Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Alden for 14 Oz Berlin Whiskey Shell Cordovan. The body is a whole cut (which I love), with the addition of extra pieces for the laces. The color on these is really extraordinary. Oh, and Barrie last in E is ridiculously comfortable. Love it.

@Cander - Beautiful!!! Where did you get them from? New or pre-owned? 

@Cander - Beautiful!!! Where did you get them from? New or pre-owned? 

Brand new. They're from 14 oz Berlin. They only ordered E width, and my feet are a bit on the wider side, so they work well for me!

I bought my first high end leather boots in January, which were Wolverine 1000 Mile Addison Wingtip Boots. I have worn them for around 30 days or so, but when I walk (at the part where the ball of the foot flexes), the leather in the right boot presses quite hard against the top of my midfoot causing pain. The left boot is fine.

I never noticed this in the first week or so of wearing them.

Is this normal breaking in behaviour or is there something potentially wrong with the boot (or even my foot!)?

I bought my first high end leather boots in January, which were Wolverine 1000 Mile Addison Wingtip Boots. I have worn them for around 30 days or so, but when I walk (at the part where the ball of the foot flexes), the leather in the right boot presses quite hard against the top of my midfoot causing pain. The left boot is fine.

I never noticed this in the first week or so of wearing them.

Is this normal breaking in behaviour or is there something potentially wrong with the boot (or even my foot!)?

Same exact thing happens with my Wolverines which are ~1/2 a size too small.  Unfortunately I've worn those for months and it never got better.  I can only rotate them in now because if I wear them multiple consecutive days it literally hurts too much to walk.

@Niro - do you have a high arch and/or high instep? Sometimes guys with high-volume feet (I'm like this; I have a very high arch and instep)) can have problems with shoes that are sized "properly" to the length of your foot. Also, you might want to check your foot size to where the ball of your foot bends, not just the overall length.

Real shoes/boots have an ideal spot where they bend,(unlike sneaks which can bend roughly anywhere) and again if the ball of your foot measures a larger size than the overall length of your foot, you may be in a size too small. The length of my foot measures a 9, but the ball of my foot measures a 10. For years and years and years I undersized all of my footwear unknowingly, and just threw out pair after pair of shoes/boots because they hurt my feet. Now I wear a 9 1/2 or 10 and my feet are much happier for it. 

Never owned Wolverines, but I'd check the laces for being too tight.

In fact, pull the laces out, put on the boots, walk around your house to check for comfort, then lace up with the boots still on.

That's a good idea, I will try that, thanks

@Niro - do you have a high arch and/or high instep? Sometimes guys with high-volume feet (I'm like this; I have a very high arch and instep)) can have problems with shoes that are sized "properly" to the length of your foot. Also, you might want to check your foot size to where the ball of your foot bends, not just the overall length.

Real shoes/boots have an ideal spot where they bend,(unlike sneaks which can bend roughly anywhere) and again if the ball of your foot measures a larger size than the overall length of your foot, you may be in a size too small. The length of my foot measures a 9, but the ball of my foot measures a 10. For years and years and years I undersized all of my footwear unknowingly, and just threw out pair after pair of shoes/boots because they hurt my feet. Now I wear a 9 1/2 or 10 and my feet are much happier for it. 

I don't think I do.

That's interesting, I didn't know that about these sort of boots. I will have to look that up. I am normally a size 9 but majority of reviews I read said to size down, so I bought 8 1/2, and these fit best, size 9 would have been too loose

the whiskey will be great! 

What did you have brian do to your aldens? Just a full resole? 

Yeah, he did a full resole. I have no idea what's going on, but it's been 8 days since he said he finished and he still hasn't shipped them back to me yet. Hopefully I'll get them in soon... :(

Truman Boot Co in natty CXL. Admittedly not the most exciting for a MTO boot but I'm not a guy with a huge rotation and didn't want something too wild. Took about 9 weeks to get these after I made the order. Really happy with the fit and quality of these boots. Pics are after a couple of wears. 

You'll have to keep us posted on how these hold up. I have no experience with them and they're such a new company that I'm hesitant to pay Alden-esque prices for their stuff. However, I love the look of Horween Dublin and would like to get some shoes made out of it to match my briefcase, so I may want to buy from these guys in the future.

A great toe profile, for my money. Seen too many overly flat/pointy ones lately.

•

Thnx

Ahhh, the 2030s?! 'Still can't quite figure out the phenomenon.

Edit on the derbies__ they're partially structured toes, actually.

Edited by BrownMetallic

For me, the 2030 only became attractive when they began using a partially structured toe (with a ''ping pong'' insert). It changes the shape of the toebox noticeably and saves it from that crumpled-down look that the older, unstructured 2030 toes had. Many love that but I just don't get it. Still, quite a difficult fit for most feet I reckon and certainly not my first choice of boot if I know I'm going to be doing a lot of walking in a day.

For me, the 2030 only became attractive when they began using a partially structured toe (with a ''ping pong'' insert). It changes the shape of the toebox noticeably and saves it from that crumpled-down look that the older, unstructured 2030 toes had. Many love that but I just don't get it. Still, quite a difficult fit for most feet I reckon and certainly not my first choice of boot if I know I'm going to be doing a lot of walking in a day.

_

Edit:

•The derbies above are *partially structured.

•On 2030, I believe all GYWs are [@least] partially structured__ the stitchdowns have some make ups that are unstructured.

_

2030 is the only last that don't work for me.

1035/2040 are single E like 2030, but due to the shape & profile of the 2030, there's simply no toe room for peeps on the natural E+ side.

2005 has similar contour/profile as 2030, tho @EE, so it works for me, as well. But, the best last for my feet config is 2045. Unfortunately, it's only available in a couple of models, but not in the leather that'd interest me ... Wish they could do a 2045 in Natty Camel leather in PlainToe Country Derby or Scout.

Incidentally, FOK @SF is organizing a re-run of the Hopper__ this time, w/ partially structured "ping-pong" toe :)

Edited by BrownMetallic

New pickup from the Iron Heart forum 

Viberg x Bureau Belfast Black Oil Tan Rough Out Derby on a Gloxi sole 

26636100411_85f086e893_o.jpgViberg x Bureau Belfast by matt karai, on Flickr

I sold my last pair of vibergs a few months ago which i later regretted horribly. These have filled a massive hole in my wardrobe of black footwear and a pair of shoes (most of what i own are boots)

First impressions are that these things are monsters and built like a pair of feet tanks. I could probably step on a land mine and all that would be left of me would be my feet in these shoes. I am hoping that they hold up well over time, which i think they will. The gloxi sole is huge and tough, its a bit harder than my vibram 2021 on my yuketens but overall i think they will hold up a hell of a lot longer 

Anyone have any suggestions for how to condition oil tanned rough out leather? I am thinking a light coat of saphir maybe once or twice a year?  or a mix of water & lexol in a spray bottle a bit more often? 

Edit: flickr is fucking with me and i cannot flip the photo the other way round no matter which way i rotate the photo in flickr....

83dEiQA.jpg

useless flickr. here's imgur the right way round 

Edited by karanimal

Karanimal nourish from the inside so you don't fuck the hairiness of the rough out use pecards

•

Best idea on unlined r/o's, actually ... then suede protector outside.

Had the mistake of dubbing my SJs. I mean, they were great @1st, but kinda get old & boring after awhile__ not even close to evo effect of a reverse waxed__ gets awesome-r as wax wears off & flesh comes out__ sooo denim-like gorgeous.

'Really more of lace-up kinda guy, but [these] were hard to resist .... Took delivery today

The Hopper: Styleforum X Viberg Engineer Boots in Tobacco Chamois

• 2005 Last

• Unstructured Toes

• Stitchdown

• Cats Paw + Vibram 705

14C17E69-AA98-49BD-B778-104C5AFD20E0.jpg

55470C38-38A3-41C6-A7B9-CDDB1A5CFCD7.jpg

A20603C4-D04E-4D62-A66C-C94B89DEF73F.jpe

9E83B566-6547-45CE-B319-2C2E48BA7DA4.jpe

73FDB56B-5B67-4CAC-8C5D-9812A646A7D9.jpg

Hey BrownMetallic, how are you liking these boots?

I see that they are rerunning these and I've been in the market for some engineer boots.

I think I would like the shorter height on these, might throw in on them and get a pair.

Interested to hear how you like them so far!

I got my boondockers and I can't tell if they're too small or not... guessing boots shouldn't feel right at all when you put them on, especially not right away without walking at all right? Surprised beacuse it's the 2045 last so it's not supposed to be tight...

Thinking about exchanging for a half size up.

I got my boondockers and I can't tell if they're too small or not... guessing boots shouldn't feel right at all when you put them on, especially not right away without walking at all right? Surprised beacuse it's the 2045 last so it's not supposed to be tight...

Thinking about exchanging for a half size up.

How does the boot flex with your foot in it? Where exactly are they tight? 

Viberg sizing is tricky, especially with the 2045 which I've not done right before and gave up on 

Edited by karanimal

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...