Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

100% cotton stitching vs. poly-cotton stitching

I was always an advocate for 100% cotton stitching but I slowly embrace the beauty of having to repair less :D
After wondering why I have never broken stitches and now knowing that Resolute 710 is sewn with poly-cotton I appreciate it more. Also because the jeans till pucker in all the right places and the stitching still ages along the jeans.
Looking forward to the Mepse BigE which also uses poly-cotton stitching and how it helds up and will look.

I  always told the wife that spending 1000s on clothing in Tokyo and then hording the tags and bags was worthwhile...

We.saved a.good 10  quid on a beach bag. 

(Smug face)

20230702_133427.thumb.jpg.9fa9ee17a0404aeee5e8edb589128d90.jpg

Do you guys think fashion gentrification is a thing? As in, when you start seeing more rich people wearing the brands you like and the price of that thing going up? Not singling out any specific company. I read an article about it and wondered if you think there’s truth to it. I get that the supply chain problems for the last few years has probably been the biggest culprit but was curious what your take was. 

^Yea, absolutely. I’ve never heard that term used, but an easy example is workwear like Carhartt. Not even ten years ago, you could find dozens of pairs of them stuffed in alongside Dickies and other classic workwear at thrift stores all over. The double knee pants were pretty much standard issue for most construction work, and the jackets, overalls, etc just as popular in other trades, and their prices reflected that; even new pairs were something like $30-40. Now, you go to buy a new pair of Carhartts and not only do they cost like $80 but you have to race thousands of other ppl to the checkout like it’s a Supreme drop or something! Not to mention the fabric is way thinner and usually has stretch in it… but that’s a different topic.

I’m not entirely sure how supply chain issues figure into the fashion gentrification topic specifically, but I do know they’re a factor in manufacturing quality, in the sense that multiple industries (automotive is a relevant example from my life) have relaxed their manufacturing tolerances in response to not having enough workers or having huge turnover and insufficient training. Loads of people for the past few years have been getting brand new vehicles or replacement parts that don’t even work out of the box, or the quality is so poor that they break or break down within weeks or months. And I know it’s the same in many, many industries besides this. What boggles my mind is that so many of these corporations having “supply chain issues” and running their companies permanently short-staffed have been turning out record profits since the pandemic started. and yet they can’t afford to give their workers raises that are anywhere close to keeping up with inflation! but again, another topic…

Not wanting to change the subject from the Colonels question but I find it incredibly annoying dealing with companies and doctors surgeries that still use covid controls as.an excuse for.poor or delayed service.

I think gentrification is a thing in the fast fashion world but also in the luxury brand world. I’ll use Jason Mamoa as an example. He wears brands like Carhartt but also Wesco, Y2 leather and even Iron Heart. On the one hand, it’s kinda cool seeing him wear Japanese brands or specific boot brands because he understands quality. But, some celebrities have ‘handlers’ that buy their stuff for them so maybe there’s some who are only buying what’s popular. The celebrity effect is definitely real, especially when tens of thousands of followers on social media see what they’re wearing and want that thing. I call it the celebrity kiss of death.

I remember having the Rogue Territory Ridgeline jacket about 8-9 years ago. Nice jacket but I sold it because it didn’t breathe well and got dirty easily. Now it’s the celebrity jacket of choice worn by Daniel Craig, Ryan Reynolds and James McVoy. I don’t fault companies for having their stuff in films, but when that article of clothing is then branded as the 007 jacket it’s a bit much. 

3 minutes ago, Geeman said:

Not wanting to change the subject from the Colonels question but I find it incredibly annoying dealing with companies and doctors surgeries that still use covid controls as.an excuse for.poor or delayed service.

I’m sure it’s a necessary precaution. But, the pandemic is over with so not sure of the delays. Maybe a liability issue? I still see people wearing masks…in their cars

That’s a good point, it can happen with all kinds of brands, even luxury ones. I used to have a decent Kapital collection of pieces I got all for under $50 a piece online - that would have been 8-10 years ago or so. Now you can’t  hardly find anything of theirs for much under retail! Same with the brand Sassafras, who I always thought was really cool and underhyped back in the day, but I guess people have caught on now…

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some of the rules on some of  the subbreddits are ridiculous.  I’m not going to write a novel on a pair of denim, engineer boots, etc just to have a post qualify for some “subbReddit” etc.

Edited by mlwdp

Idk, I'm active on r/rawdenim and I think the "include a paragraph about the jeans" thing is only a suggestion. Lotta posts that don't have any blurb along with them. 

^Its true… a few months ago I was out w my partner, we were getting tacos at a late night truck in town, and the guy in line behind me (a tall, somewhat tough-looking man in an undeniably well-curated outfit) compliments my engineer boots. I turn and look at HIS boots and wow, can’t even remember what they were anymore but I don’t think I could hide the impression they made on me. We spoke about the construction of the soles and then about our pants and so on for a few minutes until it was our turn in line to order, and when we got our food and moved on my partner looked very thoughtful, then turned to me and said (paraphrasing), “wow, I’ve never had such an in depth conversation about my clothing before… not even with my sewing teacher… at first I thought he was flirting with you… is that what it’s like on your little forum?” :P

Sufu’s always been ahead of the curve in terms of metrosexuaity, mutual male support group, your bum DOESNT look big in that, etc. In these times of anxious millennials and Gen-Zers, middle-aged men with no friends (not me, honestly…) and an uncertain future for our world, everyone needs their own Sufu or just to wear nice denim and feel the love.

I remember getting stopped by the bartender at Beasley’s in Raleigh about my sc1947 awhile back.  He somehow knew that was the style I was wearing.

Good chicken sandwiches there btw if anyone here decides to take a stop in NC.

Fast fading vs. slow fading

I think the consensus here was/is that most (me included) prefer the slow fading denim and somehow look down on fast fading denim.
Somehow as a sign of cheaper denim and you have to earn the fades, yada yada. Also the slower fading denim might show more stages of fading and have another depth of fades, gives more hues and all.

Now, with the Denime Lot.220 by Warehouse I experience quite a quick fading denim and it's a nice change to get a worn in pair of jeans that still is structurally sound but yet faded whereas with slow fading denim you sometimes have broken stitches, worn through crotches before the denim really shows much wear. Of course, the down side of the fast fading denim would/could be that you also end up with a washed out denim down the line?

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK