Warehouse

Medine

13 minutes ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

I would assume the patch just differs from pair to pair, I'm not aware of other Leepro models at the moment.

Oh gotcha that makes sense. Yet all the pairs I’ve seen have a brown patch. That’s what threw me off. 

6 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

New SS2022 catalog is online...that blanket lined jacket comes with a hefty price

https://ware-house.jp/product/167690148/

Has it increased since the last time they did blanket lined?  It's not out of kilter with recent FW pricing. 

Looks good, I just don't get why they put a pre-faded tab on a raw jacket.

6 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

New SS2022 catalog is online...that blanket lined jacket comes with a hefty price

https://ware-house.jp/product/167690148/

But the lining is now actual wool—this hasn’t been the case in the past, has it? I remember them using cotton, or cotton / poly

@julian-wolf It seems to be an 88/12 wool-cotton blend. In the past, they've done 65/25/10 wool/cotton/nylon.

The previous iterations have all been about 52,000 yen (including tax), so the price increase is noteworthy beyond the slight difference in the composition of the lining. 

Can’t comment on how it would / should be reflected in the price, but that’s a huge difference in terms of actual utility

I wouldn’t consider a lining (or a sweater, or socks, or …) that was less than ~75% wool if I was planning on using it to actually stay warm

This can get complicated because I know Japan's a different economy, but for those serving western markets - inflation is likely at least somewhat present.  

I'm surprised when I see any good that is the same price as last year. In reality, it's cheaper than it was, at least when purchasing from the US. 

@AlientoyWorkmachine Right. Japan is not dealing with supply-side or fiscal inflation right now to the degree the US or Europe is, which is good, but they are achieving this against the other major economies by (electronically) printing trillions of yen to prop up the JGB market, because no one wants to buy low yielding debt... which is not good!

I would imagine WH is fairly insulated from most of this, as domestic wages are still largely flat, and the majority of their market share probably (?) stays within the Japanese market. I would imagine most Japanese brands that have overseas retailers are attempting to keep prices pegged to the relative pre-covid counterparties' currencies, and hope that the importing market's customers don't notice the weak yen, wondering why prices are the same as several years ago. It is a good way for WH to bring in extra yen (once converted from dollars) to offset the decline in dollar-denominated terms of their domestic market share. 

When we see prices for WH products at the same dollar-denominated values from years past, it is actually much more expensive because of how weak the yen is, but, say cheaper relative to if we priced the clothing in gas, housing, or food in the US. 

If we want to understand the cost of goods sold between international markets we need to approach it from the currency pair that best expresses the relationship. In this case, US CPI would be a poor choice, as the dollar has actually risen over the last year in the face of an even faster rising cost of goods. It is confusing - you can have both an inflating basket of goods and a strengthing dollar, but importantly when the inflation of the goods is higher than the relative strength, it expresses itself in real inflation (take the cost of fuel priced in dollars for example). But when the cost of goods inflation in the respective company is lower relative to the strength of the currency pair, it expresses itself in a cheaper or more expensive price, dependent upon if we are pricing it in USD/JPY or JPY/USD. Moral of the story is, any Japanese goods purchased priced in dollars or euros are actually more expensive than in years past, even with a historically higher CPI! That is how weak the Yen is. :wacko2:

5 hours ago, JMS said:

@AlientoyWorkmachine Right. Japan is not dealing with supply-side or fiscal inflation right now to the degree the US or Europe is, which is good, but they are achieving this against the other major economies by (electronically) printing trillions of yen to prop up the JGB market, because no one wants to buy low yielding debt... which is not good!

I would imagine WH is fairly insulated from most of this, as domestic wages are still largely flat, and the majority of their market share probably (?) stays within the Japanese market. I would imagine most Japanese brands that have overseas retailers are attempting to keep prices pegged to the relative pre-covid counterparties' currencies, and hope that the importing market's customers don't notice the weak yen, wondering why prices are the same as several years ago. It is a good way for WH to bring in extra yen (once converted from dollars) to offset the decline in dollar-denominated terms of their domestic market share. 

When we see prices for WH products at the same dollar-denominated values from years past, it is actually much more expensive because of how weak the yen is, but, say cheaper relative to if we priced the clothing in gas, housing, or food in the US. 

If we want to understand the cost of goods sold between international markets we need to approach it from the currency pair that best expresses the relationship. In this case, US CPI would be a poor choice, as the dollar has actually risen over the last year in the face of an even faster rising cost of goods. It is confusing - you can have both an inflating basket of goods and a strengthing dollar, but importantly when the inflation of the goods is higher than the relative strength, it expresses itself in real inflation (take the cost of fuel priced in dollars for example). But when the cost of goods inflation in the respective company is lower relative to the strength of the currency pair, it expresses itself in a cheaper or more expensive price, dependent upon if we are pricing it in USD/JPY or JPY/USD. Moral of the story is, any Japanese goods purchased priced in dollars or euros are actually more expensive than in years past, even with a historically higher CPI! That is how weak the Yen is. :wacko2:

Makes sense! Thanks for the explanation. I knew Japan had pretty normal inflation at the moment but didn't know they were taking this approach to have that. 

I guess with everything feeling so much more expensive, in a relative sense denim hasn't felt the same - esp as wages are stagnant - but I also usually order from EU or UK when I do, and it hasn't been much lately. But I know the euro and gbp are also pretty weak against the dollar these days too. 

@julian-wolf a bit fuller through the back and noticeably more so through the armholes, which is exactly what I was looking for. It is a bit of a crap shoot with the armhole/back situation on warehouse shirts, unfortunately.