Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

I don't think that the Boondocker on the 2045 should feel tight at all when you put them on. It's the roomiest last that I own - even more than Alden Trubalance and Trickers 4444. I encountered some heel slip initially until the leather sole flexed a little and that was it.

Sounds like you could do with a half size up. While chromexcel leather does stretch some, the thickness of the stuff Viberg uses means it is pretty resilient and takes time.

looking for some advice. I have some alden snuff suede plain toe boots with a crepe sole. The crepe sole pretty worn through and needs to be replaced. Should i replace with another crepe sole, or is there another option i'm not thinking of?

a good quality plantation crepe resole is expensive for what it is. Crepe is slippery and wears fast, add another bit of money and go for a leather midsole + whatever you like (i'd go for dainite). it will last longer and will be less slippery.

Never owned Wolverines, but I'd check the laces for being too tight.

In fact, pull the laces out, put on the boots, walk around your house to check for comfort, then lace up with the boots still on.

Thanks for your advice. I did that and feels lot better!

Yes, indeed, the Half Japanese was my baby, my attempt to get a pair of Japanese style work oxfords.  I ended up selling them not long after I got them I am afraid.  Partly the fit was just not quite right. But also to be honest they did not turn out exactly as I hoped they would.  The original vision was for Icy Mocha CXL but that was no longer available so we went with Ebony Latigo, which didn't quite do it for me in real life.  And the shape didn't quite have the chunky Japanese work oxford look that I wanted.

But then, I finally had a chance to get a Full Japanese pair, with these RDTs!  And even  though I didn't really need another pair of black boots/shoes, cause i have the White's, I decided to pull the trigger. Sizewise, the Aldens are 9.5E and the RDTs 9.5.  Both fit me pretty well, with insoles in each. The Aldens might be slightly wider around the little toe, but generally feel a tiny bit smaller all around otherwise.  Of course, the Aldens have a very low profile whereas the RDTs have more volume there.

My only complaint about the RDTs is that the heel is a bit too high for my taste (and feel when walking).  All told, including the triple midsole, the heel height is 1.5", whereas both the White's and the Aldens are 1.25.  I know some guys wouldn't really notice that, but I am something of a heel striker I guess, and the extra height affects my gate and sore heels more then you might think. Still, a great pair of shoes, and very high quality craftsmanship..

Two questions Tod: firstly, how do you size the RDT compared to your Indys? Secondly, what happened to the Viberg Half Japanese? That was a fantastic shoe and it was instigated by you on SF if memory serves...

Hey guys, I have a (dreaded) sizing question.

Over at Styleforum they're rerunning the Hopper boot and I've decided that I really like the build so I'm going to grab a pair. I've never tried on Vibergs, and my current go to boot is a pair of Alden Indy boots which are an 11.5. I also have a pair of Alden black shell cordovan boots which are also and 11.5 but I'm unsure which last they are. Possibly the Grant last, and they are a little snug.
I'm guessing that the safe bet would be a size 11 in the 2005 last?

I didn't have a chance to try on my Indy boots before buying them and the sizing on those worked out pretty well.

I really like the height of the boot as opposed to a traditionally taller engineer boot.

Sounds like they are going with a 50/50 payment option which is nice, so I could get another pair of boots while I wait.  :D

Maybe BrownMetallic can chime in on sizing?

•

•

Sorry, coudnt get back rgt away cuz I'm in LosAngeles visiting my mom.

The way I see it, sizing on the 2005 really depends on what width u take.

@Broark: U take a D-width on most boots? Re: Your Alden Indy @11.5__ how much toespace left? ... in front to the tip, i.e.

Trubalance is similar to 2030 ... & 2005 is tad shorter vs 2030.

IMO, Indy @11.5 D-witdh [w/c fit just enough @toe], u need to size up to 12 on 2005 to compensate for the lenght.

Alden Black Indy= 8E

White's SD= 8E

Tricker's Allan & Stow= UK8 (4497)

On Vibergs:

Latigo Derby 1035= 8

Bison Moctoe Chukka 110= 8

Loden Green Service boots 2005= 8 w/c were initially a bit snug ... So, I sized up 1/2 to 8.5 on the Hopper, in anticipation ... since I'm not familiar w/ the engineer boots construction.

Hope that helped.

Hey BrownMetallic, how are you liking these boots?

I see that they are rerunning these and I've been in the market for some engineer boots.

I think I would like the shorter height on these, might throw in on them and get a pair.

Interested to hear how you like them so far!

•

Hey guys, I have a (dreaded) sizing question.

Over at Styleforum they're rerunning the Hopper boot and I've decided that I really like the build so I'm going to grab a pair. I've never tried on Vibergs, and my current go to boot is a pair of Alden Indy boots which are an 11.5. I also have a pair of Alden black shell cordovan boots which are also and 11.5 but I'm unsure which last they are. Possibly the Grant last, and they are a little snug.

I'm guessing that the safe bet would be a size 11 in the 2005 last?

•

I think I want to get that boot broak. I've never gotten sizing advice on boots that's worked out though :/

•

•

Sorry, coudnt get back rgt away cuz I'm in LosAngeles visiting my mom.

The way I see it, sizing on the 2005 really depends on what width u take.

@Broark: U take a D-width on most boots? Re: Your Alden Indy @11.5__ how much toespace left? ... in front to the tip, i.e.

Trubalance is similar to 2030 ... & 2005 is tad shorter vs 2030.

IMO, if you're on the narrow side of E, u need to size up to 12 on 2005 to compensate for the lenght.

Alden Black Indy= 8E

White's SD= 8E

Tricker's Allan & Stow= UK8 (4497)

On Vibergs:

Latigo Derby 1035= 8

Bison Moctoe Chukka 110= 8

Loden Green Service boots 2005= 8 w/c were initially a bit snug ... So, I sized up 1/2 to 8.5 on the Hopper, in anticipation ... since I'm not familiar w/ the engineer boots construction.

Hope that helped.

Edited by BrownMetallic

That's right: Standard & Strange and Viberg parted ways some time ago.

Broak - I take the same size in my Indy boots (8.5D) as I do in my two Vibergs, on the 2045 and 2030 last respectively. The 2045 fits quite roomy and had some initial heel slip but is now great. The 2030 is much closer fitting, though I would not want to go up to a 9 I don't think. Consensus with Viberg engineer boot sizing for the 2005 is to take a half size up from your usual Viberg size as it is shorter in length apparently and designed to be worn with thicker boot socks etc. I would take a 9 in the 2005 if I was to buy the Hopper.

Tod - Thanks for the explanation regarding the Half Japanese. Sorry it didn't work out for you after all that effort in bringing the model to fruition. Have to agree though that the Ebony Latigo is a little underwhelming. I would have preferred a nice pull-up leather too.

Thanks so much for the feedback BrownMetallic and Sugar_Mountain, I think after reading your suggestions I should take an 11.5 or a 12. Leaning towards the 12 right now though. My Indy boots are a D width, and I do have maybe half a inch or so of length in the toe box but it makes it more comfortable if I happen to be wearing thicker socks like Chup or the like.

The other black shell cordovan boots I have are on the Alden Grant last and they feel a bit too narrow in the toe box, in hindsight I should've gotten those in a 12 for the extra width. But if I wear them with thinner socks it isn't too bad.

I just feel a bit weird going with a 12 since I have a few pairs of athletic shoes that are 11.5 or 11 and almost all the Viberg sizing tips say go a full size down from sneaker sizing. But as you guys mentioned the 2005 is a shorter last than say the 2030.

Going to mull it over a little more and go ahead and place the deposit in the morning.

I'm really looking forward to these boots and I think in the meantime I might order a pair of Boondockers as well because those have really caught my eye too!

Seeing your photos of the worn in Boondockers pushed me over the edge!

I've come to realize that being on my feet all day really requires me to wear some shoes with decent support.

Had reconstructive ankle surgery a few years ago and if I don't wear a shoe with good support it takes a toll by the end of the day.

How are the Boondockers in the warm Honk Kong weather?

It's about to be summer in Texas so I doubt it's a great time to start breaking in new boots haha.

^Count me in on the crazy train but I wear boots in summer lol

I do see the allure of a low top though given the weight and heft; considering getting a nice blucher, etc but keep dropping $ on more boots :X

I've been wearing my Indy boots as it warms up and I don't really notice the warmth too much, just curious how the Boondockers were!
I think I would rather have my feet feel better at the end of the day when it's all said and done.

^ Nor does he live in Hong Kong!

The Boondockers are not exactly ideal for when it gets really hot here, and it's funny when other expats are walking around in flip flops, but the unlined rough-out leather gives a comfortable finish in the heat. My main issue is with the leather sole during the rainy season but after a while, I just let the boots get wet and damaged. It's not like I'm wearing Edward Green here...

Actually, for support I find the Indy boot to be unrivalled. I carry a bit of an ankle niggle from my running days and if it flares up, the Alden are my go-to boot.

^I've been known to wear boots when I visit both TX and HK though!  :D But yeah, it really only gets to around 90-100 degrees Fahrenheit here in Chicago around August-September and even then, not frequent enough to really pack the pain

I'm a bit the same, most people here are wearing shorts and flip flops while I'm still wearing my jeans and boots in the summers!

I'm looking at the Boondockers with the raw cord sole so grip should be a little better compared to the leather sole.

I find my Indy boots incredibly comfortable, probably more so than any other shoe I own. They only complaint is I wish they had a different sole and I find them a little heavy sometimes which gets tiring when I'm walking all day. Just want to try some other shoes out besides Alden!

Gotta wait a bit since I'm ordering these Hoopers and I just ordered a Mister Freedom midnight Appaloosa though...  :ph34r:

Got it, I think it is something I could get accustomed to. I've heard that the roughout natural CXL is just as easy to wear as the normal natural CXL. Which would make sense.

I think the raw cord would be okay since I'm not a huge fan of Christy soles and I like having a good bit of grip.

Although I really like the looks of the Roper boots that Viberg has been putting out recently too and they have Christy soles...

I think I've been bitten by the boot bug.

I'm torn between cognac coloured trickers with Dainite sole and custom Weco Oxfords in black Domain. I want a decent shoe that I can wear for work and in summer without sweating as much as in my boots. The trickers would fit better for Office shoes, but, while beaing super well made and hefty, they don't appeal as much to me as the Wescos which would also make a good leisure pair.

Edited by Max Power

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...