SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

Just clean 'em man. If you really don't want to soak the whole pair, fill up the sink and hand soak/wash the area where the stain is with mild soap (dr. Bronners works well for me).

not sure about white stains that were originally...ketsup accidents, though.

Hopefully you didn't let that stain set in to irreparable damage.

So I'm sick of this ketchup stain that has turned white on the lap of my jeans. How to best get this out preferably without a soak. This is like day 7 of my new jeans!

As stresmaldo says, don't sweat it, they're only jeans. If you spot wash them - use a bar of laundry soap, or Dr Bronners, maybe a brush, then just rinse the surrounding area, the washed part won't be noticeable.

washtime.jpg

I remember reading this in a previous thread, but I can't find it...

How does a pair of IH634SR for example, "gain weight" after a soak?

It does not 'gain' weight, a soak makes the fabric shrink and thus the weight//surface increases. The weight is actually the no of oz a yard of fabric weighs, weight after shrinkage will logically be more than before. But the nett weight of the jeans remains the same.

Can anyone fathom out the production date or any other relevant data from the care label of a pair of 516 flare cuts?

Label reads:

Made in Romania

00516 0479 34X34

148504 5201 0579

Levi Strauss EMEA

Brussels Belgium

Screen on the left front pocket inside says 'for 140 years', referring to 1850; so I would guess they're early nineties.

Brass zipper handle reads 'Levi's'

didn't get an answer so I'm asking again..

jeans at 4 months, should i dry clean or soak?

Different people will give you different answers. Depends though, how hard have you been wearing them, how dirty are they?

edit, just found your original post. I would wash them, dont know much about dry cleaning though. Although ive heard that dry cleaning is bad for certain denim, I could be wrong though.

Ive got a few pairs of jeans that have a lot of leg twisting going on is there anyway to fix or is it something im gonna have to live with

Live with? Dude, leg twist is probably the no 1 feature afficionados of quality denim are after!

If you really can't stand twist, try broken twill denim jeans. Or at least steer clear of LHT and RHT raws.

sorry in advance, but what exactly is leg twist?

Jeans made from unsanforized denim (ie shrink to fit) will develop a twist in the legs that follows the direction of the twill as they shrink. So left hand twill will twist to the left, right hand twill to the right. The measure of twist depends on the denim weight, the level of shrinkage, etc...This can result in twist of 90° and more, so the seams will sit on the front and back of your lower legs, instead of on the sides.

Leg twist is generally considered desirable by denimheads today. Historically though, it wasn't always favored. Broken twill denim was invented to avoid leg twist. In broken twill, the twill direction alternates between left and right neutralizing twist. If you look closely you'll see a very fine fishbone pattern.

I very recently go into raw denim and, after trying out 5-8 pairs at Self Edge, I got some Roy Originals (size 29). They had a great fit when I was trying them in the store but now that I've soaked them I find that the fit really grates on me physically. Everywhere is good but two places. The absolute bottom of the crotch feels pulled tight all the time and, more importantly, the top 1-1.5 inches of the jean is just ridiculous…so tight. It's to the point where I can barely put my hands into the front pocket to get my keys. And I can feel my hip flexors pushing on the jean with every step. Perhaps the medium rise is contributing to the problem? I know they are supposed to stretch out but I don't think I can put up with it for a month. Bummed out since I loved the look as well as the Roy story.

Anyway, onto solutions. I wear Levi 514s in 29 and love the cut. What would be you guys' suggestion on some raw denim with the same cut? I'd prefer sanforized, I don't like digging a cut and then having it change a lot once I hot soak it. I'm also considering buying a size 30 and forgoing the slimmer look. At Self Edge I tried out the Iron Hearts (denim was too heavy), 3Sixteen (alright but just kinda blah cut) and Dry Bones (liked those the second best).

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic