SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

make contributing posts to threads. then people will rep you!

Thanks..i think..people do rep me some..but still 0...dont u think we have common issue .

actually good point. No idea. I always figured just make waywt posts and people will rep you and your rep power will go up. I havent really made many, so I wouldnt know. guess I have the same question as you!

a lot of people who post WAYWT will get negrep...especially in the denim edition. :)

needs 50 posts to show your power and be able to rep

Thanks,b_F , u just help me solve the puzzle, is that 50:1 or 50 post for kinda license..and i think your current title is Freaky.no longer rules attach huh.thnks again.

Have Samurai's, need them hemmed.

I would have to send them away to get chain stitched if I wanted that, otherwise I'll just take them to a local tailor.

Is there a huge difference in quality? Can someone tell me exactly how different the two look? I want to keep my nice selvage look. Someone said something about 'roping' but I dont know what that means.

Thanks, I'd really rather not have to send my jeans back Im low on funds but if its worth it I would i guess.

Before hemmed .try to soak or washed your jeans if its raw. Do you mean local tailor=normal tailor .coz chain stiching requried old union special machine. as long as the tailor have one. u will get nice hemmed chain stiched.normal stich for samurai.better cuff it up first .

frzn in that case, you can hemmed it first with normal stich.but save it extra inch for chain stiching in future.its depand on the individual itself..someone dont event care.if you happy with it ,singgle stich will do.

Have Samurai's, need them hemmed.

I would have to send them away to get chain stitched if I wanted that, otherwise I'll just take them to a local tailor.

Is there a huge difference in quality? Can someone tell me exactly how different the two look? I want to keep my nice selvage look. Someone said something about 'roping' but I dont know what that means.

Thanks, I'd really rather not have to send my jeans back Im low on funds but if its worth it I would i guess.

There's not a huge difference in quality, but there is a big difference in look.

CHainstitching has a distinctive appearance, associated with vintage jeans, and the most common machine also pulls the hem in a certain way. THis is what gives roping as the fabric shrinks. IN addition, a Union Special rolls the hem, rather than folding it, which further helps define the look on most vintage and repro hems.

IN short, the chainstitch has a different look because of the stitch itself, the way the Union Special pulls the hem around, and the fact the hem is rolled.

Getting them shortened by a tailor, especially now they've shrunk somewhat, you won't get roping. It is possible to get decent roping with a conventional lockstitch but you need to know exactly what you're doing. Also, getting them chainstitched after they've shrunk will only give minimal roping.

Roping: pic by ranonranonrat:

R1001980.jpg

and finally for a macro shot of the roping.

And here's roping with a conventional lockstitch: note how he's pulled the hem right round. It's not the same look as a Union Special, but it's a decent approximation.

fc991d05.jpg

So, Paul, now that they're already shrunk, getting them shortened by a tailor it won't make a difference whether it's chain stitch or lock stitch? Am I understanding correctly?

It's minimal difference I'm afraid. IF you get them done w a conventional locksitch, show them the hems - you'll see the seam is offset on the hem, as opposed to the leg, where the Union Speical pulls the hem around somewhat. If you can get them to offset with the conventional machine, you will get some roping (Klue on this board has shown some good roping using this method). But unfortunately roping will be limited, now most of the shrinking is out of the way. If you pay for chainstitching you'd mostly be paying for the actual look of the stitch, because roping wouldn't be that much better.

Or you could cuff!

Well i do cuff but never more than once. Honestly im just pretty short (barely 5'9) and the inseam is huge on these Samurai's. the jean just always juts out awkwardly toward the ankle unless i constantly readjust

im still not sure whether i should hem. here's a pic

photoext.jpg

Well i do cuff but never more than once. Honestly im just pretty short (barely 5'9) and the inseam is huge on these Samurai's. the jean just always juts out awkwardly toward the ankle unless i constantly readjust

im still not sure whether i should hem. here's a pic

photoext.jpg

Nice fit..its OK from my point of view.the stacks will do.

This has probably been answered already by '2nd' is pretty hard to search. If I email 2nd (a jean shop that sells samurai jeans) in english will they understand it? Also do they ship to the US? Thanks in advance.

Almost positive the answer to both questions is yes (say, 90% sure or so...)

This has probably been answered already by '2nd' is pretty hard to search. If I email 2nd (a jean shop that sells samurai jeans) in english will they understand it? Also do they ship to the US? Thanks in advance.

I have purchased from 2nd several times. Yes, they will ship to the US, and they use EMS. The are also very quick to answer any inquiries. They do however, want you to use Japanese. If you sent them an email, they will reply saying they aren't good with English and will request that you use a translation using simple English. They want your emails to have the Japanese, with the English typed underneath it. I just use Google Translate. OR, if you know what you want, you can use the English version of Rakuten. 2nd will have everything on there. So, if you see something on their site that you like, you can just search for it on Rakuten and purchase from them.

my jeans smell, but don't appear that dirty. I want to wash them but I'm not really sure exactly what I should do. I don't necessarily want them to shrink, but that wouldn't be a problem

Cold soak? Hot soak? Dry clean? Maybe just throw them in the washer?

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic