lot of hits to the heel at work so i want something more reinforced. if only there was something with the 9111 toe/vamp and the 2907 heel section.

Highly recommend whites. Am on my feet all day doing renos and other crap and my feet feel amazing all day in them. I could easily work 13 hour days and my feet would feel like they do when I wake up. They were comfy from day one, and have only gotten better. Also the leather has held up amazingly, have black dress and and black rough out.

I just went with standard last, but the custom aspect was the saving grace for me.

they look very nice! how do you clean them. can you share any tips? thanks a lot!!!

not much. probably 30mins of your time. brush off dirt and dust, deerbone, brush again, saphir reno, polish. you might wanna wipe with a damp cloth first if there's water spots. i haven't tried it, but it should get rid of the water spotting. 

I have a pair of 875 and found them so fucking uncomfortable if I wore them for extended periods of time. After a day on my feet, my feet would be throbbing.. I Wore them for a good 8 months and they got a bit more comfy, but still couldn't do extended periods of time. Thinking of resoling them and testing them as casual footwear.

That's too bad bradl, the 875s are the most comfortable shoe I own. They're even better now with Dr. Sole's cushion wanderer crepe sole as it has a bit more bounce than the regular crepe that the 875 comes with. 

just gave my OSB a clean and polish. thought i'd post a pic here. they have been worn close to two years.

RC25oz-5_zpsrveu1kqk.jpg

RC25oz-6_zpsphzgzxwu.jpg

as far as built is concerned, they are not built like a true work boot a la White's, Wesco. More like Alden. My pair have questionable stitching but they seem to be holding up just fine.

not much. probably 30mins of your time. brush off dirt and dust, deerbone, brush again, saphir reno, polish. you might wanna wipe with a damp cloth first if there's water spots. i haven't tried it, but it should get rid of the water spotting. 

Just Googled deer bone - I had no idea. I'm going to try it out... Thanks for the tip.

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...