Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Hello, those aren't mine, I just took the photo from Dr. Sole's blog. They're the USMC Boondockers from WWII Impressions, though.

I have these on right now! They are a great boot and the raw cord sole has held up longer than any of my dainite shoes/boots 

Edit Pics! Testing out the LG g4 camera

1YR Mark 

7y7Dvjl.jpg

iVubkdq.jpg

eUOdedI.jpg

These are my rain boots, also taken them hiking a few times. Never treated with any suede/roughout protector. Conditioned on the inside of the boots once with lexol 

Edited by karanimal

Crap, I'm dealing with the dreaded US Customs ISC Chicago for my chromxcel boots. Guess I'll be waiting for awhile.

All my stuff goes through Chicago.  Its pretty hit or miss.  Sometimes it is cleared in less than a day like it never even went through and other times it sits there for weeks.

'Still got the original Biltrite Corded Neoprene soles on my Dayton Driver, but the heels had already been replaced. I've had Dainite, Goodyear Commando/Itshide, various Vibrams__ agree, re: corded soles' durability.

I'm a heel striker w/ a slight supination/underpronation. I wear out the same [outside] spot on the heels ... the left, being more pronounced than the right. So, re: heel wear, I get about the same rate of wear on the cords versus composites ... like 700s. Hence, I usually put taps on boots I frequently wear in the city. Pedestrian travel in NYC concrete jungle can be quite brutal on both feet & footwear.

Edited by BrownMetallic

Lots of shoe news.

Sent my Alden plain toe calfskin boots - posted two-ish pages back - to Role Club / Brian the Bootmaker for a hand-welted resole. Excited to see those again.

Quoddy is working on that brown pair of mocs again. I suppose they weren't super apologetic about the bad workmanship on that pair, but they're at least fixing it.

Most exciting... got a PhD completion gift with the stipulation that I spend it on something excessive. The relative that gifted it is super into durable goods, so I honored that request by buying the newly stocked Alden of Carmel color 8 plain toe boots with the antique welt/edge and commando sole.
25857827972_1cd3820203_b.jpg

25678069970_fcdbc19a2c_b.jpg

25978611475_d55bb798d1_b.jpg

25978609645_f062c87dee_b.jpg

They were quite dark for color 8 out of the box - a little more burgundy than the pictures show, with a bit more red on the edge - but the creasing -since picturing - is showing a super rich, deep red burgundy. I absolutely love them. These are in the Trubalance last, which is new to me. I've had Barrie last before, and am kind of between 10D and 10.5D, so I often do 10.5D in boots (wear with fairly thick socks) and 10D in regular shoes (thin socks). I got these in a 10D and the fit is perfect, kind of right down the middle of thin and thick sock wearing. The quality control here is terrific. The welt is perfect and it's hard to find the joint. The stitching is really even and there are no extra threads or anything like that. I still like the speed hooks, although I'm going to have to try a pair without them at some point.

Lots of shoe news.

Sent my Alden plain toe calfskin boots - posted two-ish pages back - to Role Club / Brian the Bootmaker for a hand-welted resole. Excited to see those again.

Quoddy is working on that brown pair of mocs again. I suppose they weren't super apologetic about the bad workmanship on that pair, but they're at least fixing it.

Most exciting... got a PhD completion gift with the stipulation that I spend it on something excessive. The relative that gifted it is super into durable goods, so I honored that request by buying the newly stocked Alden of Carmel color 8 plain toe boots with the antique welt/edge and commando sole.

They were quite dark for color 8 out of the box - a little more burgundy than the pictures show, with a bit more red on the edge - but the creasing -since picturing - is showing a super rich, deep red burgundy. I absolutely love them. These are in the Trubalance last, which is new to me. I've had Barrie last before, and am kind of between 10D and 10.5D, so I often do 10.5D in boots (wear with fairly thick socks) and 10D in regular shoes (thin socks). I got these in a 10D and the fit is perfect, kind of right down the middle of thin and thick sock wearing. The quality control here is terrific. The welt is perfect and it's hard to find the joint. The stitching is really even and there are no extra threads or anything like that. I still like the speed hooks, although I'm going to have to try a pair without them at some point.

The trubalance last looks great! Its nice to see new colour 8 with that shade of denim, that look is one of my fav with #8 

... I honored that request by buying the newly stocked Alden of Carmel color 8 plain toe boots with the antique welt/edge and commando sole.

Nicely Done, @Cander49! That build right there is truly one of the nicest pairs of boots to be found anywhere. 

@cander those laces comes originally with the shoes? Or did you changed it with other laces?

It came with 3 pairs of laces. These were the ones that were originally on it.

The trubalance last looks great! Its nice to see new colour 8 with that shade of denim, that look is one of my fav with #8 

Thanks. Yeah, it's suuuuuper comfortable. I love all that toe room. I typically like Barrie, but Trubalance may be even better.

Unmarked Workman boots

Horween Black Chromexcel leather

metal eyelets

leather laces

leather insole

Vibram sole

doublestich down 

Handcrafted in Mexico

Quality is comparable to ________

Wanted a smokejumper boot

IMG_0335_zpswglz6eua.jpg

IMG_0334_zpsnfvfheyz.jpg

IMG_0333_zpsh8v6jrog.jpg

IMG_0336_zps17ibnb5q.jpg

IMG_0337_zpsi0bzu8di.jpg

IMG_0339_zps6hnngvys.jpg

Worth the wait (2 months). Finally.

edit:don't want to start a "this brand x is better than etc" war on here lol.

Edited by mlwdp

You might check in with Dr. Sole; I believe he can do this.

swapping eyelets / speed hooks is easy to do by yourself (fun, too) -- did this on my french service boots from the 1930s/1940s:

http://supertalk.superfuture.com/index.php/topic/140583-shoes-that-look-better-with-age-2012/page-198#entry3205239

i left the speed hooks in place because i liked the contrast with the replacement eyelets in antique brass and rivets in chrome.

Edited by cameosis

Speaking of trubalance again, it's kind of amazing to me now how much more comfortable these are than even Barrie last. I've only had these a short time, and I already feel that they're much more comfortable than my same-size cap-toe bluchers made on Barrie.

BIG Photo dump; Over the weekend, I visited the Quoddy Factory in Maine. I love this brand. The shoes are incredibly comfortable and after visiting the factory I love the brand more. One of my favorite parts was hearing about how good the company is to its employees. Of the people who work in the small factory, they are required to work 40hr weeks. The employees can get their 40 hours in whenever and however they want so they are in charge of their own schedule and they are given ample break time. The employees are also cross trained so they aren't doing the same job again and again; this also reduces the risk for carpal tunnel.

The brand makes everything from start to finish in a tiny factory in Lewiston Maine. The owner, Kevin, gave me a 90 min tour through the factory. Photos aren't the best; its just from my iPhone. 

This is a mini photo guide to the tour

snDZQnU.jpg?1

LI6DlxG.jpg?1

This is an example of what the workstations look like. There were about 6-8 similar stations scattered around the floor.

naTRywq.jpg?1

Kevin searches for different lasts and collect them in addition to the lasts they use.

CIo0awN.jpg?1

YXp2blg.jpg?1

Kevin also collects different vintage machines and machine parts here are some of the machines they use when assembling.

a2AEIhA.jpg?1

Ist4FQe.jpg?1

D7c1xt0.jpg?1

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...