Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Go on JD... all ears here... let's hear that recipe...

I quite like peanut butter and nutella together on bread, or maybe a drizzle of honey with peanut butter (insert emoji with tongue peeking out indicating good food which we seem to be missing)

Huf!

We're flooded yet again.. this is the park at the end of our street

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8oz105

.. when i got up yesterday i walked into the kitchen at 5.30am in darkness and got wet feet where the water had come in over the doorstep, the Porter Brook is now a raging torrent.. my kid and his friends were all stopping out last night in his friends garage.. it's a swanky garage with windows, central heating, flip down camp beds, a massive TV and a PS5.. they all walk to the local bakery at 4am and he opens up for them so they can get warm coissants.. schools out init!..

They all came to our house for tea and cut through the park on their way from school... a squirrel jumped on my kid's head then off onto another tree because it didn't want to jump in the water :).. i bet it had been waiting for hours for someone to walk by

When i got home last night every radiator, balustrade and sheila maid was covered in wet clothing and teenagers were sat on the floor waiting for a go with the hairdryer to dry their shoes.. while others queued for the shower.. they all left wearing my socks.. i'll never see those again!

edit- can't embed dailymotion/

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Jokes on them when they go out in the rain and they shrink 2 sizes..

They’re at that funny age where they’re too big for kids clothing but not quite big enough for size small men’s clothing... I remember being a similar age and buying a pink Ocean Pacific sweat with a surfer on the back for £19.. which i’d saved up for.. it was like wearing a tent!

Ive just bought him a bunch of hoodies from the End mid season sale (Eastlogue, and such whoever they are? ) with up to 60% off.. mainly sizes S or XL in the sale.. they were £50 down from £99 ..even the smalls are massive but he likes the baggyness.. 

..and a bunch of staples from Uniqlo.. their size S is just about right with a bit of growing room.. .

16 hours ago, MJF9 said:

Go on JD... all ears here... let's hear that recipe...

From the "Do It Yourself Cookbook" from America's Test Kitchen (good book): 2 C / 8 oz raw hazelnuts, 1 C confectioner's sugar, 1/3 C cocoa powder, 4 tablespoons hazelnut oil (book says 2, but 4 is better), 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/8 teaspoon salt. Roast hazelnuts on a single layer baking sheet at 375 for 11mn (book says 12-15, but that's too much in my oven). Once cool enough to handle, put the hazelnuts in a bowl, cover with another bowl, and shake to remove the skin. Process peeled hazelnuts in food processor to obtain smooth paste (5mn or so), scraping bowl often. Add all the other ingredients & process till glossy, 2mn or so. You're done.

(IMHO, one could get the roasted hazelnuts from Trader Joe's and skip the roasting.)

That sounds pretty damn good^

Only problem with making better quality Nutella is the lack of nostalgia.. don't get me wrong.. everything can be improved with chocolate! but if i'm going to indulge (as i often do) it has to be something i really enjoy or it's just wasted calories (i save those calories for beer) i don't enjoy chocolate spread enough for it's calorie count to take priority over let's say cheese cake or apple pie.

..but what it does give me is a sense of nostalgia.. that Nutella taste instantly transports me back to the south of France in the early 1980s ..that and Orangina ..that feeling of nostalgia is worth the calories but i wouldn't get it from the home made stuff.

'Making your own peanut butter'

I'm not sure this is worth it either.. peanuts are relatively cheap but most other nuts (at least in the UK) are quite expensive.. like 8 quids worth of cashews would make you 3 quids worth of cashew butter.. then you have to clean the damn blender afterwards.. i'd happily give a fiver not to do this terrible chore.. it is all worth it if the nut butter you make is significantly better than the nut butter you can buy in the supermarket.. but £3 buys you a damn good nut butter these days.. B)

The price of nuts is absolutely nuts... deffo... and good points... I can though see the sense of satisfaction in making your own stuff and tailoring it to how you like it.  Visions of sitting back with a nice nut butter, home made nutella with honey (from your own bee hive) on home-made sourdough, drinking single origin filter coffee (with beans you sourced ethically from farm and roasted yourself)... now just to find the time... 🙂         

Love it Duke... and then let's take that supersandwich on tour... just like those Roys on the forum-whose-name-we-won't-mention... take a nibble and pass it on, sealed jiffy-bag, low value to glide through customs... the journey recorded on a 'What has my supersandwich been doing today?' thread... the internet will blow-up, much like the intestines of any recipient after day 7 ish :)

Edited by MJF9

The homemade hazelnut spread is better than Nutella because the ingredients are better and fewer. This being said, we rarely make it because even with better ingredients this is a highly indulgent food, full of sugar and calories. It is less smooth than true Nutella tbh.

2 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Do it as a collective - somebody makes the peanut butter, somebody is the apiarist etc

then you’ve got a Supertalk Superdenim Supersandwich

You're the mod for it!😉

On 10/20/2023 at 12:41 AM, Double 0 Soul said:

I think the Australians would blow us out the water Edwin.. high end nut butter is a national pastime over there.. 

same next door here in Nz , everything butter is my go to. Don’t recommend the other concoction though, that’s an unwanted gifted from someone that figured I love coffee so I’d like this. 
but best peanut butter I ever had was from a hippie shop in Brixton that made their own, also made glutard bread so it was my one stop food shop for the minute I lived there. 

IMG_8794.jpeg

IMG_8792.jpeg

4 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Yes Martin, it's a common situation., as it's easier to replace the expensive dry stone wall with a half price wooden fence. Glad in this instance at least that the local councillors are trying to reverse this decision. 

Unluckily for me, my fibroma (lumps) on my feet are slowly getting worse and drystone walling isn't something l can do without paying for it in terms of pain. I do the odd repair but that's about it. Shame.

With an average of 10,000 to 20,000 steps a day, being a Green keeper is hard enough feet-wise as it is!

Ah well, such is life eh? 😬

I'm at home today waiting for Openreach to fit fibre broadband.. hopefully it'll stop the offspring swearing at the interwebz.. i've just started watching RoboDoc a 4pt documentary on the making of the film.. I'm 1pt in and it's pretty great so far, i found it on doodstream but you might find it on Netflix

Trailer looks a bit shite but it's really not.. for any fan of the film.. it's a great indepth look at the cast, crew, writers and special effects team.

I was nearly attacked by some f’kin snarling pit bull type dog on my way to work this morning..

I ride past the university but before I get to Brookhill roundabout I come off at the crossing (Brookhill is a deathtrap at the end of a 60mph dual carriageway) I use 3 crossings to navigate it before I rejoin the road.. it’s 6am so there is usually no one around..
This morning I used the first crossing and rode past the tower blocks (on the pavement) at the top of Netherthorpe road, some dude came out of the towerblock with a wild-ass attack dog.. no collar, no lead.. it saw me, neck tube pulled up over my face and started chasing me down the footpath while it’s owner shouted ‘Billy’ .. ‘Billy!’ .. BILLLLLLY!!!!’
I could hear it snarling at my heals but couldn’t see it..i was waiting for it to bite my lower leg and thought if this fucker takes me down.. i'm fucked.

I’d taken my cordless home to route the cables for the previously mentioned fibre broadband we'd had fitted.. it was in my backpack with some auger bits
I thought my best option was to get the dog along side of me and use my bike to pin it between the bike and the railings at the side of the road.. get my cordless out and drill the f’kin thing.. I thought, even if it gets hold of me, as long as I can get my drill out, I’ll be alright.. as I got to the railings, approaching the crossing, it magically turned red stopping the traffic so I nailed it onto the dual carriageway (which is a steep hill) and I was away free.. dog couldn’t keep up.. I was going in the opposite direction to my work but at least I wasn’t being mauled by some snarling pit bull...

It's a sad day when you're considering carrying a hammer on your daily commute!

Edited by Double 0 Soul

I have no love for owners who let their dogs off leash in public areas. I’m a runner and have been chased (and caught) more times than I can count. Most recently just about 8 weeks ago - thankfully that one chose not to bite me as I stood like a tree trunk. No problem with dogs, per say - but the owners, oof. 

According to the entitled owners who don’t think ordinances apply to them, it’s always my fault or the dog has never done that before. It’s even happened right in front of signs about leash laws. Glad you got away there.   

That’s ^ the right idea.. pepper spray the fucking owners while you’re at it!

These things are not actually pit bulls.. pit bulls are banned over here under the  dangerous dogs act.. They’re crossbreeds.. I think they have a bit of mastiff, a bit bull terrier ect.. all the worst characteristics from the most aggressive breeds mixed together in one dog, making it difficult for the authorities to ban them without banning all crossbreeds.

..add irresponsible ownership into the mix and you’ve weaponised the mo-fo!

I think they’re mainly used by crack dealers to intimidate folks or more so.. wannabe crack dealers with low self esteem who’re wanting to look tuff.. hard as fuck status dogs are traded like currency.

i don’t mind dogs being off the lead* as such.. we live near a park on the edge of the countryside so dogs are all over the joint, some are on leads, some are not.. but non of these dogs have an inbred tendency to tear your fucking arm off.. having rode around the area for years.. I’ve never had this happen before, it’s more likely that I nearly run them over when they dart in front of my bike while chasing a squirrel.. but as you say @AlientoyWorkmachine this is usually my fault that their dog is out of control 😀 

*but if your dog does have a tendency to chase down and attack passers by.. keep it on a lead! It’s not fucking rocket science!

Edited by Double 0 Soul