Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Nice boots Aho - quite a shift from the White's!

Coming full circle lol...I'm eyeing a pair of #8 Indy's as soon as I can find my size, which was the boot that originally got me into footwear over a decade ago aside from the Alden 4060 :/

^How is Alden's turn around time and repair jobs these days? Been seeing so many examples of horror stories at least in the past 4 years, but wasn't sure if things are different now? Seems it's better to send it to someone local if they do a good job, not to discourage anyone!

My Trickers don't have speed hooks and my Indy's do.  Honestly, I prefer no speed hooks.  The speed hooks on the indy's are awkward and too close together.  They are much easier to use on my White's.  The difference between putting on the boots without hooks is negligible.  

Interesting. I've never had any issues with pants ripping from my speed hooks, but my laces tend to tear kind of quickly. Speaking of shoes with speed hooks, I put down a deposit on a pair similar to these, from Brick and Mortar, a month or two ago:

x440_01.jpg.pagespeed.ic.51RdptH9L4.jpg

I think they're supposed to be done around August or September. Long wait, but should be worth it. Apparently, this pair in the picture was hand-modified by the owner to have an antique-style edge, so they're slightly imperfect, but they don't have any of the special order finished yet, so they're still using it for the picture.

Edited by cander49

i'd like a pair of those, do they come with a darker edge than the antique edge?

There's always makeups with the darker edge being made by leffot, leather soul, and others. Its pretty easy to just use an edge dressing and darken it. It's more difficult to sand it down and create an antiqued welt. 

Personally I prefer #8 with antique edging as it adds some nice contrast to the eggplant #8 that alden seems to churn out lately 

Edited by karanimal

i've developed a little bit of squeak in my right boot [white's] when my toes are bending to push off. kinda sounds/feels like some friction between the insole and the midsole maybe, around the big toe area? not major but is pretty noticeable at the beginning of the day, like when i'm walking to my car before work, but does seem to lessen or become less noticeable while at work. this could also be because it's rather noisy and i can't hear it. this something that may go away over time or something i need to deal with until i get a resole and will get worse?

Edited by Rob060

i'd like a pair of those, do they come with a darker edge than the antique edge?

I think Brick and Mortar has both coming in. I'm guessing you can get them elsewhere in stock already without the wait though.

Curious if anyone has had experience with Rolling Dub Trio boots.  I am thinking of ordering (from Japan, I am in the US) a pair of mid-cut Coupen boots.  I love the way they look, but am wondering about sizing.  Non-returnable, so am reluctant to take the hit if I can avoid it.

64377420_o2_zpsde801b29.jpg

RollingDubTriofromabove_zps51204f39.jpg

there's one guy on denimbro who has a comprehensive collection of rolling dub trio shoes/boots. I'd suggest to ask on db.

I think also oomskolop has a pair IIRC.

the coupen boot looks absolutely fantastic if you ask me.

Red Wing 8111 (obtained 2012-09-26)

Got resoled a week ago.

160310_RW8111_002.jpg

160310_RW8111_021.jpg

Red Wing 3140 (obtained 2012-06-13)

They are in need of a second resole. :)

160310_RW3140_030.jpg

160310_RW3140_036.jpg

Edited by nizzel55

Xposting from Styleforum "Trickers" thread :

Re: quality of Tricker's shoes. The uppers are made of high quality leather. The soles and heels wear out far too quickly. Mine are fairly comfortable but not greatly so. I have to say that I won't be buying any more. Good looking shoes but not enough attention to the fact that people actually wear them

•

Don't understand peep's expectations, sometimes ... Even @Viberg thread. Apparently, peeps want a low profile, soft on the stride, got grip & yet, somehow, indestructible.

Just like tire options for your car, u choose according to how u want them to perform. Dainite is lower & softer__ pure rubber, so wears out faster. Composite/Nitrile, like GY Commando maybe be harder__ honestly, I don't even feel the "big" difference when walking, but can run circles around Dainite, literally, durability-wise.

Incidentally, just had my Maltons re-heeled for the very 1st time today @ChelseaCobbler__ since I roll w/ sorta deep boot rotation, I waited till the commando heel [on the left] got to about a couple of mm close to the leather stack ... just maxing it out ;)

I was really excited & looking forward to re-heeling__ plan was to do a hybrid__ meaning, slapping a Vibram 700 washer/heel on the original commando sole unit, to make the heels plainer & less rugged-looking ... but the repairman said he had to remove the entire heel block [including the leather stack] ... So, decided not to, cuz I love the leather stack :) ... Prolly do it, tho' on the Grasmere when it's time, since the trim is blacked out anyway.

They're @bout 5y/o & has been on snow duty for last 3 consecutive winters. I don't baby my boots, but I do maintain them very well.

05A33B5C-4ABA-40A2-B3DD-14A78CBA9599.jpg

F9E427C0-1C3C-4126-B1BC-22D1FC5A57AD.jpg

Edited by BrownMetallic

yea, I dont get that either.  Its just like tires.  treadwear ratings are there to let you know how durable the rubber is vs the road.  Thats why our Subaru all seasons are 320 and the Kuhmo VR's on my 914 are 50 haha.  I dont expect the Kumho's to last very long on the road, thats why they get put on at the track

@tod i believe we've answered you over at denimbro (@linafelt?), but just in case you're a totally different person, i'd say the rdt coupens (i've got the burgundy brogue) fit a bit big. i'm more familiar with sneaker sizing, i wear 9.5-10 in vans, 9-9.5 in converse, and got the coupens in 8.5 (8H). hiroyoshi-san over at masuya said he wears 8 in converse and 7.5 (7H) in coupens. my coupens fit me quite roomy, i can slip in an insole if i want to, but i don't. i usually wear normal muji socks, sometimes i wear thicker socks. but as always, that's just the way i like it, for my shoes to fit with space to spare. different strokes and all that. great boots i love them.

21629900923_a6223ed558_z.jpg

Edited by oomslokop

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...