SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

Other might know more than me but off the top of my head:

1: non-chainstitched hems (some repros have these)

2: should be left-hand denim

3: selvage where there shouldn't be any

4: open selvage

FOr sure, these are certainly not the Edwin-made licensed repros. On balance, I think they're fake.

Other might know more than me but off the top of my head:

1: non-chainstitched hems (some repros have these)

2: should be left-hand denim

3: selvage where there shouldn't be any

4: open selvage

FOr sure, these are certainly not the Edwin-made licensed repros. On balance, I think they're fake.

hmmm thats interesting. i didn't know that they made fake wranglers. Do you know what model of wranglers these would be?

The 78 has the lowest rise, followed by the 54Z (which is in a modernised, skinny cut) and the 66 (which is probably the best all-round jean of the 3). For comparison, the rise on the 78 is 1 inch less than that of the 44. Dimensions here.

How do I go about sizing on the 54Z and 66? My 44 have gotten a bit bigger than I preferred and I went with the size up one on the waist as suggested.

I got a pair of Wrangler Blue Bell repros off of ebay recently and the selvedge has a "fuzzy" edge. Anybody know what type of selvedge this is?

0103011737-1.jpg

That's not selvedge, since the edge ain't closed.

Some 60s Wrangler repros have single-stitch on the hem, just because it's historically accurate.

One of the most interesting Wrangler fakes I've seen. The label says "Wrangler Japan" but I wonder when Japan started licensing the Wrangler name. Why go through all the trouble of creating all the labeling, using good hardware, but end up with denim usually associated with fakes? It's probably more expensive to make this pair than the $33 13MWZ they have out now.

does initial soaking affect the fading process?

how do i get the maximum shrinkage out of the way but the least amount of dye coming out while soaking?

should i use hot water then flip the jeans inside out or would it be ok to use cold water and flip the jeans inside out?

turn jeans inside out

hot wash take out before spin cycle

One of the most interesting Wrangler fakes I've seen. The label says "Wrangler Japan" but I wonder when Japan started licensing the Wrangler name. Why go through all the trouble of creating all the labeling, using good hardware, but end up with denim usually associated with fakes? It's probably more expensive to make this pair than the $33 13MWZ they have out now.

Edwin got the licence for Wrangler about 10 years ago. It is possible that these are a one-off made by the previous licensees, who could have simply knocked up a 'repro' model using the existing hardware. But that fabric has the look of something made in the last 10 years and, however, half-arsed the repro, I think a legit manufacturer would have used blue or yellow selvage, not the red that you always see on Levi's. Because I'm not familiar with pre-2000 Japanese Wrangler repros I wouldnt want to be definitive - Leiv's Japan have produced some bizarre repros, as well as many good ones - but they share a lot of similaritieis witn other THai fakes.

How do I go about sizing on the 54Z and 66? My 44 have gotten a bit bigger than I preferred and I went with the size up one on the waist as suggested.

I hope it's not me that mis-led you! For LVC, I'd always suggest going by measured size. SO for 44s, you must get the retailer to measure rather than go by tag size, as they're usually made one or two inches bigger than is stated on the tag.

For the 66, size up one inch - again, measured size, for a period fit. Recent production seems to be made true to size, so you can probably trust what's on the tag if you can't get them measured. Dimensions and more info on the 501 visual guide thread.

That's not selvedge, since the edge ain't closed.

Some 60s Wrangler repros have single-stitch on the hem, just because it's historically accurate.

Yes indeed, some Wrangler repros do have single stitch hems.

THe edge of the fabric, like this, is strictly speaking, selvage. It won't unravel. What's generally known as 'selvage' by denim geeks is more correctly termed 'fast selvage'. This type of 'fuzzy' selvage, made on a projectile loom, is sometimes called 'open selvage'. Yes, when most people say selvage they do mean the shuttle type, but it's apparently a bit of a misnomer in fabric-speak.

do you think the spin cycle even does anything harsh? other than spinning the excess water off and adding some wrinkles

^ Depending on your washing machine the spin cycle may lead to a weird marbling on new denim (especially SDAs, for some reason)...better to be on the safe side and take your jeans out before the spin.

Alright, since my apc ns are turning 3 in february I want to start a new pair of jeans.

I kind of know what I want, but not what brand. Slim but not tight fit, raw, selvedge and main thing my budget is around 250 dollars.

Since my tighs are kinda wider than my calfs and I don't want bootcut looking jeans I may need something tighter at the bottom.

Overall look something like this:

sexi_indigo_01.jpg

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

gotta bump this :)

Okay, small question in the small question thread. Is there any particular way to clean coated denim? I know most labels will say "dry clean only" but I read somewhere that dry cleaning will ruin the coating.

Would there be a difference in cleaning a wax coating versus a resin coating?

I'm doing this now, but hot soak, with those exact jeans, I'll get back to you tomorrow when they are dry.

When I first received the jeans they were HUGE around the seat and thighs, a hot soak has resulted in alot of shrinkage in this area, plus around 2" off the waist. The 21oz denim shrinks up quite a bit.

hey guise, i would love your opinion on a small matter.

basically i just grabbed a new pair to work on, but did not have time to have them hemmed--i'm pretty short (5'7")-- so theres a bit more stacking then i would prefer.

in your opinion would you say slightly excessive stacking OR a small cuff would suit me better. typically shorter men are told not to wear cuffs because it makes your legs look shorter. love to hear some thoughts on the matter

any sites online where i can source good quality and small amounts of 13oz indigo denim textile? thankssss

and vinftw: they basically folded the denim more into the selvage which makes it bigger - if u wanted to undo it then u would just rip out the seam and sew back the selvage to the original width

Okay, lets talk shrinkage.

Is it eventually permanent? You shrink jeans in a soak or a wash, as you wear they stretch out where they're tight. But is there a limit to the back and forth?

Take the Flat Head World Tour Jeans. They've been going for 3 and a half years, will they be permanently smaller, even at the stress points like the waist? Or is it completely the other way? Permanently stretched out like an old hoodie?

Gordon once explained the "infinity" of shrinkage..

with wear, fibers get thinner. after wash - the fabric always tries to "fill" the spaces between each fiber - making the denim shrink further.

But , the thinner fiber can also be stretched out more easily - or break ..so in a way - it's an ongoing cycle of shrink and stretch

Huh, that's interesting. So it'll just continue until the threads break and the material gets thinner and thinner? I would love to measure the FHWT jeans to see the effects. Like if you could map the measurements against the weight of each part of the jeans.

Sounds a bit too much like science there... :) Wish I could Rep beatle.

Anyone know of any ladies cut denim weighing more than 17oz? My wife is now giving me shit about wanting to enter the HWC contest (after previously showing absolutely zero interest in any denim related subject which I have mentioned).

The heaviest I've found so far are Geishas, at 16oz.

What happens after you warm/hot soak your jeans when fades on the combs/stacks are present? The denim shrinks all around, but does it stretch back to where the fades were? I've seen a few people in my school who have messed up honeycomb fades that haven't fallen back into place yet.

I hope it's not me that mis-led you! For LVC, I'd always suggest going by measured size. SO for 44s, you must get the retailer to measure rather than go by tag size, as they're usually made one or two inches bigger than is stated on the tag.

For the 66, size up one inch - again, measured size, for a period fit. Recent production seems to be made true to size, so you can probably trust what's on the tag if you can't get them measured. Dimensions and more info on the 501 visual guide thread..

Oh I see. I don't think it was you that told me to size up on it. But I was just thinking about going to the SF Levi's store and trying them out there. So if it fits perfect when I try them on I should get a size up or keep them?

hey guise, i would love your opinion on a small matter.

basically i just grabbed a new pair to work on, but did not have time to have them hemmed--i'm pretty short (5'7")-- so theres a bit more stacking then i would prefer.

in your opinion would you say slightly excessive stacking OR a small cuff would suit me better. typically shorter men are told not to wear cuffs because it makes your legs look shorter. love to hear some thoughts on the matter

what are the jeans

Got some money to drop at BiG, wanting to buy the Evisu 2000 #1(sz 34) but they probably won't restock for a while so I'm looking for jeans with a similar fit.

Would the 710 in sz 32 hemmed to a 34 be similar to the 2000 in term of fit? if not, any suggestions? Looking for a classic fit, slim but not too tapered. A ''versatile'' fit.

Thanks

what are the jeans

Good point, they are apc ns. I'm still unsure if I should go with the slight stack or a small cuff. For the time being I'm letting them stack. Theyre still pretty stiff so I'm hoping they settle a bit. Opinions for shorter guys welcome.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic