SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

1 hour ago, AlientoyWorkmachine said:

It's just all expensive compared to what I'm used to for camera bags, and at some level the price versus utility comparison has to come in to play. Believe it or not I'm pretty thrifty in most things in my life (outside of denim, really, at this point).

I was in a Filson shop not too long ago and I just in general didn't love the offerings for the price. Nice stuff but yeah, wow, spendy.  

I won't comment on whether or not they're worth it - that's beyond my knowledge. I did get a BdC canvas duffle last year as a gift that I find to be quite solid. I wish BdC did a canvas camera bag but I'm not seeing it. I may just end up with a Domke. Gonna sit on it for awhile since that 20 yr old bag of mine isn't exactly broken. 

Both Filson and BdC are overpriced. BdC sell with their ‘artisan’ story to allow you to believe things are handmade, and Filson who are ‘rugged’ 

I’ve got a small Filson hold-all. Whoever made it had their eyes shut when they did, but the materials are so robust it has lasted despite being crude.

15 hours ago, julian-wolf said:

What about the 13MWZ doesn’t work for you? Are you just looking for a fancier alternative?

Mainly this, I have a pair of black 13MWZ and I love them but I’m just looking for something a little nicer.

On 10/18/2023 at 11:19 AM, Talan said:

I ordered Dehen's cardigan recently. Wow, very much impressed with it. The photos don't convey how solid it is. And yes, very warm it is. Size L works for me, my current rotation denim jackets are 44.

Same size and same experience here. Pretty fabulous cardigan. Found it a bit itchy at first, wearing it just over a t-shirt, which is how I generally go about wearing a cardigan, but either it softened up rather quickly, or I just got used to it. Or perhaps my genes just got re-activated. Grew up wearing mainly wool (right on skin) at least half the year, as my grandmother believed wool saves little boys’ souls, and my grandfather was from a family of fishermen. Anyway, great cardigan.

Cashmere is a wonderful functional material for a scarf. Begg, O'Connell's are options there, there are many others. Anyone who makes high quality cashmere sweaters likely sells a cashmere scarf. If you'd like something cheaper, Polo wool scarves are iconic. Scarves are a great thing to buy second hand on ebay as they are usually lightly worn and as good as new if made from high quality materials.

edit: I love tartan pattern on scarves, like this one from de bonne facture: https://nomanwalksalone.com/collections/de-bonne-facture/products/scottish-scarf-in-red-green-and-gold-tartan-plaid-wool. Secondhand polo scarves on ebay are a great way to try something like this.

Edited by willi

1 hour ago, Duke Mantee said:

So anything really? :laugh:

Maybe you could try some of the english gentlemen’s attire shops like Cordings?

https://www.cordings.co.uk/menswear/accessories/scarves

More specifically to the coat which is similar to the one  below 🙂

Cordings is fine.

image.thumb.jpeg.440f5a2b8f042490adb3959b3d28351a.jpeg

17 hours ago, JDelage said:

Drake's

Yes, they do make very nice scarves. I bought a few from the factory outlet, back in the day, before that shut down and prices doubled.

My favorite scarves are from Johnstons of Elgin, royal tartan in cashmere, and a black cashmere scarf from Lanvin that I bought from a ladies shop, and removed the colorful tag. Last tip may not be useful, but the first one is still available. I believe they make scarves for several fashion labels as well, and possibly for Husbands (very similar scarves, same quality).

Tartan cashmere

On 10/30/2023 at 7:18 PM, willi said:

Cashmere is a wonderful functional material for a scarf. Begg

edit: I love tartan pattern on scarves, like this one from de bonne facture: https://nomanwalksalone.com/collections/de-bonne-facture/products/scottish-scarf-in-red-green-and-gold-tartan-plaid-wool. Secondhand polo scarves on ebay are a great way to try something like this.

Didn’t see this post before replying myself. Second these two. De Bonne Facture usually live up to its name, in my experience. Don’t know who makes this particular scarf for them, but they always provide maker on their site.

Begg & co makes some of the nicest scarves I know of, including some in super thin cashmere that you can fold to the size of a CD (remember those), but will be plenty warm as a scarf or even a shawl.

Asked about indigo dyed sweatshirts a couple weeks ago and I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Strike Gold one. Anyone have any experience with their sweats and know what I should expect in shrinkage if any at all?

1 hour ago, Maynard Friedman said:

No, nothing to see there 🤣

I guess I'll cancel my trip then. 😉

I got as many brands as I could find saved on Google Maps, wondering what shops have multiple brands I may have missed. The Self Edge's of Japan? Hinoya or similar. I was hoping Bears had a brick-and-mortar, but it doesn't appear to. I see Resolute has had some pop-ups as of late, hopefully, one near me during my stay there.