Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Sorry, but what in the world is this marketing mumbo jumbo...

But, dear reader, here is where the enchantment takes flight. We breathed life into these jeans through the artistry of aging, each pair murmuring tales of adventures etched in the tapestry of existence, and dreams pursued with unwavering determination. These are more than just jeans; they echo a life lived, of uncharted journeys, the smoldering embers of your passions, and the essence of your very soul.

In our humble sanctuary, we pay tribute to an icon that reshaped the denim universe. These jeans transcend the realm of mere threads and stitches; they are an anthem to denim, a tribute to excellence, and a celebration of the untamed spirit residing within each of us.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e477aj72fl7jsr97buvdt

18 minutes ago, Broark said:

Sorry, but what in the world is this marketing mumbo jumbo...

Even more pleonasm:

… pure virgin Harris Tweed Evergreen plaid wool weaved in Scotland for Black Bear Brand

If it’s Harris tweed it must be pure virgin wool dyed and spun in the Outer Hebrides - not just Scotland generally and the rest of the description is redundant (although there aren’t many virgin sheep up that neck of the woods 😏)

Oh - and it’s fucking ‘woven’ not ‘weaved’

Edited by Duke Mantee

@mpukas @Duke Mantee @Broark y’all know who originally was the first one to make jeans for Black Bear right!? 
The scam artist extraordinaire WH Ranch Dungarees. 
That’s probably where they got their business model. 😂 

Timbs?! .. Woohoo! the 90s are almost entirely rinsed, thank fuck for that! .. it'll be the 2000s next

I can't wait for 2008 when we'll all be briefly fashionable again.. sadly, this time around we'll look like pathetic midlife-crisis fuckers trying to be down with the passive aggressive 00's kids

Oh well, it beats our current status of enjoying a very high opinion of our dress sense while being deeply unfashionable :D

I quite liked that^^^  'marketing mumbo jumbo' just for the comedy aspect.. y'know, from the perspective of someone who's wise enough to know better.. (ie not the person they're marketing to) I like to think they were laughing their asses off while writing it and not taking it, at all seriously

Edited by Double 0 Soul

6 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Dust off your Timberlands if you still have them and they haven’t disintegrated. The 90s must be coming back around…

I’ll bet @Geeman is dancing a jig to this news!

My boy wants a pair, he is all we’re talking about. I think he is a cool looking 14 yr old. He doesn’t care about the 90s he just wants to look cool

8 hours ago, Broark said:

Alright, now I'm convinced this brand is just some capital investment brain trust concept trying to market shit to wealthy tech-bros.
Thanks, I hate it. :)

Always hated the clothing but their Wesco and Rios of Mercedes collabs are on point.

Edited by mlwdp

22 hours ago, mpukas said:

I'll just leave this here... I can't... can't even comment... 

BEWARE: read at your own risk. 

Well, that was surely the purple prose-iest denim description I've ever read. Occasionally I've had the idea that I should offer my writing services to this retailer or that, confident I could write a much better product description than them, but this is certainly the most egregious offender yet.

On 1/15/2024 at 3:32 AM, shredwin_206 said:

Also where’s some of the other guys who used to post a lot? 
@Cucoo

Oh don't you worry, I actually still have sufu open in one of those tabs that I never close! Boy was I confused/happy about that notification icon!

In short I'm still in denim, right now on wear day #423 in a pair of Sugar Cane Hawaii, I just went on to other obsessions :D At first it was photography and I spent ages and €€€ to build up a collection of vintage lenses to use on Sony full frame bodies, and after that I went down the mechanical keyboard rabbit hole. Trying out switches and keycaps like I used to try on jeans and shirts!

Happy to see the board is still around and active :) 

@Cucoo My eldest son is massively into keyboards and switches too. Every birthday and Christmas over the past few years he’s added to his collection. His goal is to get the loudest, clackiest keys he can find - we can hear him through the whole house!

I ask him how many keyboards does he need. He responds how many jeans do I need. Little sod. 

12 minutes ago, unders said:

@Cucoo My eldest son is massively into keyboards and switches too. Every birthday and Christmas over the past few years he’s added to his collection. His goal is to get the loudest, clackiest keys he can find - we can hear him through the whole house!

I ask him how many keyboards does he need. He responds how many jeans do I need. Little sod. 

:D I've been on that loudest fucking keyboard you can manage journey too. My home-office-adjacent wife is not amused :D But only a little while until she wants her own custom keyboard! (Just like she will want her own pair of Japanese denim any day now!)

There's actually a keycap set "inspired by Japanese Denim" by GMK called "indigo" but it missed the major opportunity of showing some fading instead of just all blue keycaps, so even with the selvedge line on the enter key I'm not interested ^^

Wait.. what?.. you’re replacing the keys on a modern keyboard with something akin to an Acorn Electron keyboard we had in junior school? .. Just to get a reassuring clackerty-clack sound when you type?

Sorry, I haven’t got the time to fall into a wormhole today but this will bug the shit out of me if I don’t get clarity on the subject ??

My 14yr old and 2 of his friends are going for a hike in the Peaks today with the intention of "we're just going to keep walking until we get to a point we've never been to before" .. no OS maps, no compass just tech.. I'm dropping them off at the end of civilisation when they get up.

"Dad, it's getting dark? can you pick us up, i think we're lost"

Ok what can you see?

"We see rocks, grass.. and some heather"

:D

@Double 0 Soul I’m no expert but the lad says it helps his gaming (something to do with how quick the key springs back when he’s smashing the living daylights out of it) and he gets satisfaction from the clacks, as you said. 

You can also get novelty key caps. For instance I’ve got these ‘Duckeys’ on the way for him: 

IMG_2171.thumb.jpeg.6be594830db3a8015d3dffeb44aea92a.jpeg

The prices some of the keyboards can get silly, but the vintage inspired ones look pretty cool. Here’s a very self-aware funny:

https://mechboards.co.uk/products/hyper-7-v4?variant=41877334720717

Good luck to the kids on their hike. Even more luck to you in locating them tonight…

Edited by unders

6 minutes ago, unders said:

The prices some of the keyboards can get silly. The vintage inspired ones look pretty cool: https://mechboards.co.uk/products/hyper-7-v4?variant=41877334720717

Wow. I'd never have thought it but suppose in reality as peeps are spending more time at the keyboard then makes sense cool keyboards are a thing.

Good luck to the hikers OO.

My lad's football comeback after 3 months off with kids growth / sports injury postponed today... it's 5C and the ground is good... boo hiss to the excessive health and safety police

12 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

My lad's football comeback after 3 months off with kids growth / sports injury postponed today... it's 5C and the ground is good... boo hiss to the excessive health and safety police

Rubbish. ‘cos the ground’s too hard? When I were a lad we played rugby on frozen ground, it’s good for your minerals. 

Wow! that's bonkers @unders look at the price of the mo-fos! .. a few weeks ago, i needed a small piece of English walnut, i didn't want to buy a board just for a small amount so i searched ebay for off-cuts and found chunky wooden replacement keyboard keys, i thought it quite novel to replace your keys with tactile wood but i never knew it stretched this far.. uber-nerd biz!

Yep good luck to the hikers.. can you believe i almost had to force them to take head torches.. "na, we're cool, we can use the torch on our phones if we're back late" ..ffs! it's a precaution, just take them and put them in your pocket.. i bet my bottom dollar, they're wearing them when they get back!

My kid plays 5 a'side twice a week with the academy kids @MJF9 .. it costs them £50 to hire an indoor astro pitch for 90mins so he and 4 of his mates v's 5 acadamy kids so they all chip in £5ea to play.. i'm not saying they always win.. it's usually 50/50 but let me put it this way.. you've got nothing to worry about regarding the future crop of tallent from SU acadamy :D

He txt me earlier in the week asking to be picked up there.. (it's not too far from where that tooled up 11yr old killed his foster mum by running her over in her own car which he'd stolen) .. i said, i will but i'm at work and i'm on the bike so you'll have to wait.. plus i'm not driving up there till after the rush hour traffic dies down, i probably wont get there till 7pm so you'd be better off getting the bus.. turns out, one of his mates had gone to swimming practice, two lived on the other side of the city so had caught a different bus which left two of them and there was a gang of kids hanging around their bus stop wearing balaclava's  :rolleyes:

I still need a bit of English walnut btw .. i appreciate this is a long shot?

8 hours ago, MJF9 said:

I never even knew keyboards were a thing!

@Cucoo good to see you're still around... 

Thanks! Pretty cool to see so many of the old gang still around :)

6 hours ago, Double 0 Soul said:

Wait.. what?.. you’re replacing the keys on a modern keyboard with something akin to an Acorn Electron keyboard we had in junior school? .. Just to get a reassuring clackerty-clack sound when you type?

Sorry, I haven’t got the time to fall into a wormhole today but this will bug the shit out of me if I don’t get clarity on the subject ??

:D Mechanical keyboards are a rabbit hole like many other enthusiast hobbies... it's not just about loud and clacky. People are enjoying different things, personally I like a tactile feel without an actual click best, and I'm even starting to lean towards silent switches. But sometimes a vintage looking and sounding loud beast of a keyboard is great fun. It's a bit like enjoying different denim weights ;) 

Then there's different form factors, keyboards with screens or knobs or both, and thousands of keycap sets in every style and color imaginable. One of the reasons of my dive into this world was when I saw this set with Japanese sublegends, I liked the look and that was that...

2024-01-2016_27.33-Kopie.thumb.jpg.838d0830206e5205d2f4e8b751c8caa0.jpg

Oh by the way, just today I got delivered a denim usb c cable! No chainstitch though :(

2024-01-2016_22.36-Kopie.thumb.jpg.583b4fecb95ccefef316b2ed5a35018d.jpg

On 1/19/2024 at 9:14 PM, shredwin_206 said:

I’ve never seen anyone rock any of their stuff. It’s all insane expensive 

There's no surprise that non of their clothes sales.

The original Black Bear Brand outdoor workwear aesthetic are completely abandoned, instead they turn for this tacky biker hippie abomination. what a shame that is.