SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

What are my options for a slim straight or slim tapered mid to high rise jean?

LVC '67 505 (yeah, I know, I'm kinda one track mind, but it really really is a great jean, tapered, mid to high rise, beautiful raw redline denim, no shrink/stretch fuzz) :cool:

really? what don't you check websites the stock each jean ( sure the SEXSC06 is sold out) and compare measurements instead of asking us? even if anyone was willing to do it for you for whatever reason you didn't even state the size you were talking about.,.......

Levi´s Vintage Clothing 1947 501 Jeans Rigid

Sizing recommendation? I don't like it skinny but I also do not like baggy. just right above the skin without the feeling of "skinny".

how much will these shrink after a first hot soak?

Levi´s Vintage Clothing 1947 501 Jeans Rigid

Sizing recommendation? I don't like it skinny but I also do not like baggy. just right above the skin without the feeling of "skinny".

how much will these shrink after a first hot soak?

Ah, Groundhog day again...

Recommendation: for the 47, size up one inch from your waist size

For the 55, buy your actual waist size.

In both cases, go by measured, not tag size because 2009 and 2010 1955 are made big. Sizing as suggested will give a fit as shown below, which is by no means slim.

For the 47, go by MEASURED SIZE only! Size up by one inch from your actual waist size if you want a reasonably trim fit (see below); two inches if you want a more classic fit.

I'm an actual 32 waist; I wear, surprise surprise, 32 waist in Lees, which are made the right size and sanforized (don't shrink).

I wear 32 tag and measured size in the 55, and 34 tag, measured size 33, in the 1947. The 55 are still a bit roomier - they're a generously cut jean, with a bigger top block. You can size up, as normal, for a fuller fit, like, say superscore's 55 jeans, here. Or you can get your actual waist size, it will stretch out after shrinking, and the top block will still be reasonably roomy. This is pretty much what our style forebears like Steve McQueen did, I reckon, if they liked their jeans more fitted.

The jeans shown below are 2006/2007 jeans, since when the sizing has changed. 1947 used to be undersized, 1955 were made true to size. Since then, the 47 are TTS, the 55 are made big. But as long as you check the actual, measured size you should be OK.

Sorry to regulars for the repost - but I can just requote this when the question comes up again. SO, if I haven't explained this clearly enough, let me know!

IMG_0903.jpg

1947. My waist is 32. Prewash waist on these was tagged 34, measured 33.

55front.jpg

1955. Actual and tag size 32. hese shrank down to 31 or so, but stretched back out, and even though they're nominally smaller than the 47, you can see they're still slightly fuller.

Downsizing

Some people suggest going true to size (TTS) in the 47. THis is possible, as long as you go by measured and not tag size but you are likely to get a crotch blowout (look above, you'll see I had to repair the 47, but not the 55). I think the 55 and 66 are better suited to TTS, or even downsizing, in which case you're reliant on the waist stretching after a soak, and might have to sit in the bath ,use a waisband stretcher, etc.

I've seen the 55 sized down even more than this, for a very square-cut, kind of skinhead vibe and they look great. The 1966 is also better for downsizing than the 47 - it's slightly tapered, and won't be so tight around the thighs.

i like raw denim and have been wearin nudies for a couple years now but now i wanna try looking into other brands as well.

i've been hearing about different brands that are made with different threads, some are heavier, some have greater fade contrasts than others, etc. so that each brand has its own unique denim features.

where would be a good place to start to find out how these differences come about and the different qualities each brand has?

thanks in advance

Does anyone know the type of machine/stitching that's required to do proper crotch repairs? (think SE-style...)

many thanks.

I'm not a tailor, but I have seen both my grandmother and my mother in law do crotch repairs with what I think is a standard sewing machine. My grandmother actually still uses a machine she bought in 1946 :rolleyes: Method seems fairly straightforward as well: from a piece of scrap denim, cut out patches that fit the holes, secure in place (with fabric glue...) and stitch along the sides and across the seams.

I'm not a tailor, but I have seen both my grandmother and my mother in law do crotch repairs with what I think is a standard sewing machine. My grandmother actually still uses a machine she bought in 1946 :rolleyes: Method seems fairly straightforward as well: from a piece of scrap denim, cut out patches that fit the holes, secure in place (with fabric glue...) and stitch along the sides and across the seams.

Hmm, yeah, I've done that type of repair myself (with some help from my dear mother) I'm specifically looking for the type of stitch required for "invisible" repairs... almost like darning a sock I believe, but different.

thanks though.

Does anyone know the type of machine/stitching that's required to do proper crotch repairs?

home sewing machines have zigzag patterns that, if you practice a little, look the same as that blended look denim doctors produces.

does big still offer that one-wash service?

I guarantee gordon will wash for you, mr. bona drag

home sewing machines have zigzag patterns that, if you practice a little, look the same as that blended look denim doctors produces.

These were done on a regular machine:

Just got home from work - and found a super nice surprise from England in the mailbox..

Thanks so much, PaulT - my nephew is gonna visit this Sunday - fit pics coming up...

5054338036_2cc374a20b_z.jpg

Best knee repair ever...

5054338212_04bdccfd61_z.jpg

The other knee looked even better.

i like raw denim and have been wearin nudies for a couple years now but now i wanna try looking into other brands as well.

i've been hearing about different brands that are made with different threads, some are heavier, some have greater fade contrasts than others, etc. so that each brand has its own unique denim features.

where would be a good place to start to find out how these differences come about and the different qualities each brand has?

thanks in advance

well... this web site is the best place you can go to find out.

Two questions

Is there anything that can be done about this knee bulging/creases weirdness that happens on new raw jeans? I'm sure there is an official name for it. When I sit in a chair it seems to happen and then when I stand up, the denim on the outside of the knee hinges in.

What's a good recommendation for a slim straight pair of raw jeans for a guy like me with no ass. Diaper butt is best avoided. I have a pair of APC NS (sized down 3) and they are great in the butt and crotch but I don't like the look in the legs - too tight. Prefer a 514 cut.

Thanks!

I've a pair of Fluxus 03 non washed that have been solidly worn for about 4 months and have got a little bit too big round the waist. Also wishing I got a 30" leg too.

Should I tailor them or give them a soak?

Only worry about soaking is I'll mess up the wash on them, which I love.

I'm looking for a new pair of jeans. Currently wearing Skull 5507xx 6x6, but they're starting to get a little worn.

I want something with a similar fit and style, as well as loooong inseams (37"+ preferred, i've got long legs and love to stack).

Aside from that... around $200 is my budget and I love high contrast fades.

Thanks!

i recently purchased a pair of steam locomotive jeans.. they fit well around the waist.. however they are a straight leg and i wasn't sure how they would fit overall. i was looking for something with more of a slim straight fit. My question, is it possible to get this fixed at a denim repair shop? Can you turn a straight leg pair of jeans and make it slimmer?

I cannot return them because i have already soaked them... so i'm kind of shit outta luck.. and i spent 2 something on them so i am not just going to purchase another pair of jeans.. hopefully there is some other way to make it fit better?

Thanks

E

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic