SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

if they're sanforized, no you do not need to soak first.

That said, a lot of people like to still soak their sanforized denim, because throwing them on half-soaked, helps set in the creases/etc., if you're into that..

in re: to should you hem them. it's hard to say without pics, but generally speaking, are they too long?

If they're too long, I would recommend you get them hemmed.

Some people are into the stacking effect, which forms around the ankle from them being too long.The opposite, which I prefer, would be a hemmed straighter, clean silhouette.

Thanks! I decided to not hem or wash. They were perfect with my boots on and stacking will account for some length as well so Im gonna stick with them.

Since theyre sanforized too I'm not gonna wash. I wore them for the entire evening yesterday and theyll be just fine the way they are right now.

Appreciate the insight.

Hi, i wear size 29 in Evisu No.1, 27 in Sorahiko, im a true 27 waist.

I just wondering what size should i get for a pair of eternal 811? i'm looking for a slightly looser fit, would i be ok to get a pair of size 28? How much do they typically stretch?

Thanks for the help guys.:)

hmm... thats hard to say since different brands suit different tastes, however without knowing anything about you, I would blindly point you in the direction of:

Levi selvage 501(see levi.com) -retails for $98. They always have sales, I managed to cop a pair for $50 with 50% off. too good to pass up. They're made in China, and are real beginner-ish, but are of a better quality then Levi's regular 501 STF. Note: the new batch of selvage 501 has different stitching than the previous model.

Either way, if you do it right you should be able to secure a pair for about $60.

Or you can always go with the super entry level, loved and hated by many, Levi Shrink-To-Fit. Those will run you somewhere in the neighborhood of $30-$40.

Other than that, I'm not too familiar with what you can get in the $100-$200 range.

While definitely not beginner-esque, Levi LVC used to be able to be had for roughly $175, and if you can find a pair on ebay or something, I would DEFINITELY suggest you go that route. Their prices have went wayy up so any new stock will run you much more.

my apologies for only offering Levi recommendations. I think, once you get into some of the Japanese stuff (which I love), its going to raise the price and, while I'm sure there is entry level stuff out there, I'm more familiar with Levi, for good beginner inexpensive denim.

(cross-post from YEN jeans)

I got these yen(i think 1890 repro or cut or whatever you would call it) jeans off of the bay for cheapppp! They are faded some(very undefined as you can see). Does anyone know anything about these? I haven't seen these here or anywhere else and don't know much about Yen.

B1GDQCWkKGrHqZiIEqy5mQ-NBMctPRiPKg0_3-1.jpg0117011632.jpg0117011632a.jpgB1YgqQEGkKGrHqNiUErIz9nTdBMctS1tQ0_3-1.jpg0117011633.jpg

anybody from london? would love to know any denim stores in london itself? like selling major brands pbj, samurai or even flatheads or skulls

Hmmm, not seen sammies recently, and fewer people seem so stock the skinnier Japanese jeans. Look on the World of Denim Shops thread for more info. Son of a Stag probably has the best range right now; American Classics has SC - Selfridges seems to have given up.

Hello I'm pretty new to denim... I only own a pair of nudies and they are so thin at the knees that they have begun to rip savagely there for I plan to grab a pair of IH666s's, but I am very confused about initial soaks.

My question is: what are the reasons for doing an initial hot soak? I know they shrink but why would u want then to? Why not just get a size that's already tight fitting and have them stretch a bit to get them perfect? Most of my confusion about this topic stems from contradicting answers to this question and I am trying to get a diffinitive answer. Some people swear by the inItial hot soak, and some say true denim heads wear them as is... no hot soak. Man I'm confused!! To hot soak or not to hot soak?

Also what size to get? My true waist is 29" and I am looking for a relatively tight fit and I am willing to size down and fight through a few days of uncomfort for a perfect fit. Im just confused because I want to know when trying them on in store should compensate for the hot soak and grab a size that is a little bigger or just grab a size that looks good then and there?

Thank you any help would be greatly appriciated!!!

IH666 are made from unsanforized denim. Most people soak unsanforized and don't soak sanforized. You can go without soaking but crotch blowouts are more likely and they'll shrink when you wash them down the road. If I were you I'd size with the shrink factored in and hot soak them before wearing.

Hello I'm pretty new to denim... I only own a pair of nudies and they are so thin at the knees that they have begun to rip savagely there for I plan to grab a pair of IH666s's, but I am very confused about initial soaks.

My question is: what are the reasons for doing an initial hot soak? I know they shrink but why would u want then to? Why not just get a size that's already tight fitting and have them stretch a bit to get them perfect? Most of my confusion about this topic stems from contradicting answers to this question and I am trying to get a diffinitive answer. Some people swear by the inItial hot soak, and some say true denim heads wear them as is... no hot soak. Man I'm confused!! To hot soak or not to hot soak?

Also what size to get? My true waist is 29" and I am looking for a relatively tight fit and I am willing to size down and fight through a few days of uncomfort for a perfect fit. Im just confused because I want to know when trying them on in store should compensate for the hot soak and grab a size that is a little bigger or just grab a size that looks good then and there?

Thank you any help would be greatly appriciated!!!

The thing with STF jeans is that they become truly 'individualized'. It's more of a lifestyle thing than a purely rational. I like the old fashioned way of sitting in a hot tub with my new jeans and 'feel' them shrink to size and then let them dry on me. They will shape to your body and form whiskers and wear that really reflect your lifestyle. Also, they feel in a way 'alive', they shrink with every wash and stretch back again, in no way comparable to a predistressed pair.

But if you think the STF is a step too far for you, why not try a pair of sanforized raw? They will pretty much evolve in the same way as a pair of STF's, save the initial shrinking. If I were you, I'd consider a pair of raw LVC 505's, they are beautiful jeans that will develop nice wear without the hassle of STF sizing. Also, Wrangler make some very very nice raw jeans in different cuts at a much lower price.

^^ Thanks for the replys but im pretty much sold on heavy weight unsanforized japanese denim! (GO HEAVY OR GO HOME! haha :D) I share the same passion that many of you have for the beauty of the natural patina that high quality denim and leather goods develop after years of love have been put into them. The idea of these products outlasting me is mind blowing! And the fact that these items are truly a product all our own is simply amazing to me! But I digress...

So is the consensus for the initial hot soak?

Would most recommend letting them dry on you? this is the first ive heard on this after hours on sufu but i could be looking in the wrong places....

I am really looking for any thoughts of what size of the IH-666s's I should get considering my waist and shrink factor? Come Feb. 1st ill be a proud owner of some IH-666s's I just dont know what size...:confused:

Thanks again everyone!!

Yes, definitely soak or sit in a hot tub before you start wearing them regularly if they're unsanforized. As to letting them dry on you: that's optional, but I would certainly do that if you're going for tts or downsized. You risk ending up with jeans that simply won't fit anymore if you don't.

As for the IH-666: I have no idea. In fact, I'm not too crazy about heavyweight denim mysef, but that's a thing of personal taste.

^ I'm sure there is man. Google is your best friend. Do a little research, read the reviews, you'll find somebody.

yeah i tried that, and called like 4 places I thought would be decent, but they could barely speak proper english on the phone and I'm not too keen on giving my pants to them to fix

I'm just getting into the denim game and I was wondering what the prices and availibility of Japanese denim is in Japan. Sounds kinda dumb but I was wondering if Brands such as samurai or momotaro are cheaper to buy in Japan, or if its less of a hassle. I might be in Japan in the next couple of months and was wondering if I should buy a pair now in the states or just wait it out for when I go to Japan

^^ Thanks for the replys but im pretty much sold on heavy weight unsanforized japanese denim! (GO HEAVY OR GO HOME! haha :D) I share the same passion that many of you have for the beauty of the natural patina that high quality denim and leather goods develop after years of love have been put into them. The idea of these products outlasting me is mind blowing! And the fact that these items are truly a product all our own is simply amazing to me! But I digress...

So is the consensus for the initial hot soak?

Would most recommend letting them dry on you? this is the first ive heard on this after hours on sufu but i could be looking in the wrong places....

I am really looking for any thoughts of what size of the IH-666s's I should get considering my waist and shrink factor? Come Feb. 1st ill be a proud owner of some IH-666s's I just dont know what size...:confused:

Thanks again everyone!!

If you're worried about sizing and shrinkage, why not just go with the Iron Heart 301S (exclusively from Self Edge)? It's 21oz and sanforized, so a pair would be ready to wear straight off the shelf, no soaking or wet wearing required. Sizing is close between the 666 and 301, so if that's the fit you're looking for, it would be similar. Anyone at Self Edge would be able to give you specific sizing and fit advice, and Kiya, Andrew, Allan, Casey and the rest are all very helpful.

You should also consider contacting Giles at ironheart.co.uk. He's extremely helpful and as the worldwide distributor for IH gear, the definitive source for info on the brand.

I'm just getting into the denim game and I was wondering what the prices and availibility of Japanese denim is in Japan. Sounds kinda dumb but I was wondering if Brands such as samurai or momotaro are cheaper to buy in Japan, or if its less of a hassle. I might be in Japan in the next couple of months and was wondering if I should buy a pair now in the states or just wait it out for when I go to Japan

Yeah, buying in Japan will be cheaper and perhaps easier. If you do a search here on SuFu, there are a couple of threads about best denim stores in Japan and where to go and what to look for when shopping there.

The most effective way to prevent it would be to not wear them(jeans).

Blowouts just happen, it's like becoming a swimmer and expecting not to get wet.

The only advice I can think of would be to maybe alter your step/walking posture or get looser fitting jeans.

How would you prevent crotch rips? I've had crotch rips as soon as a little less than 4 months, and this has happened to more than one pair of denim. I see some people going over a year without any crotch damage. :(

dont size down

get something with a higher rise

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic