allacedout

Sugar Cane Denim

Anyone have any experience with the 16.25 oz Okinawa denim Type I? There's a size 42 on Grailed and the measurements look good. However, I'm apprehensive considering the usual measurements of size 42s in SC jackets such as the Type II with the Okinawa/Hawaii denim that are markedly different.

Posted (edited)

@ReverendGlasseye I actually have this exact same jacket in the same size. Owned since December 2017 and worn a few times per week since then. Washed every few months. Here are my measurements I took today. The jacket was measured with all buttons done up and has been worn a single time after its latest wash:

Shoulder to shoulder: 19.25

Pit to pit: 22

Sleeve from shoulder: 25.5

Back from bottom of collar: 24.5

I think the difference in the pit to pit measurement is due to the fact that I pulled the fabric a bit tighter (but not too tight). I personally really love this jacket. It's in that sweet spot of measurements for me. It's boxy enough so that I can wear a hoodie comfortably under it without restricting movement, but not too boxy that it looks sloppy. Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Edited by theguywhoknewthatguy

@theguywhoknewthatguy Thanks a million! I'll have to compare it with a size 40 and go from there.  I'm ~5'10" and 160 lbs and usually go for a 38/40.

@ReverendGlasseye I'm 5'11" and 170 lbs with an athletic build. I tried on the size 40 when originally purchasing and I wasn't able to wear a hoodie underneath without being restricted. It would have been single layer only underneath.

On 4/7/2020 at 3:16 AM, kiya said:

Both the jacket and jeans will be going online next month, around May 14th!

@kiya

Did I miss this release somehow?

15 hours ago, elmcitizen said:

@kiya

Did I miss this release somehow?

No, the virus slowed everything down but we're somewhat back up and these should be shipping to us in a week or two.

Currently less than £85 on Yahoo auctions in W32!

image.thumb.png.832b14ecdc7f861b996a94af39c81f4a.pngimage.thumb.png.687d2ab2575eb30efe782ce8722e2c88.png

image.thumb.png.f9f040a1001ae74a2a19c66b33f319eb.pngimage.thumb.png.0ff1ea96ea650db5e756f9ad6fd8b928.png

Took some pics of my Type III black denim, worn in rotation since May 2017.  I love these jeans, lots of character with the chalky white fades and the marbling that has occurred from the ~4-5 machine washes.  Please excuse the dog hair.  These are much more black looking in real life -- the camera captures the fading but exaggerates the contrast a bit.

20200711_140802.thumb.jpg.7f96d3d490eb2f1022d5f788e00879a1.jpg

20200711_140608.thumb.jpg.2f17acdd3d90705f96063357101291ea.jpg

20200711_140450.thumb.jpg.48a90dcbefa73ab29da7921e7ef31caa.jpg

20200711_140634.thumb.jpg.dd30da5bd379e947043b702bd47be91c.jpg

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Capsicum Fried Meat said:

Lot 470 is a great pair of black jeans. How's the sizing on this jeans?

I'm probably a ~33 waist and this 32 fits perfectly.  Nice and slim but not tight.  

Edited by HGS

I'll keep saying it every time a pair of those gets posted—really, really wish they'd use that fabric in more cuts

Great-looking jeans

^I agree with this. Preferably in the standard 1947 cut, but would happily settle for a black version in the 1966.

@roomtemplacroix looking good... I like what looks like vertical creases down the front and back... what caused them out of interest?  Hanging them up like trousers?

12 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

@roomtemplacroix looking good... I like what looks like vertical creases down the front and back... what caused them out of interest?  Hanging them up like trousers?

i got those from machine washing them right side out recently. i didn’t care for the look at first because it’s a bit too symmetrical but it’s growing on me. 

Posted (edited)

There's an old pair of Okinawas listed on Yahoo in a golden size 33, ..even though these were made in quite high quantities, these days it's ridiculously difficult to find NOS with red tab intact.

This is their second listing, they failed to make the asking price last week...somebody buy them B)

Here's my old pair for inspiration, excuse the crapy indoor shots, i wasn't as proficient at photographing my jeans in those days

With flash

fullsizeoutput_2796

w/out

fullsizeoutput_279c

with flash

fullsizeoutput_2799

w/out

fullsizeoutput_279d

This is the pair i cut up into patches @Graytrain...i'm still looking

fullsizeoutput_279b

Edit- scratch that, look at the glue, resin, paint and such, where ive wiped my fingers on the back pocket, i think these shots are actually post and pre wash rather than with and wout flash

Edited by Double 0 Soul

LOL that difference is actually pretty wild. Those are well-loved and well-thrashed. Very cool!

Posted (edited)

'Bout a month in, cinch cut off @Maynard Friedman
Fell down my bike and slid on the ground yesterday after my frontwheel got caught in the tram-tracks, which explains the weirdly contrasty fades on the right knee and the right backpocket. The denim saved my knee, but my shoes are kinda trashed. Good thing chucks look better trashed :D 

IMG_20200717_192806.jpg

IMG_20200717_192749.jpg

Edited by Thanks_M8

Very nice @Thanks_M8 but unpick the rest of it and remove the rivets like I told you!

2 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

There's an old pair of Okinawas listed on Yahoo in a golden size 33, ..even though these were made in quite high quantities, these days it's ridiculously difficult to find NOS with red tab intact.

This is their second listing, they failed to make the asking price last week...somebody buy them B)

Here's my old pair for inspiration, excuse the crapy indoor shots, i wasn't as proficient at photographing my jeans in those days

With flash

fullsizeoutput_2796

w/out

fullsizeoutput_279c

with flash

fullsizeoutput_2799

w/out

fullsizeoutput_279d

This is the pair i cut up into patches @Graytrain...i'm still looking

fullsizeoutput_279b

Edit- scratch that, look at the glue, resin, paint and such, where ive wiped my fingers on the back pocket, i think these shots are actually post and pre wash rather than with and wout flash

Man these are amazing. Love the green cast of this denim. Thanks for keeping an eye out for me! 

^^ I might Maynard, if I'm motivated enough for it :D cut-off works for the time being and doesn't look bad imo.

Interesting. I recently got this bnwt pair of unwashed/raw Okis via eBay. Was pretty surprised to find a red tab when they showed up. Pretty decent price in the end too.

81230614-C159-4C49-8D54-867C41A4CAC8.jpeg

Wow nice! those tabs got snipped off years ago... how much?

I stopped looking for jeans on ebay long ago, only time i look nowadays is ebay.com >Levi's >Highest Price >Spit out coffee >Wipe laptop screen with sleeve... :)

Nice! must have been a pretty poor listing if you didn't know they had a tab till they landed on your doorstep, so after more than a decade in storage do they still have that sweet sugary smell?

Yeah pretty good deal! Looking back now, the tab is visible in one of the photos, I just didn’t notice it. Seller just copied and pasted Self Edges description, so no mention of the tab there. Maybe they just didn’t know?

They definitely have a distinct but not unpleasant aroma, similar to the Hawaiis I have. I don’t know if I’d personally say it’s sweet though. Just a certain smell.

Posted (edited)

That's a very rare find.. they only made the Okinawa/Hawaii with a tab up until the summer of 2008.

Edited by kiya

2 hours ago, kiya said:

That's a very rare find.. they only made the Okinawa/Hawaii with a red tab up until the summer of 2008.

If you can find the Hawaii with a red tab that's like finding the holy grail ;)

If you let them ripen to maturity you’ll find that. Unfortunately most were picked too early and had a youthful green tab!