Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

4 hours ago, unders said:

Rubbish. ‘cos the ground’s too hard? When I were a lad we played rugby on frozen ground, it’s good for your minerals. 

Just postponed, no more details, versus an academy too... what have the groundsmen been doing???

Similarly, I recall playing football matches in the snow... and that was with a white ball!  Who needs these new-fangled glowy orange balls eh.  In Duke's day, back in the late 1800s, there were no complaints with footballs made out of sheep's bladders... absolutely rock solid when frozen too 😜     

Anyhow instead we went to the gym together... and hammered loads of Kurdish kebabs afterwards... the gaff is not the most salubrious, but the lads are super welcoming (and we're the only non-Kurds I've ever seen in there) and they do a mean bit of meat over charcoal with all the trappings... and only £20 for 6 skewers, 4 cups of sweet tea and all the mashings... what's not to love

1 hour ago, MJF9 said:

Similarly, I recall playing football matches in the snow... and that was with a white ball!  Who needs these new-fangled glowy orange balls eh.  In Duke's day, back in the late 1800s, there were no complaints with footballs made out of sheep's bladders... absolutely rock solid when frozen too 😜     

… and we never even bothered taking the bladder out of the sheep

54 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

@unders what do those Hyper7 switches do?

Some of them are £30 and some of them are £160 for.. what to my untrained eye, looks like the same piece of plastic, just a different colour?

No idea 00. The boy’s into them and I know chuff all. I’m sceptical that any set of keys can be worth those prices. The stuff my kid buys are about £15 a set so far more palatable. 

Coupon discount for leather Lamp Gloves I found while getting rid of some stuff.  No expiration date (valid only at Anemoscope).

IMG_4289.jpeg

Edited by mlwdp

The boy has just whooped me 6-4 6-4 at tennis  .. what sucks is i'm actually a much better player (honestly i am) but being 14 he'll run down every single damn ball whereas if the ball is at one side of the court and he hits the ball to the opposite side.. i don't bother running for it if i know i won't get there in time to return it.. so the odds swing into his favour... this isn't going to get any better for me is it? :blush:

On 1/19/2024 at 4:47 AM, Broark said:

Alright, now I'm convinced this brand is just some capital investment brain trust concept trying to market shit to wealthy tech-bros.
Thanks, I hate it. :)

Their horsehide N1 collab with Y2 Leathers looks pretty good, I hate to admit. 

I have to admit, I admire the guy for his determination and vision to create his brand and store, and the brands he collabs with. I'm sure he's an interesting fella that I'd probably get along with if he were my neighbor. But, I f'g hate just about everything about his brand aesthetic. When I first found his brand and looked at some of the collabs, I thought they looked pretty good. But after seeing some of his stunts and relentless bot-email campaign, I'd never spend a dime on his stuff. 

This is the last I'll deter SuFu with... C'mon, f'g really???!!! He drug his POS vintage bike to the PNW to ride through the forest on a back-road in the rain? And then blather in his blog about how brutal the conditions were? Just to have an existential experience to sell his brand? Really...???!!! You have to read the blog post too (which is almost illegible due to the font color). 

22 hours ago, mpukas said:

This is the last I'll deter SuFu with... C'mon, f'g really???!!! He drug his POS vintage bike to the PNW to ride through the forest on a back-road in the rain? And then blather in his blog about how brutal the conditions were? Just to have an existential experience to sell his brand? Really...???!!!

You are not having a good time riding that, in those conditions, wearing any of that gear. 

1 hour ago, Geeman said:

Nice write up by Graham Marsh on an A-Z of Ivy for Kamakura Shirts for anyone interested.

@yung_flynn

Ivy A-Z

Thanks! This is cool. Word of warning for anyone with broad shoulders - the Kamakura Vintage Ivy shirts have really high and constricting arm holes for their respective neck sizes. I can't wear them at all. For example, the size 15.5 sleeves measure about 34-34.5" like their size chart lists, but they functionally fit like a 32" sleeve because the arm holes are so high.  The Ametora ones are much better.

Edited by yung_flynn

1 hour ago, yung_flynn said:

Thanks! This is cool. Word of warning for anyone with broad shoulders - the Kamakura Vintage Ivy shirts have really high and constricting arm holes for their respective neck sizes. I can't wear them at all. For example, the size 15.5 sleeves measure about 34-34.5" like their size chart lists, but they functionally fit like a 32" sleeve because the arm holes are so high.  The Ametora ones are much better.

I have quite short arms for my height so they work quite well for me 

18 minutes ago, Geeman said:

I have quite short arms for my height so they work quite well for me 

It's more an issue of the shoulders than anything else. I bought a Vintage Ivy and an Ametora one at the same time and measured the sleeves myself. The sleeve length was identical on both from center back at the collar line, but the Ametora hits my thumb joint while the Vintage Ivy ends about 2" above my wrist joint.

I will say that they are great shirts if the sizing works out. They'd be perfect with loafers, Denime or Resolute denim, and either worn alone or layered under a shetland sweater, tweed blazer, or denim jacket - more or less going full Hayashi-style

On 1/22/2024 at 4:30 PM, mpukas said:

I have to admit, I admire the guy for his determination and vision to create his brand and store, and the brands he collabs with. I'm sure he's an interesting fella that I'd probably get along with if he were my neighbor. But, I f'g hate just about everything about his brand aesthetic. When I first found his brand and looked at some of the collabs, I thought they looked pretty good. But after seeing some of his stunts and relentless bot-email campaign, I'd never spend a dime on his stuff. 

This is the last I'll deter SuFu with... C'mon, f'g really???!!! He drug his POS vintage bike to the PNW to ride through the forest on a back-road in the rain? And then blather in his blog about how brutal the conditions were? Just to have an existential experience to sell his brand? Really...???!!! You have to read the blog post too (which is almost illegible due to the font color). 

Oof. To be honest I'd feel almost unkind criticizing this whole thing. It feels entirely desperate. I really hope this dude finds whatever he is looking for but I have my doubts the answer is in ... whatever this whole project is and the mentality that seems to go with it. 

If you took an ill equipped motorcycle ride for the supposed enjoyment of being unencumbered with the dredges of contemporary society and you didn't film it to sell jeans did you even ride? 

First I’ve ever dealt with this. On the new jeans I got something about the back pockets causes my bifold to shift around throughout the day and turns my wallet on its side. Driving me absolutely mad. HAHHAHA 

5 hours ago, shredwin_206 said:

First I’ve ever dealt with this. On the new jeans I got something about the back pockets causes my bifold to shift around throughout the day and turns my wallet on its side. Driving me absolutely mad. HAHHAHA 

Stuff more cash in it to weight it down mate

12 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

There’s a fkin Ferrari parked at the end of our street.. it’s obscuring out view of the wheelie bins!

Notice how it’s parked on double yellows lines? .. there’s a perfectly legit parking space in front of it :D

I’ve always wondered if you buy a ’luxury’ car you get automatic exemption from the Highway Code and traffic laws generally … we’ve got a disability badge for Ellie and it seems we can’t use any of the designated parking spaces because they seem to be full of top end motors

I don't know about that but you do get automatic inclusion into the universally recognised '00s Car Wanker-0-Meter' I'm hoping my research will become a key feature in the driving test where you're given a series of car pictures and you have to correctly identify the wankerness of the driver

Porsche driver = king of the wankers

Range Rover driver = wanker, room for improvement

Tesla driver = sanctimonoius wanker

Congratulations sir.. you have passed your driving test

IIRC in Thailand your car tax is paid on your licence plate and based on the value of your car. If you buy a supercar,  Lambo/porsche etc , your tax is 100% of the value of your car! So if you buy one you are in effect buying it twice. The supercar plate does get you certain benefits though such as dedicated parking at places like malls. Which they always allocate right at the front in the most prominent area so obviously it makes the particular mall look luxurious and the place to be. Image and status is everything in BKK!

Anyone with better knowledge of it please feel free to correct me.