VibergSampleSale Friday Haul:

***ALL stitchdowns

•110 ~ Chukka

•1035 ~ Brown Fatty Calf Derby, partially structured toe

•1035 ~ Ebony Latigo Service Boots TC, partially structured toe

•1035 ~ Black Pit Tanned Bison Service Boots

639B1FD1-36CE-48FA-B9BC-12511BE53F5E.jpg

89ABF656-F73B-47A5-BC9B-C6F82EB35810.jpg

Nothing fancy really, 'cept for the 1035 Black Pit Tanned Bison Service Boots, w/c were freakin' fabulous , IMO.

Set versus the black leather sofa__ visible complex hues brought out by the afternoon light from the living room window just convinced me they're my new bbf :)

'Was fortunate to have handled Bison leather before, but not @same level of leather quality, tannage-wise.

Had a short chat w/GuyFerguson & he said the tanning process is the same as on their famed + sought after shell cordovan. No quarter lining needed__ leather was as thick, if not thicker than the #HorweenCXL they use.

97A89DA9-7B78-48FC-825F-5AEC169581C5.jpg

35F93299-F30E-43C3-A94B-7E8DC2643051.jpg

AFDE92CA-6374-4D14-AE1F-1DBC92268434.jpg

Edited by BrownMetallic

@BrownMetallic

How are those derbies? Leather thick or kinda thin a la a dress shoe? Thinking of getting some Viberg derbies as a go-to casual/shit kicker.

It depends heavily on the leather, the calf is supple and thin feeling but its lined so it has some added heft, latigo is a midweight leather that is pretty hard wearing imo. If you want shit kickers I'd go with latigo, its tough as nails and cleans up extremely well. 

post hike chicago tan latigo service boots 

aBFCL6j.jpg

After cleaning and some lexol 

432JGNn.jpg

VibergSampleSale Friday Haul:

***ALL stitchdowns

•110 ~ Chukka

•1035 ~ Brown Fatty Calf Derby, partially structured toe

•1035 ~ Brown Latigo Service Boots TC, partially structured toe

•1035 ~ Black Pit Tanned Bison Service Boots

639B1FD1-36CE-48FA-B9BC-12511BE53F5E.jpg

Nice haul BM. I wonder if those Latigo service boots are the batch from Standard&Strange that ended up being pulled. I sent mine back because the eyelets were not evenly-spaced and I can see that on yours too. Don't mean to criticise your new boots, just interested in their origin... Lovely make-up.

@BrownMetallic

How are those derbies? Leather thick or kinda thin a la a dress shoe? Thinking of getting some Viberg derbies as a go-to casual/shit kicker.

Ah right, I'm sure the guidi calf (or whatever they're italian calf is from) is great but needing something a bit heftier.

•

Like Matt said, Latigo is mid weight & soft, but w/ higher density than a calf leather__ w/c makes it hard-wearing. The derby pair I got are French "fatty" Calf ... w/ the blind eyelets combo, their more on the casual wearing side.

Nice haul BM. I wonder if those Latigo service boots are the batch from Standard&Strange that ended up being pulled. I sent mine back because the eyelets were not evenly-spaced and I can see that on yours too. Don't mean to criticise your new boots, just interested in their origin... Lovely make-up.

•

The 2 pairs of service boots I snagged seem to be prod'n & not sample__ not absolutely sure, tho.

:) I swear I re-strung w/ new waxed laces & not even noticed. I'll te-examine when I get home from work & check back.

Stepping into a room full of 'bergs @1/2 retail is like being in a club after 3rd cocktail__ crowd seem to get more attractive ;)

Edit:

... 3rd & last day @$200 would've prolly be like being on Ecstasy, 'cept that I was too late & even the not so good-looking ones were taken ... I mean, I got to set the bar somewhere, haha.

Edited by BrownMetallic

'Aight! As it turns out, the [brown] service boots are Ebony Latigo on 1035.

With regards to the eyelets, I think they're "acceptably" spaced apart. There's this bottom 1st & 2nd eyelets [*2nd photo] that're set slightly closer__ good eyes, @SM ... But, no one's going to bother looking that close & from that angle ... invisible, once boots get creases & scratches from wear.

EFD36BAB-886E-43E8-A23B-C61424D73A9A.jpg

97CBF37C-E77F-454F-8BCE-BDE54E35CE3C.jpg

F8CBB139-054A-4A32-8D05-4876757C0161.jpg

Edited by BrownMetallic

Nice boots! How would you say the 1035 compares to the 2045? I've got my eye on a pair of derbies at the moment...

The last shape of the 2045 agrees with my foot config__ medium heel width + wide/more volume up front.

But, IMO, comparison is like (apples vs oranges). Both lasts work for me, but for totally different purposes.

2 main differences:

1) Fit__ 1035= E vs 2045= EE

2) Aesthetics & functionality:

• 2045 has the workboot DNA__ boots are clunky, but great if you have to be on your feet & on the go all day @work__ just slip in some sensible insoles for added support.

• 1035 is a sleeker, more casual option for peeps who walk on the wide-side. Depending on the make up, it can be worn:

_dressed up ... eg, High gloss leather w/ structured toe on flat welt

_or simply casual ... ie, whichever make up config ... leather on smooth or flesh side, toe structure partial or full, SD or GYW, etc. ... Great for slim tapered jeans__ 'can even do double cuffs or rolled up hems w/o socks, if u can dig that :)

Edited by BrownMetallic

I've found the 11.5 boondockers on the 2045 last fit nicely and can wear them with either thick boot socks or lighter weight ones.

Trying to decide if I should also go with an 11.5 in the 1035 or size up to a 12. I think a pair of derbies would be some nice casual shoes and I could wear them possibly without socks whenever it warms up. Well it already is starting to warm up so I think the derbies would be a good option!

BM - I agree, I don't think you're going to notice the eyelets when they're worn in and on the feet. Certainly not worth passing up if you got them for only a few hundred dollars. At full retail though, for me, it was a different story!

Broark - The 2045 last fits me perfectly in size 8.5 and when I owned service boots on the 1035 in the same size, I found there was enough room in the toebox but that the side of the boots felt very tight on the outside edge of my foot. Even more so than the 2030 I now own, for some reason. I've reached the conclusion that for Vibergs, I am an 8.5 on the 2045 and 110 (same as Trubalance last) and a 9 on the 2030 and 1035 (my regular UK sizing in a dress shoe). My 2030 in 8.5 can only be worn in the colder months because of width issues when the feet swell with hot weather. Hope this helps.

That does help quite a bit, I've found that the size 11.5 on the 2045 is pretty ideal so I think it would be safe to go up to a 12 in the 1035 by the sound of it. As stated before it's always better to have a shoe that's slightly too big than too small.

I think I'll go ahead and order the derbies that I'm looking at tomorrow.

Beige calf here I come! I think they'll make for a nice summer shoe here.

Still trying to convince myself that I don't have a problem.  :D

BM - I agree, I don't think you're going to notice the eyelets when they're worn in and on the feet. Certainly not worth passing up if you got them for only a few hundred dollars. At full retail though, for me, it was a different story!

Were they 8.5?

Could these be possibly the same pair?!

That would be sooo freakin awesome ... coming full circle!

SM~VB~BM - SuFu -> SM

And... while we're on the subject of Viberg boots, here are the Chukkas in Aged Bark that I picked up from Notre a few weeks back.

27573603355_fa63856ebe_z.jpg

I went back and forth on whether to buy them for a while and then swooped on them once the shop announced its sale. Glad that I did because the leather is delicious and is sure to look great with some miles on it. This is my first experience with the 110 last: the width in the toe and the shape of the forefoot is perfect. The heel, particularly on my left foot (slightly smaller) is a touch sloppy but it's also just the nature of a chukka boot too. Feels like walking on air with the 2060 Vibram sole!

Bummer, hope they end up sending you the right boot Niro. :(

I just ordered the beige calf 1035 derbies from Notre, really looking forward to them. I went with the 12 since the last runs narrower and I already noticed my right pinky toe sticking out on my new Boondockers. I've never really owned a derby style of shoe, so hopefully I end up liking them!

This is now the shoe display tower. Have 6 of my favorite pairs in here, along with a lot of shoe care products. Top to bottom:

Color 8 Shell Plain Toe (Trubalance) with antique welt/edge

Whiskey Shell Blucher (Barrie)

Color 8 Shell Tanker/NST Boot (Aberdeen, half size up from other Aldens) with antique welt/edge

Tobacco Calf Plain Toe (E Barrie)

Quoddy Canoe Moc (4 years old, but still in great shape despite probably 1000 wears and 2 resoles)

Black Shell Cap Toe (Barrie)

27493525462_42f6f19b7d_b.jpg

Edited by cander49

Hi dear shoes experts!

The following situation made me wonder if I had to worry about a pair of Vibergs and their soles (their soul still being quite new).

It's a pair of Service boots with some "Itshide" commando soles. After only 15-20 days of wear, the front is already as "worn" as it can be on another of my pairs of RW after 6 months.

I found a post on Style Forum about a similar issue and the sole chipping. So the question is, should I worry it starts wearing out the leather part of the sole? Or is it ok and considered normal wear or at least not something to be concerned about?

]27550942261_91908aa35f_c.jpg

27346659120_a567ab577f_c.jpg

27346666890_6b39f7dc13_c.jpg

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...