SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

I'm surprised that there is no thread (to my knowledge) on the recent happenings in Japan and its effect on the Japanese denim production facilities... if there is a thread, will someone please direct me?

if not, feel free to start one.

I'm surprised that there is no thread (to my knowledge) on the recent happenings in Japan and its effect on the Japanese denim production facilities... if there is a thread, will someone please direct me?

if not, feel free to start one.

To my knowledge, they're all in the South.

It's hard to cover an issue like this without being tasteless. Earlier on this thread, one poster asked why the delivery of his jeans had been delayed. This was the day after the quake and tsunami. There will be long-term implications for the Japanese economy but it's probably too early to start speculating.

So I'm looking to get my next pair of jeans, and want to move away from the super tapered/skinny look.

I've been more accustomed to fits like Iron heart 301s, PBJ XX-011's, etc, and am thinking about moving towards something like R by 45rpm Sorahikos.

I don't want to go super vintage/classic fit, but I love vintage fades, and definitely want to commit to something that is a good median between vintage and modern.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Also considering the BIGxMomotaro

man i love this...

sora1.jpg

sora2.jpg

sora3.jpg

sora4.jpg

sora5.jpg

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread...should probably go in this or that?

not sure where to ask, but superdenim seems to appreciate this sort of style

looking for vintage style henley shirts

thanks

Most decent denim companies make some sort of 'vintage' henley style longsleeve. Just have a look around what Google suggests. I have some nice Henley's from LVC and Lee 101 (these are out of stock, but I guess they'll be back anytime soon). Nudie sure has some (I believe Cultizm have 'm on sale), so does Carhartt and many others. Plenty of choice!

here is my question:

i am looking for work pants that are nice, preferably in a brown / tan like chinos, but made of a sturdier material (denim, cotton twill, or just heavy weight). extra pockets would be a plus, but they have to be worn with a dress shirt and tie.

the best contender i have found would be this or this.

I am trying to find these for my uncle who is a piano tuner by trade and is looking for a better work look. he would like to synthesis standard dress clothing like a shirt and tie (i suggested more casual wool & cotton ties) with more dressed down elements, namely work pants and causal leather shoes or boot . he likes the idea of "20's and 30's work wear, when clothing was still well made a tailored" but of the blue color variety i think.

any other leads on pants, or general suggestions would be great.

Can one-wash denim, for example PBJ, shrink any more with hot soaking?

A separate question: Can you soak only a part of the denim to shrink it while keeping the rest the way it is? For example, suspending the denim in hot water from only the waist to the top of the rise?

Thanks.

Can one-wash denim, for example PBJ, shrink any more with hot soaking?

Further shrinkage will be marginal, as one-wash jeans are usually washed at high temp to get as much shrinkage out of the way as possible

A separate question: Can you soak only a part of the denim to shrink it while keeping the rest the way it is? For example, suspending the denim in hot water from only the waist to the top of the rise?

Thanks.

The water will creep thru the 'dry' bits of your jeans anyway. Not quite sure which bits you don't want to shrink, but if, say, it's a waistband you don't want shrinking, better to stretch it, or prevent it shrinking, with a piece of wood, &c.

Further shrinkage will be marginal, as one-wash jeans are usually washed at high temp to get as much shrinkage out of the way as possible

The water will creep thru the 'dry' bits of your jeans anyway. Not quite sure which bits you don't want to shrink, but if, say, it's a waistband you don't want shrinking, better to stretch it, or prevent it shrinking, with a piece of wood, &c.

Cool, thanks. :)

i know everybody by now should have heard about the disaster that happened in japan. my heart goes out to every single one out there who has been affected. some questions.

has anybody heard from yuichi san from kaizoku pirates yet? he has been a great guy to deal with, very pleasant and very helpful with his service. i know his shop sits in the miyagi prefecture and things are probably pretty bad for him but most importantly i was wondering if anybody has received emails from him over the past few days.. didn't hear back from him when i emailed him about his status.

also, im sure the damage is of catastrophic proportions. how badly has denim production been affected? has there been any japanese denim mills that have been hit hard (in the sense of a wipeout) by it? would love to know if anyone (people from the industry or japanese denim fanatics) has any information. hope everyone is fine.

also, im sure the damage is of catastrophic proportions. how badly has denim production been affected? has there been any japanese denim mills that have been hit hard (in the sense of a wipeout) by it? would love to know if anyone (people from the industry or japanese denim fanatics) has any information. hope everyone is fine.

Hi Ran, nearly everyone I know of is well to the South. Kiya contacted all his acquaintances in the business and they're all fine. Of course, other industries - not least Nikon cameras who have a plant near Sendai - will be affected.

As I mentioned some days ago I still haven't heard from Yuichi as well. I contacted Samurai and even they haven't got any contact to him. But I really hope he is well!

edit: I just found out in which city Yuichi's shop was. It was Ishinomaki.

All information I found about Ishinomaki is, that it was destroyed completely and 10.000 people are still missing... :(

As I mentioned some days ago I still haven't heard from Yuichi as well. I contacted Samurai and even they haven't got any contact to him. But I really hope he is well!

All information I found about Ishinomaki is, that it was destroyed completely and 10.000 people are still missing... :(

So sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed.

seriously, i hope this guy is ok, he is a pleasure to deal with

have a quick question about the stretch in the denime xx fabric , i know the general rule with the xx denim is to size up at least one , but with shins no more pickings are slim , so my question is dose the denim stretch back to its raw measurements

thanks for any help

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic