SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

11 hours ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Depends on your country but since you wrote € you are in the EU.
Everything you buy in Japan is without VAT but you have to pay that when you import it. And the above 150€ value you also have to pay customs fees which are 12% on top (IIRC).
So for Germany, as an example, you would add 31% (19%+12%) when importing.

Danke Dir! 

On 4/16/2024 at 12:02 PM, 81FXR said:

Does anyone know of a maker with a decent selection of Women’s jeans?

My other half wants a pair of regular/wide straights with a high waist in some kind of dry selvedge. I’m sure I remember LVC having a pretty good range at one point but no longer seems to be the case.

Anatomica’s 618 Marilyn looks absolutely on the money but sadly only goes up to 30. Ideally she’d want a 34 or 36.

SDA has 2 women's models:

https://www.dartisan-onlineshop.com/SHOP/SDL-704.html

https://www.dartisan-onlineshop.com/SHOP/SDL-707.html

Fullcount has 2, + variations:

https://fullcount.co/collections/denim/products/0101-womens-slim-straight

https://fullcount.co/collections/denim/products/0107-womens-wide-straight-monroe also in used, and in black)

TCB has 1 model, sold out rn:

https://tcbjeans.myshopify.com/collections/jeans/products/tcb-50s-norma-jeans-one-wash

What are the differences between SDA's SD-801 (natural indigo regular straight jeans - JPY31k) and SD-D01 (15oz natural indigo regular straight - JPY41k)?

2 hours ago, JDelage said:

Thanks yeah unfortunately she needs a 34 which is apparently much larger than any Japanese offerings.

Might have to be a Western maker like Dawson that caters for bigger sizes.

any suggestions on jeans which fit similar to the evisu 2000? I've been wearing repro cuts for the longest time before this evisu pair I am wearing. I like the fit of the 2000s but the rise could be a little higher. I can't go too slim as it looks odd with the boots I wear. I have been thinking of getting the flathead 3005s but it seems that these have a small waist so I have to size up and the hem is wider than the 2000s. Any suggestions? Maybe the resolutes ww2 would work? or the warehouse denime jeans?

Edited by mousemouse

To folks in the know... what is Japan like from a weather perspective in July? 

I'm considering taking the family and we're pretty active. Perhaps 5 days in Tokyo then travelling to 2 other places in Japan to mooch and take in the culture. 

Climate charts show Tokyo as hot. But is it bearable / ok weather for mooching or not?

Any insights on other places that are milder appreciated. I'm conscious weather charts don't tell the full story.

Thanks

My partner’s brother lived in Japan (mainly in Hokkaido) for almost a decade. When his siblings and mom came to visit him a few years back, I want to say they went in July-August time, and said it was brutally hot, even in that northern climate. My partner’s mom is older and doesn’t do great in hot weather, so take that with a bit of salt as it was mostly her remembering the weather. But I don’t doubt it will be extremely hot most of the time, especially for those of us coming from climates like the uk and pacific northwest. If you’re all up for it, though, I’m sure it would be an amazing trip!!

Will be really hot, not the greatest for exploring a city. 

I've been late May early June and it was sweaty!

Edited by Geeman

17 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

Thanks gents - confirms suspicions - suppose it'd have to be Easter or December holidays then to fit with school here

Same humidity as where you live with added bonus of about 8-10 more sweltering degrees of temperature 

Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 9:20 AM, chicote said:

Anyone know of any good hbt work pants? Really after these vintage sweet-orrs on eBay but they’re size 32  :(

Those are great if you can find them:

https://www.heddels.com/2015/07/samurai-sm610dx-p-herringbone-selvedge-denim-work-pant/

e2nd has them in sz 28 & 31 here. In fact, if you go through e2nd Samurai pants page here and search for "automobile", you'll get many options for work pants in a variety of patterns and fabrics.

Edited by JDelage

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2024 at 11:38 PM, chicote said:

My partner’s brother lived in Japan (mainly in Hokkaido) for almost a decade. When his siblings and mom came to visit him a few years back, I want to say they went in July-August time, and said it was brutally hot, even in that northern climate. My partner’s mom is older and doesn’t do great in hot weather, so take that with a bit of salt as it was mostly her remembering the weather. But I don’t doubt it will be extremely hot most of the time, especially for those of us coming from climates like the uk and pacific northwest. If you’re all up for it, though, I’m sure it would be an amazing trip!!

Don’t go. It’s worse than summer in Thailand. You cannot be outside during the day. At night it’ll be brutally uncomfortable and it’s not what you would expect anyways. You and 3 million others have the same idea right now. Check the tourist stats. It’s madness! You go to Shibuya or any of the known spots and it’s literally more than 50% foreigners and you can’t move on the street. Forget the trains. All trains are packed with tourists and each has three suitcases and a bunch of shopping bags. It’s beyond stupid right now. 
unless you go straight from the airport to Okayama. Stay away from Tokyo, osaka and any touristy spot. 

2 hours ago, Alec Leamas said:

Hello sufu information resource megacentre - can anyone help me out with some sizing advice on John Lofgren M-43 Service Shoes please? (the original natural cxl roughout edition)

I have quite wide feet and I didn’t really get on with the M-43s. I wear a UK7 in Trickers. I tried a US7.5 in the M-43 from East West Apparel (EWA recommend taking your UK size in the M-43, broadly speaking) and found they were too narrow and a bit long. I’m not sure if that’s helpful at all - it obviously depends on your foot shape. They are gorgeous boots!

Edited by tjsma

2 hours ago, tjsma said:

I have quite wide feet and I didn’t really get on with the M-43s. I wear a UK7 in Trickers. I tried a US7.5 in the M-43 from East West Apparel (EWA recommend taking your UK size in the M-43, broadly speaking) and found they were too narrow and a bit long. I’m not sure if that’s helpful at all - it obviously depends on your foot shape. They are gorgeous boots!

Thank you, that is helpful, as I too have feet on the wider side!

Yeah - this has confused me a bit on the UK / US size thing - the size chart on the John Lofgren EU site seems to say something slightly different, yet I have also read the same as what you were told at East West.

I'm reckoning that going with the same as my RW Blacksmiths might be a safe bet - if anyone can tell me otherwise I'm all ears.

They are indeed gorgeous boots - I've been chasing the perfect M43 repro and steered clear of these for a while, but now I've been burned a bit by odd sizing/quality issues in other versions I feel I should probably just aim for the best there is!

They’re sized really funny, in my experience. The last is on the wide end and is sorta shapeless? I’m a Brannock 11 C-D (EU 44, UK 10 narrow, 10.5D in most US boots), and I had to size down to a 9.5 in the M-43 for them to not feel ultra sloppy; at that point my toes were dangerously close to the front of the boots, and they still had more volume and less support than I would have liked. Meanwhile, even with my toes that far forward, my balls seemed to sit at exactly the expected point. Overall a really weird last. I really got the impression they were just sort of meant to fit sloppy on most standard feet. I wore them hard for 3+ years, because I didn’t really know any better at the time (and they did look nice and hold up great), but looking back now I never should have taken them out of the store. To be clear, I don’t think I have particularly weird shaped feet or anything, besides being around half a size narrow—I’ve rarely had issues finding shoes that fit well in the last few years since learning what to look for—I think the Lofgrens are just funky.

46 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

They’re sized really funny, in my experience. The last is on the wide end and is sorta shapeless? I’m a Brannock 11 C-D (EU 44, UK 10 narrow, 10.5D in most US boots), and I had to size down to a 9.5 in the M-43 for them to not feel ultra sloppy; at that point my toes were dangerously close to the front of the boots, and they still had more volume and less support than I would have liked. Meanwhile, even with my toes that far forward, my balls seemed to sit at exactly the expected point. Overall a really weird last. I really got the impression they were just sort of meant to fit sloppy on most standard feet. I wore them hard for 3+ years, because I didn’t really know any better at the time (and they did look nice and hold up great), but looking back now I never should have taken them out of the store. To be clear, I don’t think I have particularly weird shaped feet or anything, besides being around half a size narrow—I’ve rarely had issues finding shoes that fit well in the last few years since learning what to look for—I think the Lofgrens are just funky.

Thanks dude that's helpful info! Funnily enough, I've had similar experiences with other variants of M-43 repro so I'm starting to wonder whether that style of last or type of boot is just destined to feel a bit weird, for me at least.

Anyhow, East West Apparel have actually been super helpful today and offered some great advice too

@julian-wolf do you have pics of your m-43 Lofgren’s? I bet they look great based on how you wear stuff.

I’ve tried on the m-43 multiple times, but something about them just feels off to me as well. I wear a 9.5 US and have tried 8.5 and 8 in the m-43. The 8 felt better than the 8.5, but still something felt off/awkward; I want to find a pair that fits so I’ll keep trying as I think they’re great looking boots... I do have the Lofgren Chelsea, which I like a lot, but they don’t see a ton of wear (not sure why, but I always choose other boots).

@Alec Leamas make sure to check return policies!

Edited by tooth

@tooth No I don’t think I ever took any pictures. They don’t look particularly remarkable; they never got any of the dramatic rolling that a lot of the product photos tend to show (maybe because they just fit funny). I can take some later this week probably, if I can find the boots.