SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

I've had a very funny thing happen today. I washed a pair of Lee GL 101B's for the first time this morning and hung them to dry. They are dry now and seem to have shrunk A LOT, I mean we're talking at least two W sizes and three L sizes. Now, good thing is I've lost a lot of weight since I bought them, so the still fit me...

But: the label definitely said 'preshrunk'. What's up with that? A lot of owners must be in for a rather unpleasant surprise?

Stratos,

That happened with a pair I had a few years back. Strangely they shrunk everywhere except the waist, which was the only place they were too big! They ended up too short and were gladly received at my local charity shop.

Were yours the ones with one blue/yellow and one plain selvage and a black 'hair on hide' patch?

I wasn't too impressed with the quality to be honest,in terms of both denim and construction. I also have a pair of the LHT organic selvage ones I'm saving for a rainy day - hopefully, they'll be better.

They have a golden yellow selvage about 3mm in width. Care tag says 'Made in Poland', can't quite figure out production year from all the numbers on there. Patch is brown hair on hide. Construction seems ok. Denim is nice and fairly heavy, but an odd indigo colour , more a blueberry hue, like raw Wranglers. But they're developing some very dramatic whiskers and honeycombs. I do like 'm, it's just, they definitely aren't pre shrunk, been wearing them for some hours straight now and no trace of stretching, they feel like stf denim, I guess they are...

I'll post some pics on of these days, light is bad now and I have a crappy camera :P

EDIT: and they are shwoing som SERIOUS LHT twist now, they didn't before washing, must be stf!

not denim but does anyone know if theres a repro available (besides Buzz Rickson and Real Mccoys) of the WW 2 peacoat model (10 anchor buttons and throat latch) and that doesnt cost an arm and a leg

I just bought a pair of Red Wing 875 and I'm curious about the best way to clean/care for these boots. Seems like Red Wing sells a lot of house branded leather goods. Any recommendations for how frequently to clean/treat these, and how to go about it? Thanks!

I just bought a pair of Red Wing 875 and I'm curious about the best way to clean/care for these boots. Seems like Red Wing sells a lot of house branded leather goods. Any recommendations for how frequently to clean/treat these, and how to go about it? Thanks!

the thing about 875s is that they seem to look the best beaten to death. but if it does bother you, you can clean with saddle soap every once in a while when they get too dirty. after care, applying a layer of mink oil will do..

Are APCs known to have very weak stitching? I've worn my pair for 3 days and stitching at the crotch and near the pocket on left leg have come undone.

the pair that i had for 2 years were pretty good considering how i wore them for two years. definitely wouldnt come undone at the crotch after 3 days. not too sure about the build quality of those these days though.

dont feel like looking. going to wash my jeans for the first time, and i was just wondering, should i uncuff my jeans or leave em cuffed? i think theyll be in a tub, not a washing machine.

What do you guys think is the ABSOLUTE BEST quality denim that exists? Is there a direct correlation between the weight and the quality?

Not sure about best quality - once you get up there, it's really all about preferences.

As for the correlation between weight and quality: no.

There is no correlation, the strongest denim I know is Wrangler broken twill, no idea what weight and where it's made but seems just about bullet proof. The lightweight denim of very old Levi's 501's is pretty strong as well. I wore a pair of 1890's breaking down a brick wall, came out dirty and grey but looked spanking new after a hot wash.

dont feel like looking. going to wash my jeans for the first time, and i was just wondering, should i uncuff my jeans or leave em cuffed? i think theyll be in a tub, not a washing machine.

Uncuff them. Since you will be putting it in a tub, you are probably going to swish your jeans around so that the dirty stuff can get out. If you have worn them hard enough, the creases will still be there after they dry and then you just have recuff them.

^ Look for somewhere further away from where you live?

Date/bribe the chick (or dude) who works at 45rpm?

Send them off in the mail to a chain-stitching place if it really bothers you?

Wear another pair that fits right until you go on vacation somewhere that has a chain-stitching service, and then get all your chain-stitching done in bulk? (That's what I do)

Cuff the hem?

k so im trying to figure out what to get for my next pair of jeans but i keep going back on forth on what pair to get. iv been looking at the eternal 811s, a few PBJs and possibly the momos 0701. i dont know, im really hung up on this, have been for a few months. any advice i can get or maybe other jeans out there that are similar? price range up to $300

Slub binge is good for your health.

Thanks for the recommendation madstaxbro, here are my really basic guides (need to write more...):

http://indigoshrimp.wordpress.com/2010/05/26/greenhorns-guide-to-denim-assessment/

http://indigoshrimp.wordpress.com/2010/05/23/buying-your-first-pair-of-japanese-selvedge-jeans/

k so im trying to figure out what to get for my next pair of jeans but i keep going back on forth on what pair to get. iv been looking at the eternal 811s, a few PBJs and possibly the momos 0701. i dont know, im really hung up on this, have been for a few months. any advice i can get or maybe other jeans out there that are similar? price range up to $300

If you are a "larger gentleman" like me, I would recommend these....

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=253712

...ok, thats my shameless plug out of the way.

nah im like 5'11 and 130lbs haha. iv been looking for slimmer cuts. the momos look to be the best, plus iv been looking for slightly heavier denim. ok and just for clarity, iv been in denim for a while and iv been on sufu for a while. i just lurk, never post

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic